Chapter 26
398 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Your Majesty, we thank you for welcoming our visit to celebrate this day together,” Jiang Wei started. “Surely, as a guest, and in honour of our good relationship, it is a courtesy for us to present a pleasant performance to entertain Your Majesty and the other honourable guests of this banquet.”

Tian Chen didn’t respond, waiting for his next words.

“As such, we have informed our Fifth Prince, Honorable Prince Xue, to prepare a performance that suited your taste and aesthetic. He has spent several months here in your inner palace. Hence, we believe that he can present a feast to your eyes,” Jiang Wei continued with a contemptuous smile towards Xue Lan.

Xue Lan didn’t show any reaction. Jiang Wei intentionally worded it so that he couldn’t refuse the ‘honour’, so why not accept the challenge?

He did perform in his previous life after all although it was cut short because Huang Xieli spilt her wine and made a fuss about it.

Tian Chen knew that it was a lie and was about to say something but Xue Lan spoke first.

“Yes, certainly. It would be rather rude of us to not express how grateful our nation is towards His Majesty’s magnanimity,” Xue Lan stood up. “Mo Shen, prepare the equipment.”

“Right away, My Lord,” Mo Shen bowed and promptly left.

Jiang Wei and Xue Nian’s faces turned doubtful. Did Xue Lan really prepare something for Tian Chen?

Tian Chen also felt uncertain. Could Xue Lan perform something with his frail legs?

Though he was worried, it would be a lie if he didn’t feel a little bit of anticipation.

Xue Lan reached the centre of the platform and Mo Shen returned at the same time. He handed a pair of gold paper fans which looked well together with Xue Lan’s black and gold robe. Afterwards, he stepped down with a flute in his hands.

They exchanged a glance and bowed together. The guests’ attention was all soon on them, wondering what Xue Lan’s performance would be.

Mo Shen signalled Xue Lan to keep an eye on the ceiling and gave a light wink before starting the music.

Xue Lan elegantly spread open his fans and took the first step of the routine. He glided across the platform softly like a wind spirit himself. His robe fluttered following his movement like that of a phoenix tail.

The fans in his hands were manipulated gracefully creating an illusion of butterfly wings expanding as his arms. His flexible waist bent and twisted in a calculated manner which made his dance look more dynamic.

His mysterious, mellow eyes invited those who fell upon them. It was both charming and deadly, giving a sense of dangerous desire to explore the poison hidden in his nectar. Every guest who got caught in his gaze instantly forgot to breathe.

Halfway through the routine, red petals rained down from above. It fluttered and swirled down around Xue Lan’s dance without touching him at all. Instead, it seemed like they were directed by him on where to land.

Once Xue Lan finished, the petals formed Qian Jin’s imperial crest on the ground. He slowly lowered his fan which covered his face, revealing his eyes which rested exactly at where Tian Chen was.

Tian Chen felt his chest was about to burst like fireworks. His heated gaze couldn’t tear away from the alluring fairy grasping his very soul.

He could hear his own loud heartbeat from deep love and exhilaration.

It was overwhelming.

It was maddening.

It was numbingly painful.

Xue Lan and Mo Shen bowed amidst the thunderous applause.

Mo Shen moved to carry Xue Lan off the platform but he was held back by Yang Huo. He turned with his eyebrow raised.

“Emperor’s order,” Yang Huo shortly stated.

As he said, Tian Chen got up and walked down towards the platform. Under everyone’s eyes, he bent down and personally carried Xue Lan into his arms.

Mo Shen saw Xue Lan’s look and obediently backed away.

“Your Majesty, this is–” Xue Lan turned his face away from Tian Chen.

“This is what, Prince Xue?” Tian Chen headed back to his seat. “Or do you wish to humiliate Us by rejecting Us in front of Our guests?”

Yes, that was actually one of his thoughts right now.

Of course, Xue Lan wouldn’t say that.

Huang Xieli watched the pair with a green face.

However affectionate Tian Chen was towards her in the past, he never lowered himself down just to show his favour towards her in public.

