Chapter 32
115 5 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The last weeks of winter flew by. The party did as they planned and provided a huge store of food for the bat people. The bat people had decided to move closer to the cavern entrance. They didn’t want to keep competing with the spider people and were willing to trade with the humans. The bat people had access to and knowledge of the unique resource in the caverns, and the humans could produce far more food. Both races would benefit greatly.  

Thokri told the bat people that the dwarves would like to mine the mithril and would build them a town in exchange for access to the veins. The bat people were ecstatic at the idea of dwarven buildings and immediately agreed, giving Thokri’s clan sole mining rights.  

The move went quickly. The bat people just left most of their things behind. It was less work to make new ones than fly carrying packs.  

The party made sleds out of scorpion armor and mushroom stalks. They needed them to move all the food they had preserved.  

They moved into the former lair of the kobolds. The former occupants were nothing more than scattered bones, food for the denizens of the caves. The bat people began to organize the supplies left behind by the kobolds. When the party started to help, they were shooed way, being told they had done enough and should set out for home soon.  

They left the bat people and walked back to the cavern entrance. George joined them to see them off.  

“My clan will be back in about half the time it takes a woman to carry a baby,” Thokri said. The bat people didn’t count time by days and weeks, so that was the simplest way to explain how long to George.  

“We will welcome them. Thank you all for all you have done for us,” George said.  

Anna acted as the interpreter still. While they had developed a sign language, it was still too crude for complex conversations like this.  

George handed her a pouch. She took it and looked inside. It was filled with the sweet mushrooms.  

“Come back anytime you want more,” he said.  

“I will,” she replied.  

The party walked out of the cavern. The entrance had been widened, most likely by the spider people, so they didn’t need to squeeze or take off their packs.  

They stepped out into the open. It was early evening. The land was bathed in an orange glow that seemed to set the snow ablaze.  

She drank in the colors for a moment and then looked down at her hands. They were caked in dirt and maybe some bug innards. Looking over the rest of her, she was truly filthy. Her normally bright and happily colored hair was stiff and dark with dirt and other things.  

“Yuck,” she said, rubbing it between her fingers.  

“Lass, you look like a rock troll took a shit on you, and then you rolled in it,” Thorki said.  

“That was very descriptive,” Voekeer said.  

“Lass, I’m gonna pay for a bath for you at the first ass crack town we find, but you might want to clean up a bit first. We don’t want them to think a turd just walked in the door,” Thokri said.  

She looked around some, not seeing a stream.  

“Use the snow,” Thokri said, shaking his head.  

She took a handful of the crusty snow. It was only knee deep at this point, and she began scrubbing her arms, legs, and face.  

“Can I borrow your brush and comb?” she asked Thokri.  

“No. I’d have to burn them after you were done,” he replied.  

“It was worth a try,” Anna said.  

“Lad, come back to us and tell me where the nearest settlement is?” Thokri asked.  

Voekeer and Lyreen and been holding hands and watching the sunset.  

“Yes, hold on,” Voekeer replied, seeming to come back to reality.  

He took out the worn rag that was the map. After a year in his pouch, he examined it and then started to grin. “There happens to be a carriage stop. Possibly the first one heading back. It’s two days from here,” Voekeer said.  

The others started to smile and nod. Anna just looked at all of them, raising a brow.  

“Sorry, I forgot you haven’t seen one. Nobles and wealthy merchants use carriages to travel. Carriages are like carts, but with an enclosed room on the top. Anyway, a carriage stop is exactly what it sounds like. Carriages stop there to rest the animals and repair any damage they received on the road, and because they cater to wealthier clients, they are much nicer than an inn. Normally the likes of us wouldn’t be allowed in such a place, but we happen to have a noble who is carrying a license signed by the queen herself with us,” Voekeer said, pointing at Elaine who curtsied.  

“Onward, to the bath,” Elaine said, pointing to the road.  

The road was surprisingly clear of snow. Anna assumed it was because of the traffic, and the fact it was made from stone.  

The trip took the expected time, and they approached the carriage stop early in the morning on the third day out from the cave.  

The stop was huge, two or even three times the size of any other inn she had seen. The path leading to it was fine stone instead of the usual dirt or cobbles.  

“I’ll need you all to stay here. I’ll get us in, and then snap my fingers for you to join me. Normally a servant would speak first, but the sight of Anna would most likely have them bar the doors,” Elaine said.  

“Am I that bad?” Anna asked.  

“Lass, your smell alone might kill weaker men,” Thokri said. 

 She sniffed herself. “It’s not that bad. Then again, I can’t really tell what smells good or bad to normal people,” she thought and shrugged.  

Elaine walked to the doorman, strutting like a queen, even in her dirty peasant dress.  

“She really is a noble,” Voekeer said.  

