Chapter 1- Awake
433 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I awoke with my back propped up against a wall. My head throbbed. Why does it hurt so bad? I opened my eyes.

BRIGHT!

Oh, my head hurts worse now!

I shut my eyes again, tight, with my hand clasped over my eyes. The light coming in from windows was blinding and did not help my headache any. Removing my hand from my face, I tried again slowly.

Ok, good. A little more. Slowly.

I wasn’t quite there yet, but I could already see a blur of a person on the other side of the room. Maybe it was a trick of my eye because I was still partially blind, but I could swear I was looking at both a male and a female silhouette.

Maybe if I said hello?

“Um, hell…” That was funny we must have had the same idea because we both spoke at the same time. This made laugh awkwardly. “Uh?” Wait, my voice. Was it high or low?

When I laughed, I could hear both high and low. Both sounds could be heard in my ears at the same time. Both from my throat and the air. So, which was it? High or low?

As I continued looking at the person on the other side of the room. My vision became sharper as they adjusted to the light.

Wait? It was a trick of the light, wasn’t it?

The person on the other side of the room was a young woman no doubt, but it was also true that the same person was a man of the same age.

How is that possible?

He was dressed in all black, black tee, black sweatpants and barefoot. She was, wearing a top that although not sleeveless did leave her shoulders exposed except for a pair of straps, also sweatpants and barefoot. One had long braided hair, the other short.

My eyes didn’t need protection from my hand anymore. We both let down our arms at the same time.

Weird.

We both looked at each other with the same curiosity.

Strange.

I moved my head to one side the other did the same.

Odd.

Something had to give. “What is your name?” We said at the same time.

Spooky.

We both let out an amused chuckle.

Then something disturbing accrued to me. I didn’t know my name.

Well, maybe the other person did? No. They wouldn’t ask otherwise. What if it was a test? I didn’t feel like putting off my answer any longer.

“I don’t know.” We both said.

Wait, how could we both not know our name? “You seriously don’t know?” We asked each other at the same time. Again. This synchronicity was getting old.

I thunked the back of my head back against the wall, the other did the same. “Ug, what is going on!?”

We looked at each other again. Accusation in our eyes.

“Why do we keep copying me?” Copied again.

“Stop that!” And again.

“Look you…” I said pointing my finger. The other did the same. I didn’t finish my sentence. Instead, I wiggled my index finger back and forth. Bent it up and down. Opened my hand closed it again. We were moving in perfect sync as if one of us could read the other’s mind.

Still, in sync with each other, we crawled to each other. Looking one another straight in the eyes. I lifted my hand the other did the same. We touched fingertips.

I can feel that. I could feel her hand, but also his. We tilted our heads at each other. I was completely and thoroughly confused.

Is this me? Or not?

I began making funny faces at the other. Each face was copied perfectly.

Screaming at the other. “AAHHHAHAHA.”

Random words and phrases.

Anything I could think of. The more random and nonsensical the better. I was trying to trip the other up. To make the other drop the act. There was no way I was Him, but I couldn’t be Her either. Something told me that it wasn’t possible. People only had one body. Not two.

But it the end I was both. Regardless of if it made sense or not. “What is my name?” It was the same question I asked earlier, but now different. I knew something about myself that I didn’t know then.

At first, I thought it might be us who didn’t know our name, but I knew better now. It was me who didn’t know, and only me.

Even now, I ask myself that question again. Still, no name came to mind.

“Who am I?” Better question. “What am I?”

What is the last thing I remember?

Nothing.

The first thing?

Nope.

Favorite food?

Not a clue.

Come on, brain think! No brains, I had two, after all, double the thinking power! I clutched both sets of my hands to my heads. “THINK DAMN IT!”

Empty.

“AAAAA.” I swung my heads in frustration. 'WACK!' I unintentionally hit my heads together. Both bodies flew back from the other. Leaving my selves sprawled out on the floor.

Rubbing my heads, were the connected, I thought about my problem. I had to come to terms with a hard truth. I had no memory.

But I still knew that this was wrong. I couldn’t have two bodies like this. It wasn’t possible.

How did I know that anyway? Didn’t gut feelings like this usually come from experience? Then why was I so sure? With no memory of my own. For all I knew, to have two bodies was perfectly normal. 

No way. Couldn't be, something told me that this was wrong, but at the same time, my lack of memory caused me to doubt that feeling. What a headache.

Both sets of my eyes wandered the little room I found myself in when I woke up.

It was old, dirty, possibly abandoned, the walls had small holes in them, and it was only one small room. A drab and sad shack out in god knows were. m. The two windows, that flanked a door that looked like it might be rotting, were broken in multiple places.

