Chapter 35
143 10 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The tale took hours to tell, and by the time Thokri was finished, the dwarves had dragged a barrel of ale and an entire roast pig out to eat and drink.

Dwarves do love a good story.

Thokri had drank half a dozen mugs of ale and was getting a bit red in the face himself.

“Well lads, that’s all there is to tell so far,” he finished.

The dwarves all started to laugh and cheer.

“Lass, you should have brought the trolls parts back with ya. We could have mounted it on the wall,” a dwarf said, pointing his thumb at a wall filled with animal heads and skulls.

“I’ll remember that for next time,” Anna replied.

They roared with laughter. A dwarf put his arm around Lyreen’s shoulder.

“So, I hear you like holding big hairy balls?” he asked.

Lyreen turned bright red. “I hate you so much,” she said, looking at Thokri, who was laughing hysterically as usual.

 “Would you be willing to part with those crystals?” the older dwarf asked.

“Yeah. I only took them to show my friends,” Anna replied.

The old dwarf rubbed his beard for a moment. “I’ll craft you something myself, and I’ll give you one of the houses in the city for the lot of them,” he said.

“Deal,” Anna replied without hesitation.

He smiled. “I’ll send some lads with you to get them when you head out for the night,” he said.

“Did you just buy a house?” Lyreen asked. She was looking better now after a few mugs of water and a few hours to sober up.

“Lad, you have time to tell me about that vein?” the old dwarf asked.

“Aye,” Thokri replied. The two of them walked into another room.

 The rest of the party spent the next hour with the dwarves, drinking, eating, and telling them about their last adventure. The dwarves were excited to hear about the frontier and kept bringing more food and drink out. They seemed to take great delight in Anna’s ability to eat or drink anything regardless of how spicy or strong it was.

Poor Lyreen was drunk again, and by the time Thokri came back, she couldn’t stand up.

Voekeer carried her out of the dwarven tavern. She’d never call it a hall. They were accompanied to the guild hall by a large contingent of armed and armored dwarves.

It was late in the evening, but the streets were still full of people.  The crowd avoided the dwarves, however, so their trip back was uneventful.

When they walked back into the guild hall, she found it to be full of loud drunken adventurers who all stopped talking and stared at the dwarves that just walked in.

Anna zipped upstairs to get the crystals before anyone could ask what was going on. She got the crystals out of her pack and brought them downstairs. She handed the bag to the lead dwarf who grinned at her through his helmet, and they left without saying a word.

The other adventurers just gawked at them for a moment. Anna just smiled at them. They lost interest in the strange happenings and went back to drinking and arguing. She spotted Rufus and his crew. They were still watching her and her friends.

 They decided to head to their rooms early that night. The others were still feeling the effects of heavy food and strong drink.

She sat in her room by herself and had her new rings sitting in front of her. She picked up the ring that held a light spell and put it on. Holding her hand away from her, she pushed mana into it. Suddenly a light brighter than the sun filled the room, washing out even her vision for a moment. She cut off the mana, and the light flicked out.

Looks like I need practice. She tried again, this time with far less mana. It was still overly bright, but not enough to hurt anyone. She spent the rest of the night messing with the ring until she figured out how much mana to use.

I could keep a light going for a thousand years with how much mana I have.

She looked at her hands again and wished that she could cast spells like a normal person. She put the rings back and went to the main room to meet her friends for the day.

“Oh, there you are. Did you have fun with your rings?” Lyreen asked.

“Yeah. I’m surprised by how little mana they use,” Anna replied.

“You just have too much, that’s all,” Lyreen said. Anna shrugged and sat with her friends.

There was bread and cheese out for breakfast, so she dug in.

“What are we doing today?” Anna asked. “Lads will be by to show you your house,” Thokri said.

“That was fast,” Voekeer said.

“Aye, the old goat wants to get on her good side,” Thokri replied.

“Why?” Anna asked.

“Because he’s not stupid. Anna, you’re dangerous whether you know it or not,” Elaine replied.

 “Really?” Anna asked.

