Chapter 9 – The Cananes
1.6k 5 85
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"Venn, what was all that disturbance about just now?" A man behind a stall asked as he walked up with a young woman behind him.

"Don't mind that, Rirn. It was just Krel trying to cheat the young lady, and the guards had to step in to prevent him from driving a wedge in between her and the town." Venn said, and brushed it away. Drom nodded.

"Yeah, don't worry, Rirn. The reason we're here is to introduce you to this young lady..., um oh, that was stupid of me! I forgot to ask your name in my rush to stop that idgit from bothering you." Drom said and slapped his forehead. For the first time, Drom saw a smile appear on the girl's face.

"My name is Aila. And you are?" She asked. Drom smiled sheepishly.

"Drom. This is my friend, Venn. Rirn, I know I'm sounding foolish now, but this is Aila. Please take care of her as you normally would. Krel tried to rip her off, which didn't make her happy at all." Drom said, which made Rirn nod.

"I can understand. That person tends to throw his ample weight around." Rirn said seriously. He looked at Aila. "Hello, Aila. My name is Rirn, and I'd be happy to help. Hm, a flame wolf. Hide is in pretty good condition too." Aila nodded.

"I nailed him last night and gutted him for the organ meat. Not bad when fried, but without salt, it has a strong flavor." She tugged at her hospital gown. "Also, this is not appropriate for the forest. If I can sell this wolf, I'd like something easier to move in." He looked at the piece she wore, and pursed his lips.

"It's a fine woven fabric, but you are correct. Forest work is difficult in that kind of robe. What would suit you? There is burlap, but I don't recommend it." He took out a fabric sample, followed by another one. "There is also cotton, and leather. Leather would protect your skin better in the forest, and it's processed thinly enough to make it easier to move. It will work in over time, and if you add a lining, it will keep you warm in the winter." He said, and watched her face, so he could better gauge her response.

"I think leather is better than fabric. Do you have it already made in my size?" She asked.

"Hm, you're not much larger then a boy approaching twelve, no offense. You're quite slight in stature." She nodded as he looked her over. "I might have what you need, but it might need a slight trim. Since you carry a sword, the belt can fit a sheathe, or a holder that would allow you to put the sword away while in towns."

"That sounds quite good. So how do we do this, Rirn?" Venn and Drom had walked away by now, and let Aila handle her business.

"Well, let me call my lady to watch the stall. I'll take you to the blacksmith, he can skin it, and we can take the carcass to the butcher. That will give you two sources of silver, rather then me pay you a lump sum, which will be much lower then both combined." Rirn said. Aila tilted her head.

"How will you make any money that way?" She asked. He grinned.

"You need clothes, so I'll make it on that end. I don't need you to lose coin in order to make a profit. I just need to help you get the things you need." Rirn said and walked towards the back alley. Aila pursed her lips, and nodded.

"I like this guy. I bet he's a rare one."

 

* * *

 

"Rirn! Aren't you watching your stall for no customers?" The man laughed a bit, while Rirn rolled his eyes.

"You're no better, Toril. Aren't all our customers chased away from town because of the Inaris clan?" Rirn said, and watched the man snort.

"Well, true enough." His eyes traveled to Aila, and what she had in her hand. "A flame wolf?"

"Yes, this young lady is the hunter. Did you want to skin it for her and buy the hide?" Rirn asked with a slight grin. Toril jumped up off the crate he sat on and grinned.

"Do I? By a stone bear's balls, don't I ever! But why didn't you bring it and make a profit?" Toril asked.

"She needs the coin more then I do. As you can see, her clothes need to be taken care of so she can move around the forest more easily." Rirn said, and watched Toril slowly nod.

"Makes sense." he said, and watched as Aila sniffed the air.

"Rirn, is there something you want to tell me? He doesn't smell like a human." Aila said, and watched Toril's eyes go from a narrowed mirthful look into a wide eyed surprised look.

"You can tell that by scent? Are you a demi, child?" Toril asked.

"No. I was sick for a long time, and my nose is sensitive to scents. Medicine. Food." She looked at him carefully. "Wolves." Toril grinned wide, and took off his hood. His beard was thick, a dark brown with white woven in, and similar to the chest fur of a wolf.

"You must have some Cananes blood in you, girl." He laughed and touched his slightly drooping ears that were on the top sides of his head rather then the side like a normal human.

"Cananes." She frowned slightly. "Canine? Maybe werewolf?" She asked. Again, he looked startled.

"You know of the sacred ancestors of the Cananes?" He asked. At her look of confusion, he started to explain. "Once, long ago, the Werewolf was a monstrous beast that lived on the other side of the mountain. Our stories don't tell us how it happened, but the great wolves mated with humans and the result was the Cananes. We don't tell others our ancestry, as we've learned there is a lot of ancestral hatreds between our kind, and some human clans." Aila nodded.

"Makes sense. The werewolf is extremely strong, but wild and free of any chain of civilization." She said, and couldn't help but remember those stories she once read, or watched on television, and how they turned out. Werewolves were always hunted down, and could never tame their own innate savagery.

"Human clans don't like those stronger then they are." Rirn said, which made both Toril and Aila nod in agreement.

"True enough. Humans are an odd bunch." Toril said.

"You crooked beast, you know I said human clans!" Aila thought a fight would start, but watched as Toril laughed loudly. Apparently, they had a good friendship, and would rib each other for fun.

"Well, I can buy the hide, and show you how to do it properly so you won't waste it on your next hunt. Come on. Bring that beast inside. I'll show you how I do it." Then he grinned again.

"Oh, and don't forget to bring the wolf with you too."

 

85