Chapter 6- The Fox and the Shadow
313 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Snap! 

The sound of the rapist's neck breaking, after the drop, was not a pleasant one. I stood under a porch roof leaning on a supporting poll, watching the scene play out.

Having experience in this area so I had no sympathy for the man. Although a virginity check is somewhat minor compared to what he likely did that poor bride to be. Part of me felt lucky that was all that happened back then. 

The crowd of people standing around the gallows cheering, celebrating his death. Two people stood away from the crowd like I was. A man comforting a woman who was crying and screaming unspeakable things at the now-dead rapist. Swears, insults, and one death threat. I assumed this was the bride and groom. For them, this day should have been a happy one. 

Not that I would know. I didn't even know what a wedding was until I asked Mable.

Frankly, I didn't even care about this display. I was just waiting on Ronnie, who was today's acting hangman. He had promised to treat me to breakfast but was taking forever to wrap things up. You dropped the guy now get over here already! 

I was feeling a bit impatient. I hadn't eaten anything since leaving the shack. If it wasn't for the fact that I was so dead tired last night I likely would have demanded food. Now I was well rested healed of all injury, thanks to Mable, and my bodies had reprioritized. Food was needed and ASAP!

I didn't help that my female body was eating already, which made the feeling of hunger on the male side that much worse. I tried my best to ignore this and hide my impatience for Ronnie, after all, I was in the presence of royalty. The King and Queen had decided to forgo their usual family breakfast with their six children to spend time with a stranger. Eating a humble meal, of bacon, eggs, toast, and milk for a beverage. 

Two new chairs had to be brought in before the breakfast started one to replace the one I broke, and another for the King to sit. I sat in the replacement chair, trying to figure out what to say to these people. I was learning that having no past, made it hard to socialize. Lucky for me the King and Queen were experts on this matter and did most of the talking for me.

"I have to say that outfit looks rather good on you." The Queen remarked on my clothes provided to me by the maid last night. I was wearing a light pink sleeveless dress, its hem covering just my knees, its neckline coming just low enough to tease every boy who dared to look my way. It was all completed with white stockings slip-on shoes that matched the dress in color and setting my straight brown hair down my back was a white hairband that had a fake red rose on the left side of my head.

The headband was the maid's idea. She insisted on it after helping me brush my EXTREMELY knotted hair.

The Queen's compliment was nice and all, but her outfit made her look like some kind of evil empress. Except for the blood-red lacing going down the front, she was in an all-black ankle-length V-neck stiletto dress, the dress formed perfectly her curves, even the elbow-length sleeves were form fit. Her dark brown and sunken eyes and jet black hair, contrasted against her snow-white skin perfectly. Her red lips and long red fingernails didn't do much to dispel the villainess vibe.

Despite her sinister fashion sense, she was a perfectly friendly and outgoing person.

"Indeed, but I think it might be best if she picked out some of her own clothes from the market." The King looked like an older bearded version of his oldest son. You know the one I hit over the head last night. His attire was a little more on the simple side rather than fashionable. Brown trousers and a white long-sleeved button-down shirt. 

Neither Royal was wearing a crown. They had set them on the vanity before the meal had begun. Apparently, it was a custom in this country to remove any symbols of power before dining with a guest. That didn't just go for, things on your person either. Before the meal began the maids removed two items that I gave little thought to before they were gone. A small flag with the royal family's coat of arms, and a portrait of the royal family. Apparently, they saw their own faces as power symbols. This portrait is also how I knew the two eating with me had six children. 

"You think so, dear?" The Queen asked in response to her husband's comment.

"Don't get me wrong here, I don't mind her have her pick, from the many items available here at the Palace, but a day on the town might be good for her. You know, memory loss, and all that."

"Ahh, yes good thinking dear. If she sees something familiar than she might remember something."

The King nodded proudly. "Indeed."

"You know it has been such a long time since I was out at the market, just for a fun time." 

"You could have a ladies day out!" 

"Marvelous idea love!" She then asked me. "What do you think Darling?" 

I didn't know what to think. " Sure. I guess." 

"Wonderful Darling, I'll make all the arrangements after breakfast."

Meanwhile...

Gruggle

My male body's stomach was about at its limit, and Ronnie was no longer at the gallows. Where is he and what's taking so long?!

"Here, you go." I jumped back as I suddenly had a green fruit shoved in my face. It was Mayble. "Sorry didn't mean to scare you."

My female body jumped as well making my choke on some eggs. I washed them down with some milk. 