“Yes, child. That’s why we are trying to keep a lot of people from knowing what you really are,” Barika replied.

“But if I’m dangerous, why would anyone bother me?” Anna asked.

“Because people would try to take advantage of you,” Lyreen replied. Anna thought about it for a moment.

I guess I’m not that good with people yet. “I understand,” she said.

Lyreen put her hand on Anna’s. “It won’t be this way forever. You’ll learn how to deal with all kinds of people eventually,” Lyreen added.

Anna smiled at her. She was good at teasing people, but she really didn’t know that much else.

 Maybe I did spend to much time with Thokri. Although she didn’t regret it even if she did.

The dwarves showed up mid-morning, and they followed them deep into the market district.

They stopped at a small two-story house on a quiet street. There were no stalls here. It looked as if merchants didn’t want to disturb the people living here.

“Here you are, lass,” one of the dwarves said, handing her the keys to the house. She opened the front door and walked in followed by her friends.

The first floor was an open space with a huge fireplace that could be used to either cook or heat the place during the winter. It was already furnished with rough but sturdy furniture. She walked past a large table that took up the center of the room. There were ten chairs neatly pushed under it. She walked to the stairs and climbed them.

The upstairs was a single open space with a bed, a cabinet, a chest, and a large mirror. She walked over and smiled at her reflection.

I need a new dress. She looked herself over and was surprised by all the small tears and stains covering it.

Her friends followed her up the stairs and looked around.

“Guess you won’t be having any roommates,” Elaine said.

“Not unless you want to share a bed with me,” Anna replied. Elaine shook her head no vigorously.

“Nope, not going to happen. I’ve seen you naked enough!” she said. Anna laughed.

“Oh, alright,” she replied.

They went back downstairs.

“Well, it doesn’t have a bath, but it has everything else,” Anna said.

“There’s a public bath down street, lass,” one of the dwarves said.

“Why did the dwarves own this place anyway?” Voekeer asked.

“We buy and sell property in the city all the time, lad,” the dwarf replied.

They said goodbye to the dwarves, and Anna locked the house back up.

 “I guess I’m going to need food and stuff,” she said.

“Sounds like we need to head to the market again,” Lyreen replied with a smile.

They made their way back to the market center and found the part that was filled with food stalls. There was more food here than she’d ever seen in her life.

They browsed the stalls for a few minutes before they started to buy the things she’d need. Soon they were all carrying large amounts of food. They went back to her house to drop it all off.

She found the pantry and started to fill it, Barika had joined her.

“This is an awfully big place for one person. I wonder why there’s only one bed?” she asked.

“Maybe all of the children left after they grew up,” Anna replied.

“That’s rare but possible,” Barika said.

“I might rearrange things and put some beds and dividers up so everyone can stay,” Anna replied.

“That would be kind of you, but it’s your house. Just remember that,” Barika said.

Anna kept putting things away for a moment then paused. “Did I make the right decision?” Anna asked.

“Yes, child. It’s a fine house, and that dwarf will make you something extraordinary,” Barika replied.

“I wanted a garden,” Anna said.

Barika laughed. “Why don’t you put boxes on the windowsill? I’ve seen plenty of homes with little flower gardens in them.”

“Where could I get those?” Anna asked.

“Just ask your new dwarf friends. I’m sure they’d come build some for you,” Barika replied.

 “They really liked our story, didn’t they?” Anna asked.

“Dwarves do have a love of adventure,” Barika replied.

“I’m sure we’ll be popular with them from now on,” Anna said.

“I’ll have to make sure to heal the rest of the party nightly if we keep spending time with them. Our livers won’t last long if we keep drinking with dwarves,” Barika replied.

“I don’t think Lyreen can handle it,” Anna said.

“I’m more worried about Elaine. Elves heal much faster, and they rarely suffer from illnesses like humans do,” Barika replied.

“What about you?” Anna asked.

“I have the goddess’s blessing. I won’t be harmed by dwarven excesses,” Barika replied.

 “I could drink them all under a table and only have to pee a lot afterwards,” Anna said. Barika laughed.