“I have a hard time seeing her as anything but the woman who raised an army of the dead,” Lyreen said.  

“Who says she can’t be both?” Anna asked.  

Lyreen thought about it. “You’re right. She can be both,” she said.  

Elaine handed the doorman the letter and somehow managed to look down her nose at him even though he was nearly a foot taller. Anna could see the exchange clearly. The man seemed to sneer at her, then he took the letter, his eyes widening as he read it.  

When he finished, he bowed to her and opened the door. She snapped her fingers and waved them over. They passed the doorman who sniffed in displeasure as Anna walked by. The look his face told her that he regretted that decision immediately.  

“That’ll teach you,” she thought.  

The inside was different from any other building she had seen. The floors were dark, polished wood. The walls were covered in a green velvet, tooled to look like vines. Carved beams lined the ceiling with lamps hanging down. They were quite bright and sparkled some.  

“Magic?” Anna thought.  

Booths lined the walls, taking the place of the usual tables and chairs. Well-dressed young men walked around stiffly and took orders, bringing out food as well. There was not a barmaid in sight. She looked around some more.  

“I don’t like it,” she thought.  

They were led to the baths immediately, a sperate one for men and women. Voekeer looked crestfallen upon hearing this.  

“Just burn it,” Anna said, handing her dress to the young woman in the dressing room. She looked at the stinking rags and pointed at a corner to toss it in. She threw it in said corner and fished out her yellow dress. It seemed like the perfect time to wear it.  

She opened the oil skin and pulled out the dress, shaking it lightly. It smelled of mildew, so she handed it to the woman.  

“How about this one?” Anna asked.  

The woman took the dress and sniffed. “It can be saved,” she replied, putting it on the table behind her.  

The others had undressed as well and placed their far less filthy clothing on the table.  

“How in the name of the gods did you get that dirty?” Elaine asked.  

“Must have been on the trip to the deep ground,” Anna replied.  

“Right, I forgot you did that. You were only gone two weeks,” Elaine said.  

They entered the bath area. It was divided into two sections. The first being an open area to wash off. The second was a large steaming pool. The whole room had a floral scent. They moved to wash off.  

She was stopped by a young woman who just shook her head and grabbed a stool for her to sit on, and for the second time in her life, she was being scrubbed by someone else. Her companions snickered at her as they washed themselves, coming over to aid the poor maid as they finished.  

“You don’t want to do that. Give me the brush. You don’t want to see what we wash out,” Elaine said to the woman.  

After the scrubbing, they walked to the bath. Several maids were using brooms to push the gunk that washed off her into the drain. Anna was the first in the bath. The steaming bath felt about the same as any other warm water to her, but the others had to slowly get in.  

“This feels sooo good,” Lyreen said. Elaine just groaned in agreement.  

“Remember, not too long. Make sure you sit on that bench if you get too hot,” Barika said. Anna just looked at her. “Not you, my pretty little monster. You can stay all day if you’d like,” Barika said.  

Anna watched the others.  

“You’re staring again,” Lyreen said.  

“Sorry, just looking,” Anna said with a smile.  

“I know, but you don’t blink. It’s kind of creepy,” Lyreen said.  

“I don’t?” Anna asked.  

“No. It’s still sort of strange to be honest,” Elaine said.  

“Just the way I am,” Anna said with a shrug.  

“Just letting you know,” Lyreen said.  

“I think this is the best I’m going to get at being human,” Anna replied.  

“We just notice because we know you and are watching. I think you will be fine,” Barika said. The others nodded.  

“I’m just glad your hair is clean. I missed it down in the cave,” Lyreen said.  

“I thought it was weird,” Anna said.  

“No, I like it. It’s so pretty, when it isn’t full of blood or dead stuff,” Lyreen said with a laugh.  

“I really don’t notice being dirty. I should take baths more often,” Anna said.  

“Please do. You almost killed the doorman on the way in,” Elaine said.  

“He sniffed me. It’s his own fault,” Anna replied.  

“He did take his life into his own hands, err nose, doing that,” Barika said.  

The others cycled between the bench and the water. Anna remained there the whole time. A maid let them know that the clothes were clean and dry. It had been about an hour since they entered the bath.  

They dried off with towels, wrapping themselves in them. Lyreen and Elaine wrapped a second towel around their heads afterwards to help dry their hair. Anna hadn’t bothered to wrap the towel around herself to begin with and dried her hair by holding it close to her and heating up. That dried it quickly.  

“That would be handy,” Lyreen said, looking at her.  

“You could always shave like Barika,” Anna replied.  

Lyreen looked stricken. “No,” she said.  

“It does help with washing,” Barika said.  

“I had to shave everything to get the tattoos. It’s so itchy growing back,” Elaine said.  

“It can be...wait everything?” Barika asked.  

“Yep, now that was itchy,” Elaine replied.  