Tian Chen directly placed Xue Lan by his side.

Nobody was surprised. If they were the Emperor they would also want the Honorable Prince to accompany them throughout the night.

The head eunuch prompted to resume the banquet and music started playing again. The concubines performed one after another afterwards, but they all fell inferior compared to Xue Lan’s magical performance.

Xue Nian and Jiang Wei had mixed feelings about the compliments given to them by the guests around them although they were pointed specifically to Xue Lan.

They knew about Xue Lan’s favourable situation in Qian Jin, but they didn’t expect it to be this good. It would be advantageous to them if Xue Lan cooperated with their plan, but from Han Jinli’s report, Xue Lan seemed to be siding with Qian Jin’s Emperor.

That made him the most dangerous risk right now.

“Your Highness, Fifth Prince is using the bed tricks we trained him to his own advantage. His Majesty the King does not need an ingrate slut as his descendant,” Jiang Wei seethed.

“Do not be hasty, Third Councilor. This is a good chance for us,” Xue Nian stared at Xue Lan up above with sinister thoughts. “All we need to do is put him back in place.”

Mo Shen read their conversation through their lips from Xue Lan’s table and rubbed his chin in thought.

So they were the ones who trained Xue Lan.

He looked forward to what Xue Lan would do to them.t

Though technically, he would do all the labour though.

At Tian Chen’s table, the two people sat with a gap between them. Now that he brought Xue Lan to his table out of impulse, he didn’t know what to do.

If he asked Xue Lan to feed him, it would be no different than how he treated Xue Lan as a consort.

“Prince Xue, you must be tired. Please have a drink,” he decided to offer him his cup.

“This subject does not dare to drink from the same cup as Your Majesty,” Xue Lan refused.

As if hearing their conversation, Mo Shen came up with Xue Lan’s own cup and a jug of water. He lowered his head to Tian Chen before pouring a cup for Xue Lan.

“Your attendant is truly capable, is he not? Too capable one might say,” Tian Chen said through gritted teeth.

“Yes, he is. This subject is reassured having him by his side,” Xue Lan unhesitantly agreed as he drank.

“This servant is honoured to be of service to you, My Lord,” Mo Shen smiled.

“Indeed, one could be lonely in this palace. Especially Prince Xue who came from a distant land. Surely, you will need someone to comfort your heart,” Tian Chen drank a mouthful and his attendant poured a new batch. “But since you are no longer Our consort, the honour is not Ours, is it not?”

Xue Lan silently sipped his own drink.

“You will not even deny it for Our sake?” Tian Chen downed another cup in frustration.

“Will you be happy if this subject lies to you, Your Majesty?” Xue Lan turned to Tian Chen. “Everything that came out of this subject’s mouth is only the truth. This subject chose not to defend himself if that means he would be lying to you. Rather, what is the purpose of lying when Your Majesty is all-knowing regarding every matter? Forgive this subject if he is mistaken, do you prefer me to be someone who spoke sugar-coated lies to rest Your Majesty’s agitation?”

“…”

Tian Chen felt his throat was blocked with a lump of thorns. He couldn’t answer Xue Lan’s question when he himself didn’t know what he wanted.

If Xue Lan admitted to his affair with his own attendant, he would surely feel enraged yet satisfied with Xue Lan’s honesty.

If Xue Lan lied, he felt that though he would be disappointed by his dishonesty, he would also be happy that he tried to cover it up for his sake.

Either way, his heart would be in a mess.

“What do you want me to do, Your Majesty?” Xue Lan asked again.

Tian Chen gazed deeply at Xue Lan, “We want you.”

“…” Xue Lan looked away, “…This subject is already yours just like everything under heaven.”

“You belong to Us as the Emperor,” Tian Chen caressed Xue Lan’s hand. “I want you to belong to me as Tian Chen.”

“I’m afraid your entity cannot be separated from your status so easily, Your Majesty,” Xue Lan slowly pulled his hand away.

22