“That’s true child,” Barika replied.

They finished packing the pantry and went back to the main room. Elaine had a fire going and had filled one of the large pots with water. Lyreen and Voekeer were chopping up vegetables, and Thokri had an enormous hunk of beef he was cutting into bite sized pieces. Her friends had told her they would make dinner that night, and it looked like they were making enough for twenty people. She sat at the table.

“Where’d you get the water?” Anna asked.

“There’s a hand pump out back. There’s also a wash basin for cloths and dishes,” Elaine said.

“You all want to go to the baths after we eat?” Anna asked.

“Aye,” Thokri replied while he deftly cut the meat.

The ingredients went into the pot and everyone, except for her, took turns stirring it. The soup was simple and only took a few hours simmering to finish cooking. It was amazing, and they all ate their fill. Elaine put the fire out and Lyreen cast a spell on the soup.

“Food preservation. It will keep for weeks now,” Lyreen said.

“I don’t think it’s going to last that long,” Elaine said.

“It will if we keep adding things to it,” Lyreen replied.

“That’s how we used to do it back home,” Voekeer said.

“Same with us,” Lyreen replied.

“Does it taste good doing it that way?” Anna asked. Both elves nodded vigorously. “Then that’s what we’ll do,” Anna said.

The others didn’t seem to mind. They were adventurers after all and willing to eat most things.

Once they finished eating, they cleaned up and set out for the baths. The one the dwarves had been talking about was a few minutes away. The bath wasn’t that much different from a tavern or inn from the outside. The inside was unlike anything she’d seen before.

There was a counter with a man sitting behind it. He glanced at them. “You can bath in the separate men’s or women’s bath, or there’s a general bath if you don’t want to split up,” he said.

“We’ll split up,” Elaine said.

“Ten coppers a piece. Doesn’t look like you have any, but slaves are two coppers, and they have to stay with you,” the man replied.

“We don’t keep slaves,” Lyreen said.

“I know that. I was talking to them,” the man replied pointing at Elaine, Barika and Anna.

“We don’t have any either,” Elaine said. The man nodded and they paid him.

They split up and went into the separate baths. It was the same as the carriage stop, and they all opted to have their clothes washed while they bathed.

After washing off, they soaked in the steaming water. This time they weren’t alone, and Anna looked at the other women in the bath. The women looked like the ones on the frontier, which was no surprise to her. There were girls in their early teens to old women that could be over a hundred.

 “Where are the other races?” Anna asked.

“Most races keep to themselves,” Barika replied.

Anna nodded. She was disappointed. She’d wanted to see what women from other races looked like naked.

I’ll just have to find where they bath at. She’d also have to find a way to bath with men. Though that didn’t seem like it would be too difficult. Men seemed to want to look at her naked.

They finished bathing and left the baths, heading back to the guild hall. Once there, she went to her room and got her pack. She gave Bruno back the key.

“Find a place, or did you just hook up with someone?” he asked.

 “I bought a house,” Anna replied.

“Good for you. Tell me the address, and I’ll make sure to add it to the list,” he said. She told him the address and went back to her friends.

“When do you think the guild master will be back?” Elaine asked.

“Who knows. If she left with the fangs, she might be going on a contract after her meeting,” Voekeer replied.

“We’ll get our rewards, child. No need to worry,” Barika said.

“I wasn’t worried,” Elaine replied.

They left the guild hall again. They had only come back to get Anna’s things. Their next destination was the temple district. After a stop at her house again, to drop off her pack, they set off.

 “I’m sorry you won’t be able to enter the temple,” Barika said.

“I’m used to it,” Elaine replied.

“I’ll wait with you,” Anna said.

“So will I, lass,” Thokri replied.

“We’re going to the temple of our goddess,” Lyreen said.

Barika looked disappointed that none of her friends would be joining her but didn’t say anything.

As they entered the temple district, Anna felt as if she had stepped into another city entirely. Instead of crowded streets and people trying to sell her things, she found a solemn place with silent priests and priestesses walking around. The normal citizens that were here were subdued as well.