“What are you guys talking about?” Lyreen asked.  

“Humans have body hair, even the women. It’s just lighter and thinner,” Anna replied.  

“Oh, yeah, I guess itchy legs would be annoying,” Lyreen said.  

“Well, you’re certainly not Anna. I bet you didn’t even peek,” Elaine said.  

“At what?” Lyreen said. Elaine whispered in her ear. “Wait, you have hair there too? And you shaved?” Lyreen asked.  

“Yes, and yes,” Elaine replied.  

Lyreen moved to cover herself. “That sounds terrible. Wait, does that mean it’s tattooed as well?” Lyreen asked, looking even more shocked than before.  

“Yes, the clit is very sensitive,” Elaine said with a wicked smile.  

“Oh, so that’s what the nub is called,” Anna thought.  

“By the goddess, you are dedicated to your craft,” Barika said.  

“Ouch. Just, ouch,” Lyreen said, still covering herself.  

Elaine started to laugh just as evilly as her smile. “Gods you two are easy. It’s just the lips. No one is going near that with a sharp object,” Elaine said. Lyreen and Barika relaxed. Anna laughed.  

“What?” Elaine asked.  

“I was thinking about the kobolds,” Anna replied.  

“Yeah, no, I’m just glad it was you and not me,” Elaine said.  

“You should have seen the look on its face when the spear tip was missing,” Anna said with a smile.  

“You’re so weird sometimes,” Lyreen said.  

“I’m normal for me,” Anna replied.  

“I guess you’re right,” Lyreen said.  

Their clothes were waiting as promised. Her dress was clean, pressed, and smelled of flowers. She looked around for her pack and noticed it was missing.  

“They moved them to our rooms,” Elaine said, seeing her distress.  

“Oh, I was just worried about the crystals. I could find them quickly, but I don’t think you want me tearing this place apart,” Anna said.  

“I’d tell you to have fun if someone stole those, but I’m not worried about thieves in a place like this. Our packs are safely in our rooms, and no one so much as loosened a strap,” Elaine said.  

They got dressed and headed to the dining area.  

“I’m going to eat one of everything,” Anna said.  

“That’s what I was thinking,” Elaine replied.  

“It must be a sign. That’s what I was thinking as well,” Barika said. All four of them laughed.  

The men were sitting in a corner booth. It had a round table surrounded by a curving padded seat with a large back. They slid into the seat, Lyreen scooting dangerously close to Voekeer, who had been drinking and had a goofy smile on his face.  

“Any good?” Anna asked, pointing at Thokri’s mug.  

“Piss,” he replied.  

“Horse or dog?” Anna asked.  

“Horse,” he answered.  

“Fine then,” Anna said. He shrugged.  

Lyreen had taken Voekeer’s mug and was drinking already.  

“For the best lad. Too much more and you wouldn’t have been able to get it up,” Thokri said.  

“That can happen?” Lyreen asked.  

Anna wanted to know as well but had learned not to ask questions she may regret learning the answers to.  

“Aye lass, especially an elf. You lot can’t hold your ale,” Thokri said.  

“Elves are about the same as humans. It really depends on how much he had to drink,” Barika said.  

“I’m twenty. I’ll be fine,” Voekeer said.  

“That is true,” Elaine said. The waiter came to the table. “Anna, let me order for you? I think I know something you will love,” Elaine asked.  

“Sure,” Anna said. “Works for me. I don’t know what that guy was talking about,” Anna thought.  

“I’ll have the honey roast duck. She will have the same. Also, bring two bottles of sweet red wine,” Elaine said.  

“Of course, madam.” The others ordered as well. The only thing she recognized was the roast pork Thokri ordered.  

The food was brought out it. “It’s some kind of bird,” Anna thought, looking at it.  

“Like this,” Elaine said, showing Anna the proper way to cut and eat the bird.  

“Yum,” Anna thought, taking a bite. It was moist meat, firmer than chicken, and with just a bit more fat. The glaze was sweet with a hint of spice from the pepper. She took a sip of the wine. It was sweet but unlike anything she had ever drank, so there was nothing to compare it to, but she did like it.  

“Good choice,” Anna said, finishing the bird and one of the bottles of wine.  

“I knew you would like it. You always go for the sweet stuff,” Elaine said.  

“You know me so well,” Anna replied.  

“You’re not that hard to figure out. You eat sweet food, drink enough to kill a dwarf, kill something, get covered in blood, then strip naked and stare at everyone while you wash,” Elaine said. The others nodded.  

Once she heard how much the food cost, she didn’t want to eat any more. They were dipping into the emergency fund to pay for the rooms as it is. They all sat at the booth together, waiting for everyone to finish.  

“Can you buy houses in Oldforge?” Anna asked.  

“Yes. What would you be looking for? I thought you would just be a wanderer,” Voekeer replied.  

