Chapter 19 – Death Elements Love the Living
1.6k 9 78
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"A corpse?" The Black One said, as she was confused. "I use corpses to absorb dark elements, as the traditions of Underground Black have taught us, but it's dark, not death." she said. Aila turned to the guards behind the one in black, and watched how uncomfortable they appeared.

"You've not told her?" She asked, her voice rose in power, but not volume. Immediately, Aila grew angry, and her eyes turned into glowing molten metal orbs.  Metal was an advanced version of earth, but molten metal indicated chaotic flame elements as well.  Her eyes didn't actually turn to molten metal, as she would have to heal from it. Instead, it was a visual manifestation of what elemental essence now rampaging within her.

"Not told me? You mean I do absorb death elements?" She asked. She was surprised.

"Even the weakest of the gate guards of Aros know that corpses not beheaded gather death elements. Dark elements gather at night, not in corpses." She pointed at the guards. "They know it as well." When she pointed at them, the guards felt an incredible amount of energy start to circulate around them, and it didn't feel peaceful. They looked at each other, and made a decision that would save their lives.

"Forgive us, Black One!" They lowered themselves to the paved street, and bowed deep with their foreheads on the stone pavers.

"If she forgives you, it is up to her. If she doesn't, you'll find out what death elements do to living people." Aila said. The guards crawled backward, quite unwilling to endure what had just been pronounced against them. The Black One's eyes narrowed a bit.

"I need them to return home safely." She said in a soft whisper. "My sister is there, alone, among those who have lied to me and her for years." Both herself and her sister knew that some things were not revealed to them, and now she knew one of them.  Aila slowly nodded.

"I understand." The suction of the elements upon her body increased in pressure, even while Aila's eyes were open. Active absorption of the elements required utmost concentration for everyone, due to the possibility of them absorbing an incompatible element. Aila didn't have this limitation.

"Your body is weaker due to being exposed to those death elements." The Black One's eyes opened wide as she felt her body get pulled forward, and Aila put her hands on her wrists. She was actually sucked up from the ground and pulled forward by wind elemental essence.

"You should get rid of the corpses as soon as possible." Aila said, while her eyes glowed green. "Let me see if I can heal you a bit. I'm not as experienced with life as I am with death."

The Black One felt awe and wonder as the young woman in front of her showed so many different affinities, even ones completely opposite of each other, which should have weakened her. It was obvious to anyone watching that she had no such weakness. As a soothing warm wind entered her body, she heard a soft whisper inside her mind.

'I hope I can heal her properly. She needs some strength in order to protect herself from those who wish to bring her harm. I wonder if there are dark elemental cores out there.'

Aila had no clue that her thoughts had been transmitted to the woman in front of her. Even while she healed her of the injuries she sustained by channeling incompatible elements.  Aila's thoughts were of helping her more than she did now. She knew what it felt like to be helpless, and at the mercy of others.

The Black One had only felt this warmth from her sister, and it made her feel a bit shy. Even though Aila's body had not matured due to her illness, all the work she did with the elements since she came to this world had hardened her muscles into iron. Since she had life elemental essence, whenever her muscle was worn, it would heal and become stronger as a result. When earth elements were added, her strength increased significantly, and her physique improved.

She had a soft flare to her hips and a small chest, but her full lips, and lovely facial features drew the Black One's attention. If not for the green glowing eyes, Aila would be pretty.

With her glowing emerald eyes, a question floated through the Black One's mind that all Aila's followers would ask when they witnessed her strength.

'Is she a god?'

 

* * *

 

"Where do you live?" Aila asked after she had healed the Black One's body as much as she was currently able. Aila tilted her head.

"Underground Black, a separate place in Aros." She said quietly.

"Death elements disperse your natural life elements, so it made you appear older." She reached up and touched the now obviously young woman's cheek.

"I haven't felt this good in so many years." She said and sniffed. She leaned into Aila's touch with her cheek.

"Come. It's not good for a young woman to sit on the stone." Aila stood up and lifted the Black One as she did. She turned her head slightly and looked at the Black Guards. Her eyes began to glow bright red.

"When I come back to Aros, if she is not safe, I will destroy everyone who claims to be from Underground Black." She looked back into the Black One's eyes and smiled gently. "I'll make sure I learn more about using life element so I can fix you properly." Aila leaned in and put her lips near the Black One's ear.

"I look forward to seeing you again."

 

* * *

 

She looked at her guards, and rolled her eyes. The Black One didn't have any intention of soothing their jittery nerves as Aila's last look at her guards was quite unfriendly.

Aila took a few steps out of her way, and ran fast enough that the dust around them was stirred up. Her guards had paled when she left as the speed she could use on a whim was well beyond anyone they had any knowledge of.

Once back at Underground Black, she saw her sister at the door. The Black One smiled a bit as she entered and took her sister's hand.

"Come on, sister. I have a lot to tell you." The Seer looked at her sister's face and was shocked to see a woman she hadn't seen in years. The Black One now looked like a woman in her mid thirties, and sounded a lot healthier than she had been for a long time.

Once she was pulled into the private living room, the Seer was embraced tightly.

"You don't leak! Sister, what happened? How come you look so much younger, and you don't leak anymore?" The Seer was excited. She felt her sister's hands settle on her bottom, and started to blush. Her eyes were narrowed slightly, and there was a soft smile on her lips.

"I've wanted to do this for so long, sister. It's been years since I've been able to seek your comfort." The Seer had her lips captured by her twin sister, so she quickly wrapped her arms about The Black One's waist.

As they had been isolated within Underground Black, and kept practically as prisoners in their own home, they could only turn to each other for comfort, and affection.

As they wrapped themselves around each other, Aila was already at her home. She was quite satisfied with how much elemental essence she absorbed, and the silver she earned. She smiled a little as she remembered that young woman's shy look while she flooded her body with life elements.

"Have I found myself a princess to rescue?" Aila asked as she walked back inside the fence, drew her sword and ran around her manor. In less time than it took her to run from Aros to here, she killed five different assassins hidden around her property. Her eyes narrowed.

"Looks like they haven't given up. I wonder what kind of lesson they need." The last assassin lined up a shot with his bow. Even though the losses of this operation were high, he would be able to complete it.

His jaw slackened, and his mouth fell open as the arrow was deflected even though she didn't look at him. His eyes rolled up before he fell out of the open rafters of her home.

"Death elements love the living. Don't you know that?" Aila said as she stood over him. "Who sent you?" She asked. He groaned as he felt a chill envelop his body. "I'll behead you properly if you tell me. If you don't, I'll drop your body in Aros before you turn." His teeth clenched.

"Assassin." He gasped out. "Inaris." The chill faded from his body, which made him look up. Her eyes glowed green.

"I'll take care of the others while you take back a warning. I see one more assassin, I'll destroy your guild and everyone within. Now leave before my neighbors realize that I don't like you and want to eat you to keep me happy." Aila dragged him out the door and closed it behind him.

Once his strength returned, he heard the growls and howls of the beasts in the forest that he had once been confident he could avoid. The assassin now understood that the only reason he and his fellows were able to get to the manor is because they were reluctant to approach her home.

He was alone, surrounded by enemies, and the beasts were no longer reluctant to attack him. She had already killed five of his companions, and showed them how vulnerable they were. He took a deep breath, took out his grapple, and climbed the closest tree.

"I hope there are no stone bears around." He whispered, and started the long trip back to Aros. "Or storm wolves. Those dumb bastards will follow me the entire way."

 

78