When they got to the temples, Anna noticed that there was a fog of power, like the blessing Barika used to heal others, rolling out from each one.

 I wonder if they know? She’d have to ask her friends if they felt anything different while they were here.

The temples themselves were oddly different from each other. Some were huge white stone buildings that had roofs held up by huge pillars. Others were elaborate stone buildings that had colored glass windows covering them, and finally, there were open field-like places that seemed to be nothing more than a grove of trees. Her elven friends entered one of the groves with smiles on their faces.

“That’s a lot of elves,” Anna said.

“Most elves are quite devout people,” Barika replied.

“I’ve never heard them talk about their goddess,” Anna said.

“Elves are private people. You know that,” Elaine replied.

 “Yeah, I guess so,” Anna said. Elaine ruffled her hair.

“Not all of us can be shameless monsters,” Elaine said, putting her arm around Anna.

“I’ll show you monster,” Anna said and started to tickle Elaine.

Poor Elaine was severely ticklish and was squirming to get away. She was laughing so hard she nearly fell over, begging Anna to stop. A large man in gleaming plate walked over with a kind smile on his face.

“While we all appreciate such joy and comradery, I’ll have to ask you to release her. You're causing a scene,” he said.

Anna let Elaine go. The woman doubled over and took a few ragged breaths before standing up and slapping her on the back of the head.

 “Hey!” Anna said.

“Oh, quit. We all know you're fine,” Elaine replied.

The man took a step towards Anna and looked down into her eyes for a moment. “Tell me, do you know who your parents are?” he asked.

“Yes, and that’s a little rude to ask someone you just met, isn’t it?” Anna replied.

The man nodded. “I apologize for any offence I may have caused,” he said.

“I’m not offended, but why did you ask?” Anna asked.

“Allow me to explain myself. I’m a paladin with the Order of the Armored Fist, and we are searching for the chosen one. While it's supposed to be a young man, you have a strange presence, and the prophecies aren’t always perfectly accurate,” the man replied.

 “I can assure you that she’s not the chosen one, brother,” Barika said.

The man turned to Barika and raised an eyebrow. “What do you know sister?” he asked.

Barika looked around for a moment. “She’s the creation of a powerful being from another realm, but it’s no god,” Barika replied.

“Why does he need to know that?” Anna asked. They turned to her.

“I’m sorry, child, but it’s important that the order doesn’t think you’re the chosen one and, we’re hiding you,” Barika said.

The man looked between the two of them. “Come with me,” he said.

“Why?” Anna asked.

“Nothing bad. I just need to know what you are so I can send a report to the order. That way other paladins will leave you alone,” he replied.

 Anna sighed. I hope they don’t treat me like those farmers did.

Elaine told some of the elves where they’d be in case Lyreen and Voekeer came looking for them.

After that, they followed the paladin to the temple of light. He was a paladin for the god of light. Elaine hesitated when they reached the steps.

“You may enter so long as you’ve never taken the life of an innocent. The lord of light does not care what your profession may be. Only actions have meaning to him,” the paladin said.

Elaine strode right into the temple after he said that. “I’d never hurt an innocent,” she replied.

The paladin smiled at her. They walked past a massive altar that was filled with offerings.

 A huge stone statue of the god stood on a pedestal behind the altar.

“He’s a big one,” Anna said. Thokri chuckled, and Barika just shook her head.

The paladin led them to a small room with a simple table in it. They sat at the table, and he poured them all a cup of water from a clay pitcher that sat on the table. The cups were clay as well.

Kind of plain. She had expected the temple to have fancy golden cups like the lord’s house.

“Now, tell me about yourself,” the paladin said.

She took a drink of the cool clean water. “Well, I was created a year ago near a town named Fishport,” she said starting her story.

 “By the throne of light!” he said after she finished. He’d been skeptical until she summoned an eye and a few tentacles.

I think eating his dagger was what convinced him. “So, uh, are you convinced I’m not the chosen one?” Anna asked.