“I want my own bath,” Anna said.  

“You’d buy a whole house for your own bath?” Voekeer asked.  

“Yes, what else am I going to spend all the reward money on?” Anna replied.  

“Talk about freedom,” Elaine said.  

“I thought you’d just buy a bakery and eat cupcakes all day,” Lyreen said.  

“Wait, I can do that?” Anna asked.  

“No, the merchants guild would never let you do that,” Voekeer said.  

“Merchants guild, eh?” Anna asked.  

“Child, whatever you are thinking, please don’t,” Barika said.  

“Okay, fine. I’ll just get the house,” Anna replied.  

“That’s for the best,” Barika said.  

“You know what, Anna? You have purple eyes. No one has purple eyes, so why do you? It doesn’t make any sense,” Lyreen said, slurring.  

“She only had two mugs of this piss water. How is she sloshed?” Anna thought. She had switched to the ale when she found out how much the wine cost. While she couldn’t get drunk, she could taste the alcohol, and this drink barely had any.  

“Okay sweetness, you’ve had enough. Let’s get you to bed,” Voekeer said.  

“Oh, you called me sweet. Take me to bed, daddy,” Lyreen replied.  

Voekeer swept her up and carried her off. The party burst into laughter as soon as the couple was out of earshot, which is pretty far considering they were dealing with elves.  

“Take me to bed, daddy,” Elaine said in a high-pitched voice, sounding eerily close to Lyreen.  

“She must save a lot on ale,” Barika said.  

Anna grinned wickedly in the direction the elves had gone.  

“Child, what are you going to do?” Barika asked.  

“I’m going to summon a bunch of eyes and have them stare at them,” Anna replied.  

Thokri spit out his drink. “Do it lass. I bet we hear the scream from here,” Thokri said.  

“Don’t! Gods, I don’t want you to scare them off sex. The last thing we need it two grumpy horny elves the rest of the trip,” Elaine said.  

Thokri’s eyes went wide. “On second thought, leave them alone,” Thokri said.  

“Alright, but I still think it would have been fun,” Anna said.  

“Fun or not, it’s not worth the cost,” Thokri said.  

“You’d know better than me,” Anna said.  

“So, lass, what kind of house are you looking for?” Thokri asked.  

“I want a garden, and it needs to have glass windows. I also want a bath like the one here. It’s nicer than the one at ender’s house,” Anna said.  

“There should be a few like that for sale in the merchant’s district. You wouldn’t be able to buy a house in the noble’s district,” Barika said.  

“That’s right. There are noble’s only places,” Anna thought. “What makes a person a noble?” Anna asked.  

“Who their parents are. Sometimes a person can gain a title in battle,” Elaine said.  

Anna shrugged. “I’d rather just have a house where people don't look down their nose all the time,” Anna said.  

“Gods, you’re right about that,” Elaine said.  

“You may be able to buy a home in the temple district,” Barika said.  

“I thought only servants of the gods could own property there. At least, that’s how it was in the capital,” Elaine said.  

“It’s the same in Oldforge, but think who her father is. If the dreamer doesn’t rank amongst the gods, then what being does?” Barika said.  

Elaine leaned back. “You’re right about him, but can she just show up and claim that?” Elaine said.  

Barika rubbed her head. “I think you may be right. I’ve just grown so used to the idea. Anna, do you think the dreamer would talk to one of the divine beings?” Barika asked.  

Anna just shrugged. “Who knows? I doubt he’ll ever wake up again,” she replied.  

“I understand,” Barika said.  

“As long as the house has what I want, I don’t care where it is,” Anna said.  

“The guild hall and the dwarven hall are both in the merchants district,” Thokri said. “Be cheaper than the other districts as well,” he continued.  

“Sounds good to me,” Anna said.  

They finished dinner and headed to their respective rooms.  

“I guess I had nothing to worry about,” Anna thought. She inspected the lock. It sparkled with magic. She put the key in the lock and turned. The sparkling moved around, and she heard a click a moment later. “The lock moved with magic,” she thought.  

The room was well furnished with thick carpets on the same dark wood floor as downstairs. Her pack was sitting at the foot of the bed. The bed had four posts with thin cloth draped like a curtain around the sides. It was currently tied up. There was a dresser and writing table. There was also a trunk at the foot of the bed near the pack.  

“Oh, a mirror,” she thought. It was full length, a bit lower quality than the one at Ender’s manor. She took off her dress and laid it on the dresser, getting ready for bed. She looked at the mirror.  

“The last time I was this clean, there was a mirror too,” she thought. “I want a mirror in my house,” she decided.  

They spent the next two days at the stop. Anna used the bath every day. She even managed to get the mildew smell out of her bag. The men who repaired the coaches knew how to get the smell out of leather.  

“Barika was right about just asking nicely,” she thought. 

10