There was a dirty bed big enough for only one. Lying in the back corner of the shack. On the opposite corner a small kitchen, with a wood-burning stove, a hand pump sink faucet, and a black box sitting on the counter. No table or chairs for dining at sadly.

I tried standing. 

Steady, good, Female me stepped on a loose board causing that body to wobble, but I caught my balance it time, keep going, and I'm up, both of me. So far so good.

Now what?

Grrooowwlll

A sound came from both of my stomachs. So food apparently. 

I decided to check the kitchen area. Walking over with both bodies I hit a snag. My sense of balance was way off. My male half felt top-heavy whereas my female body felt the anchor of a ship. One was up the other down, two completely different centers of gravity. Both my bodies wobbled and practically flopped over to the other side of the room. I managed to catch myself on the counter with my male form, my female self was not so lucky. Somehow I managed to spin around, my back slapping against the cabinet door, then fell right on my ass.

"Oh, ow," I said. I lower a hand down to my fallen form and helped myself back up. An action that also proved to be easier said than done. When reaching up to my feminine hand I found that the other wasn't there. I had moved it upward match the movement of the other. It was frustrating to need to concentrate so hard on just moving two arms in opposite directions, so they could meet in the middle. 

I did get it after five tries, so annoying.  

Examining the kitchen I didn't see anything special sitting on its surface. Except for the black box. Examining the box more closely I noticed that it was possible to open it using a door. My female body was closer. I used it to open the box. It opened wide from the side, it was cold inside. Cold air mixed with warm air to create a frosty mist. 

Looking inside. There was food here! It looked like a week's worth of meat and vegetables. Maybe half seeing how I was feeding two bodies.

Using my male body I searched some of the cabinets below the counter. There was plenty of cookware. Why was such a beat-up shack so well equipped? 

Grrooowwlll

My stomach again.

All right what first. Starting a fire? Both pairs of my eyes looked over at the wood-burning stove. I gulped. My coordination was terrible. Every movement command I gave to one body was also received by the other. Both bodies wanted to move at once. It took considerable concentration just to do any task separately. Not to mention how disorienting it was to see two different images at once with two separate pairs of eyes.

How was I going to safely cook anything like this? Forget the fire! This meat needed cut and I didn't want to lose a hand!

I came up with something. With my male body already at the stove, I stood my female form very still. Arms limp at its sides. This way I could only focus on one body. I opened the stove door seeing the wood that was already placed inside. So far so good. Except I was finding it equally difficult to purposely keep one body still while the other moved. It was easier however so my idea wasn't so bad.

Just keep going. 

I found a fire starter in the cabinets while looking for cooking pans. After striking it a few times, the fire lite.

Now was my female body's turn, I needed to cut the meat in two. I'm not going to lie, the stiff feeling in my arm as I lifted the knife, that I took from a drawer, was the most terrifying feeling. This stiff feeling was due to my lack of coordination. Both setts of lungs took a deep breath, and I began to cut down the middle.

Slow, steady, easy...

Done, my small feminine hand and all its digits were intact. Both pieces of meat went into a pan that had been warming on the stove. I had my female body flip the meat when necessary, and my male half keeping to fire going, using wood that also happened to be conveniently placed here.

Convenient. With the exception of my memory loss, everything was very convenient. I

'm hungry. There is food, preserved in a cold box.

I need to cook it somehow. There is a wood-burning stove complete with wood both inside and stacked against the wall beside it. Not to mention the cooking equipment, also provided. 

But where did it all come from? Did someone live here? Was that someone me? If not then where is that other someone?

The food was done. I sat in silence. One body sat beside the other. Eating perfectly in sync. Cut meat, stab meat, bring meat to mouth, chew, swallow, repeat. 

The knives weren't so intimidating once I didn't have to worry about performing multiple tasks at once.

With nothing left to do. My brains went into overdrive. Who am I? What am I? These questions were not new to me, but for awhile at least I was distracted from them.

In this time I was able to get a better look at my faces. Light cream skin, light brown hair, a strong jawline, and chin, a round nose, and cool blue eyes. Both my faces looked the same, except as a woman my features were softer than my manly self. 

I was also noticing that my bodies were also very toned as if I were some kind of strange double-bodied athlete.

And on the thought of my posable strangeness, my thoughts went down a whole new path of depressed worry. And my thoughts, although remained the same deepened.

Who am I? What am I?

One question I could answer was this. My lack of coordination would be the death of me. I needed to get better at multitasking. I started with basic exercises.

First squats. I would go up and down alternating between my two halves. Starting with the male half. 

Male: Down, Up, down. up, down. up, up, down, up, down, up, down...Wait...

Female: Up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down... Wait...

How did I get synced back up? When did that happen? This was going to be harder than I thought.

8