“You couldn’t possibly be. Honestly, I’m not sure what to make of you,” he replied.

“She’s just another adventurer. That’s all anyone needs to know, lad,” Thokri said.

“But if she fought the dark one, she’d win without issue,” the paladin replied.

“Maybe so, but she’s naïve. What if he tricked her into joining him?” Barika asked.

The paladin blanched. “Gods, we’d all die,” he replied.

“That’s why you need to leave out her powers from your report, brother. Give her a few decades to learn before you ask her to battle true monsters,” Barika said.

 “I will do as you ask,” he replied.

“Good lad,” Thokri said. They stood up to leave.

“Before you go, I have a favor to ask of you all,” the paladin said.

“What is it?” Anna asked.

“If you run into the chosen one, send him our way,” he said.

“Of course, brother,” Barika replied.

He led them out of the temple, and they headed to the temple of the goddess.

“I really hope we don’t have to tell anyone else my story,” Anna said.

“We shouldn’t child,” Barika replied.

The temple to the goddess was one of the huge stone ones with pillars. Barika went in and they found a nice bench under a huge tree.

“Is there a temple to the stone one here?” Anna asked.

“No lass, he doesn’t need temples,” Thokri replied. Anna looked at the temple Barika had gone into.

“Do you worship any gods?” Anna asked, looking at Elaine.

“Not anymore,” she replied.

“What do you think of the gods?” Elaine asked. Anna just shrugged.

“They really don’t matter to me,” Anna replied.

“That’s how I feel about them,” Elaine said.

Lyreen and Voekeer found them. “Heard you talked to the human paladins,” Voekeer said.

“Yeah. They wanted to make sure I wasn’t the chosen one,” Anna replied.

“Oh, great, that means they are looking for one,” Lyreen said.

“He mentioned something about a dark one,” Anna replied.

“Well, there’s going to be a lot of work soon if one of those showed up,” Lyreen said.

“What do you mean?” Anna asked.

“Gramma told me that every time the humans fight whatever they call the dark one, wars start all over the place,” Lyreen replied.

“I’m surprised he didn’t ask you to kill it,” Voekeer said.

“He did, but Barika thinks it would trick me into helping it,” Anna replied. The elves shuddered at the thought.

“Maybe we should go visit the dwarves in their mountain until this is over,” Lyreen said.

“Never thought I’d hear you say that, lass,” Thokri replied.

“Normally I wouldn’t, but the elders told me the dwarven mountains have never fallen,” Lyreen said.

“They have lass, just not to anything from the surface,” Thokri replied. Everyone looked at the dwarf, but he didn’t elaborate.

“I’m sure it will be fine. We are in the ass end of nowhere right now,” Elaine said.

“I thought Fishport was the ass end of nowhere?” Anna asked.

“Fishport is in bumfuck nowhere,” Thokri replied.

“Thanks for clearing that up,” Anna said.

“Anytime lass,” Thokri replied.

Barika came back some time later. “Well, the prophecy was just about the chosen one, so that explains why the guild master left,” Barika said.

“That paladin was kind of cute,” Elaine said as they walked out of the temple district.

“He was quite fetching, wasn’t he,” Barika replied.

“Think I have a shot?” Elaine asked.

“Not a chance. He prefers men,” Barika replied.

“How do you know that?” Elaine asked.

“All the members of that order do. It’s one of the requirements,” Barika replied.

“Dam,” Elaine said.

“Why would they care?” Anna asked.

“The god of light prefers men as well,” Barika replied.

“Wait, gods have sex?” Anna asked.

“As far as I know, yes,” Barika replied.

“I want to have sex with a god now,” Anna said.

“But I thought you weren’t interested in sex,” Lyreen replied.

“I’m not,” Anna said.

“They why would you?” Lyreen asked.

“Because I could tell everyone I fucked a god,” Anna replied. Thokri burst into laughter.

“Aye, that would make a fine tale,” he said.

“See, he gets it,” Anna said.

“Way too much time with the dwarf!” her other friends chimed at once.

Anna just giggled.

 

9