"Are you ok darling?" The King and Queen looked worried.

"I'm fine," I said catching my breath.

"Well, this likely her first decent meal in a while. I can blame you, but please slow down." The King instructed, appearing equally worried has his wife.

At the same time. I was assuring Mayble that everything was fine. "No, it's fine," I said taking the fruit. "Where is Ronnie?" I couldn't help myself, and I was too hungry to care, I had taken a bit of the fruit before asking so it sounded more like. "Whef if Oonnee?"

Mable took this all in good humor. Smiling at me as if she knew I hadn't eaten in days. "Oh, he'll be with you in a minute. He just had some red tape to cut through."

"Red tape?"

"Never you mind. He'll explain if he wants to. I'm just here to tell you to stay put and be patient is all." With that, she left. "Have a lovely day, kiddo."

Looks like I have to wait some more, but at least my hunger has been calmed.

I took another eager bite. Feeling a strange sensation I looked around to find to cause. A woman in a red robe that touched the ground was on the other side of the road. Staring at me. I blinked, she was gone. I shrugged it off, I was new in town. People are going to be curious.

Meanwhile sometime later...

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing right now?" I asked the maid, as she insisted that I wear something else.

"That was for, your meal with the King and Queen. What you need now is proper going out on the town clothes." Breakfast had ended just a minute ago and the Royals had dismissed themselves from my room.

"Hu? Clothes are just clothes. Who cares?"

The maid sighed. "If it helps the outfit I'm referring to, is the set we took from you last night." 

"Oh!?"

"Yes, Ms. They have been cleaned and pressed, and are waiting in the closet."

"The closet? When did you do that?"

The maid looked confused as to why this mattered. "Earlier today Ms." Was her only reply "I shall let you know when the Queen is ready for you." She turned and left.

Earlier today? I've been in here this whole time. I've never seen her or any other maid in here beyond the ones that set up our breakfast. Sneaky maid, first she takes my clothes without my knowing then she does the same thing again, but in reverse. Do I have to keep an I on her?

Well, whatever time to get re-dressed.

My clothes were there all right. complete with a set of black shoes and white socks. Putting it all on it felt like, like... I'm not sure what to compare it to, but it was a warm fuzzy feeling. Was I weird for feeling this way about cloth? It was all I had. The only thing I could call mine. So no not weird at all, not for me anyway.


Identical Twin sisters Alexis and Christine had arrived at the royal palace. Ready to start their daily duties as royal knights. Alexis had a day full of exercises planned out for her unite of elite scouts. Christine the same for her elite snipers. However, someone had other plans.

"Oh, girls!" The Queen approached the twins with a bright smile. 

"Good morning your Majesty." Both said together, with a polite bow.

"I hope you two don't have a busy schedule today." The Queen's smile changed ever so slightly. A smile that brought ruin and despair to all who saw it.

The Queen had a reputation. They called her the Fox Queen, at home she would skulk around nosing into other people business, playing subtle pranks and jokes on them, sometimes destroying the daily routines of others in favor of her own whim. When present at the Alliance Senate, representing their nation, she was known to debate people until they were thoroughly humiliated for the crime of being wrong. She even could boast to being the cause of a fellow Senator's resignation. Every eight years the elections would come around and the people would vote for their Queen thus proving the effectiveness of her methods. 

"Well, your Highness as a matter of fact..." Alexis began. 

"No? Good!" The Queen said before Alexis could finish. "How do you two feel about being my personal escorts on a shopping trip?"

"Now hold on..." Christine tried to say.

"Oh, I'm sure you'd love to. I'll be seeing you two in front of the palace, be ready!" The Queen hurried away before the Twins could object further.

Alexis feeling ruined. "There go my plans."

Christine feeling Despair. "And mine."

The twins could not see the Queen's satisfied smile. She loved making people squirm, but as much as she enjoyed it she never did so without reason. The poor girl that was brought to the palace was lost and alone in the world. The Queen's heart went out to her. As far as the Queen was considered the best way to solve this problem was to bring the girl into the world around her, show her new things and places, and better yet make friends her own age. The twins qualified potential friend candidates. 

Her own children might qualify too, but her eldest son would be the hardest for her to get along with, a head injury from last night proved that not that he didn't deserve it. Best to keep them separate for now.

She looked back at the twins their hopes for a normal day dashed. She knew this inconvenienced them, so she did feel bad about it. Not bad enough to not take pleasure from their sullen faces, but still bad enough to think of ways to make it up to them.

