Chapter 57 – To the Victor
783 1 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"We've received word from some of the guards near Underground Black." The steward said after he put the report on the Union Master's desk.

"I never thought they would gather their courage." He said before he picked up the report. "Looks like they believe they have no choice. They are readying every single member." He shook his head.

"That lady has grown even stronger over the last few weeks, and killed black panthers. Even at full strength, they had no chance against a black panther. Without their 'Great Ancestor', they are simply a garrison of reasonably strong soldiers." He smirked.

"Let our partners know to get set up at the forest's edge. I have a feeling they will go straight in and hope to overwhelm her with numbers." He stood up. "Tell our men we'll set out after they leave the gates of Aros. The guild will take out their front ranks, and we'll come in behind to mop them up." The steward bowed.

"And Underground Black itself?" The steward asked.

"It will be up to the two stewards to map the entire area out. Send word to the capital, the main branch, and request assistance to transfer ownership. The lady at the manor will have the Black One and the Seer sign it over to us as compensation." He grinned.

"To the victor, go the spoils."

 

* * *

 

"Into the trees, men." The Guild Master said, but looked around.

"Boss, this place feels restless. Like it's watching us." One of his men said. The Guild Master looked at Bass, as if asking for confirmation.  He got it.

"Worse." Bass said, and shivered. "The forest felt wild that day. Today, it feels vindictive, and angry."

"We made a deal with the woman in the forest. We will kill all the Black Guards, and whether it's here, or within their walls, we'll fulfill our bargain." He said firmly. Bass frowned.

"So odd. The forest calmed a bit." He shook his head. "I don't want to piss her off. I'll get hidden." The rest quickly found a tree near the main path, and hid their presence.

The Guild Master looked around one last time, and climbed a monster of a tree that faced the entrance to the forest.

He was ready.

 

* * *

 

"We're waiting for the signal. Once ready, head out the gate, keep your gear silent, and head for the forest path. Do not enter the forest. Just prevent any Black Guards from returning alive." The Guild Master said and wrapped a piece of cloth around his sword hilt before he slid it into the sheathe.

"Understood." The steward handed cloth bands to the mercenaries they gathered. They had one hundred mercenaries, all ranging from high elemental essence refining up to mid base realm. Though their individual strengths were lower, their overall strength was at least three times higher.

"Sir! They've left Underground Black in formation!" A scout reported, and quickly left again.

"Get readied in the front courtyard. Once we have confirmation, we'll pursue."

 

* * *

 

"They're here." Bass whispered. He looked through the spyglass. "The remaining Black Guards are here." He knocked three times, then knocked five with a short gap between the two numbers.

The assassins pulled out their bows, and readied an arrow. Once the Black Guards came within range, they would wait until they were almost underneath them, and rain down death upon them.

Like a set of soldier toys, the Black Guards were held in formation by their superior discipline. In a battle, this would be a superior fighting method, as each guard could protect his partner's side, while he protected his neighbor's back.

This was not a typical battle though. It was a wild forest, filled with wild beasts, and the weakest of those beasts were stronger than a single Black Guard.

However, to everyone's surprise, they heard a single voice that sent shivers of dread through everyone.

"I expected you to come to me long before this."

 

* * *

 

Aila had already arranged this hours ago. She had run ahead to Aros and could sense the disturbance over in Underground Black, so she knew what they were going to do.

On her left, Alara stood beside the female stone bear that Aila had saved a while ago. On her right, Ivadra stood beside the male stone bear. Aila reached out and lightly scratched the sides of the bear's heads, and sent a sliver of earth elements into their bodies.

Her elemental source was extremely pure, and it made them quite happy to accept it into their bodies.

"Bears. See these men?" Aila asked. Both nodded once, which made the Black Guards falter. "These men wish to bring harm to my mates. Alara, give the she-bear the meat I gave you. It's a treat. Ivadra, give the big old bear the meat too." She grinned. "I'll make sure to bring you a whole one in the winter, when it's better to stay warm in the cave."

The bears happily ate the python meat. Even though Alara and Ivadra had some fear, they still did as they were instructed. Alara grew bolder than was her norm, and lightly rubbed the bear's cheek.

"Thank you." She said. "These men served an undead lich and planned to sacrifice us to it. Now, they want to take us from Master." She grew angry, as did the she-bear.

"Thank you, grandpa bear." Ivadra said. "I want to protect my sister, but I am too weak. Master is making us stronger though. In the future, I will drop off a few kills in the winter too." She leaned into the bear's side and put her lips at his ear. "Make sure not to let the she-bear fight too much. She's going to be pregnant soon." The old bear turned a little, and saw the clean intentions in her warning.

Without waiting for instructions, he rushed forward in a rage.

"What did you say to him?" Alara asked. Ivadra smiled.

"That big softy loves his mate." She said with a smile. "She's close to her pregnancy cycle, and with Master's encouragement, she'll be pregnant soon." Aila grinned.

"Alright, I'll respect your arrangement with grandpa bear." She put her hand on the she-bear's head. "Let your mate do the killing." She looked into the trees. "Thin them out so he doesn't waste his winter fat."

"Done." A single voice spoke, and a hail of arrows fell on the Black Guards. With arrows above, and an enraged beast ahead, the Black Guards knew they just threw the dice on a bad gamble.

As the rear ranks tried to run for their lives, the front and middle ranks were decimated in the first minute of combat.

The bear walked back and looked at Aila.

"Don't worry. You've done me a favor, and I'll repay that with a nice fat python. The rest are already dead just outside the forest." She walked over to the she-bear, and put her hand on the bear's belly. Green life elements flooded her middle.

"I predict three cubs." Aila said softly in the she-bear's ear. "Stay on my border, but run for my walls if something goes wrong. Don't wait to die. I protect my belongings." The she-bear nodded, and though she was told she belonged to Aila, she felt some comfort from that knowledge. Aila radiated so much elemental essence, the other beasts were afraid to come out.

The stone bears left, and the assassins descended from the trees. The Guild Master looked at her carefully.

"Strip the bodies and take what is useful. Behead them, and leave them for the wolves." Aila said and turned away. "Good and loyal men will receive a Final Rest, and a funeral pyre. Evil men will get nothing but gnawed upon."

The Guild Master shivered when Aila left as her eyes had turned as black as a lump of coal, and radiated some death elements to let him know she could be kind, but also unkind if she so chose.

"You heard her. Cut off the heads, and strip off anything valuable. We'll take over the empty part of town when the Union Master from the capital comes to do the transfer." He smiled.

"We now have a new headquarters, and training area."

 

40