Chapter 64 – Worthless
662 3 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"Sir! She's here again!" The steward of the Mercenary Union ran into the Union Master's office.

"Is she upset?" He asked quietly. The steward blinked.

"Um, now that you mention it, she didn't appear to be upset. Maybe she has legitimate business with us? Shall I show her in?" The Union Master nodded. A minute later, Aila walked in, and smiled.

"Just let Rirn know when your representative comes, or send a messenger from the Assassin's Guild. Bass, I think that's his name, is someone I know." She said with a grin. The Union Master, Kolr, chuckled. The young woman was quite irreverent.

"Alright, I can do that. But why have you come? You didn't come here to pass a message you could have given to the guards at the gate." He said. Kolr saw her grin a bit.

"One of my people wants to acquire spice seeds, or seedlings." She said, and watched him become uncomfortable. "I see. It is controlled that heavily."

"Unfortunately, yes. The nobility of Thules Kingdom controls the import, and well as the places that spices are sold. They keep the prices quite high." He said. Aila pursed her lips.

"So either I go knock down the walls of the capital, or I go over to Teshele and see if they will sell me some." She rolled her eyes, while he turned white. "So bothersome."

"You would deal with our enemy?" He asked incredulously. She snorted.

"Our? I think you're mistaken on your views. Ever since I came to this cursed kingdom, I've been attacked by assassins, mercenaries, and a damned lich. None of you could handle that thing, but I killed it easily. The king never sent anyone to handle it either. As far as I'm concerned, the king doesn't exist as a ruler. If he wants to test the limits of my patience, I am getting near to the end of them." She stood up, and before she could turn away, she spoke again.

"I suggest you send a message and make the request. This kingdom has not made a good impression on me, so there is no reason why I have to keep beating back the rank four black panthers I see a lot more of." He stood up.

"Keep beating back? There were more than those two?" He asked.

"Two more I took care of recently, in that abandoned mine close to town." She shook her head. "Your king is ignorant of the reality right on his border. Rank four river pythons are spreading out. Rank three iron tusked boars are growing in number, and flame wolves are pushing the storm wolves out of the old forest." She rolled her eyes. "Not to mention the fact that the forest is growing stronger and spreading, so are the beasts."

"You won't have a flood of materials. You'll have a flood of victims."

 

* * *

 

"Steward." The steward entered the office, and closed the door.

"What's wrong? You look like you've seen a zombie." The steward said.

"Worse. Report after report, now confirmed. Black panthers are moving into the area. She said she killed two at the nearby abandoned iron mine." Kolr said.

"So close? That means...sweet Imera, how are we going to keep living if this keeps spreading?" He asked.

"She asked for spice seeds. If we don't provide them, she'll go to Teshele to get them, and she won't provide any assistance to help us." Kolr closed his eyes.

"But...surely the king..." He shook his head.

"That girl knows the deal. He won't care if some small towns disappear, and will continue to bury his head up his ass until all the small towns are gone, and the cities become targets!" He growled. "And one last piece of news that will strike fear into us, but make Teshele extremely happy."

"What news, sir?" The steward asked, but was quite sure he didn't want to know the answer.

"The forests are expanding."

 

* * *

 

"Report." The old man sat huddled under a blanket, slowly eating hot soup prepared by the private chef he kept on staff.

"An extremely powerful elementalist has appeared in Aros. Kills rank four black panthers and river pythons, and sells the materials to a few favored merchants." The guard said. The old man frowned slightly.

"This isn't anything new. It has been several weeks since this person appeared."

"True, sire. However, this person isn't pleased with the kingdom. Mercenaries attacked her twice. Assassins as well. Now, the rules around spices has made her 'unhappy'." he said. The old man turned slightly.

"Unhappy? Explain."

"The Union Master sent a message to the capital's Union Master a week ago. She took care of the Great Ancestor of Underground Black, and has agreed to sign the area over to the two powers, the Mercenary Union, and the Assassin's Guild." He said. "A peace offering. Another message was sent today. Black panthers are appearing. The forest is expanding. If she is not happy, she won't extend a helping hand." The old man frowned, but nodded.

"She lives right among the beasts, and has no fear of them. She does not need to help. Spices?" He asked.

"Yes, Sire."

"You know I'm retired." He waved his hand to indicate his guard shouldn't use the title. "I'll talk with my hard headed son, and see if he can pull his head out of his wife's ass long enough to breathe." The guard smothered a chuckle.

"Seems unlikely, sir." The guard said. "Doesn't even know she's sleeping with some of his own guards, and in their own bed." The old man grumbled under his breath a bit.

"His flame elements should burn away any trace of drugs in his food." The old man grumbled. "He's not drugged. He's just that stupid. How did I choose him to sit on the throne over his brother?"

"The Prime Minister, sir." The guard said, and moved back to his position. The old man thought for a moment.

"Ambitious bastard. I thought he was just a bit blind for a woman. Instead, he'll hand over the entire kingdom to another family, or cause it to fall." He finished his soup, and sat back.

"Send my foolish son, the Silver King, the blindness potion from the archives." The guard was told.

"The blindness potion, sir? That is just a bottle of water. A symbol of...oh. I understand." The guard bowed.

"If he doesn't get the message, make sure to present it in court, and embarrass the stones out of him." The old king said. "If he doesn't get it yet, after so many hints, I might have to send poor Ava somewhere safe."

"Understood, Your Majesty, King Brer."

 

38