But how? What did young women like and do for fun these days? The fact that she didn't know was somewhat depressing for the Queen, who tried her best never to think about her age. 

When did I get old? She thought.

She shook her head and refocused her thoughts. Shopping, girls only, fun! Yes, she was looking forward to this.


The morning was late and Robbie had finally made an appearance. "Hey man sorry for making you wait for so long. All that red tape is killer."

"Mable mentioned red tape. What's that?" 

"Oh, just a bunch of paperwork you got to fill out. It's nothing you need to worry about. Just part of my job."

I guess that's good enough, I was just mildly curious anyway. "Where are we eating?"

"It's not far, follow me." He looked me up and down as we walked. "How's that all fitting you. Good?"

He was referring to the cloths he let me borrow. Mine were all torn up from my great river adventure, it made me sad, but I couldn't do anything about it. Currently, I had on a tan tunic, trousers, and sandals. "Yeah, not bad."

"Good."

Now that it was light I could see a lot more of the town. The town around me was set in the middle of a grassy plain, A mountain could be seen in the distance. Two roads crossed together, shops and restaurants lined up along them. The appearance of the town as a whole was well taken care of if not a little beaten down kind of charming really. Off the road and behind the shops and restaurants was a different story, houses packed together like a slum. Tents and shacks not dissimilar to what I woke up in just days ago. The slum and windowless stone monstrosity that was the prison ruined the town's charm.

"Ms. the Queen is ready. If you would follow me I'll take you to her." The maid guided me outside. A carriage was waiting. There were no horses hooked to the front, but just behind the driver was a metal tank. All kinds of pipes and vents came out of it and went under the carriage to the wheels, a vent on the top of the tank blew steam out the top. It reminded me a little of what the top hat gold tooth guy had. "Right this way Ms." The maid said after I had paused in my tracks to examine the vehicle. 

"Yes, sorry."

"It's alright. I assume this is your first time seeing a steam powered carriage?"

"No, the slavers had one." 

Realizing that she just brought up a horrible memory the maid stopped, turned and bowed her head. "I am so sorry Ms. I didn't mean to remind you of that unpleasant place."

True it was unpleasant, and the virginity check likely scarred me for life but... "It's fine, no harm done."

Her head remained bowed "Are you sure Ms."

"Yes. I'm sure"

She raised her head a look of relief poorly hidden behind her eyes and gentle smile. "May we continue then Ms." And to think I once suspected this girl of theft. I'm an idiot.

"We may." I followed her the rest of the way to the carriage. When we got their she opened the door for me. The Queen and two others awaited inside. The twins? What are they doing here? 

Seeing my surprise to their presence the Queen explained. "I asked them to serve as escorts." She smiled at them, with a gleam in her eye that I could not place. The twins looked almost repulsed by her gaze like they didn't want to be here. The Queen then turned her attention back to me. "Please have a seat." She motioned to the spot next to her.

I did as suggested. The maid shut the door behind me.

I looked at the twins across from me. "Hi," I said awkwardly raising my hand in greeting. The carriage began to move.

"Good morning." Said Alexis looking me in the eye.

"Yeah, hey, What's up?" Said Christine giving me only a sideways glance.

"What's up? Ummm."


Christine turned her head and raised an eyebrow as she watched their guess lookup. Seemingly examining the roof of the carriage. Then burst out laughing. 

Alexis saw this too and brought a hand to her mouth suppressing a giggle. 

The Queen was the only one to correct the confused amnesiac. "No darling, she didn't mean that literally." She said putting a hand on the young woman's shoulder. Doing her best to suppress her own grin.

"Hu?"

"It's just silly and improper way of saying hello."

"Oh." The young woman said. suddenly looking bashful. 

"Oh, wow I think we're going to need to keep a close eye on this one." Said Christine.

"Agreed." Agreed her sister. If they didn't there was a strong possibility that she would wander down a dark alley only to reemerge with a cart full of snake oil.


"What's wrong?" Ronnie asked me when I suddenly stopped eating. "You look really annoyed all of a sudden."

"Oh, nothing just thinking." About all the posable hiding places my female body could run to and never come out.

"Oh, you mean the whole in a strange place with no memory thing you got going on. Yeah, I'd be annoyed by that too."

"Yeah, it is very annoying." Being made a fool of is very annoying, even worse when your own ignorance is to blame. 

The owner of the restaurant served us the food we had ordered. "Please enjoy." 

"Sure will Pete." Replied Ronnie. 

"Thank you," I said.

I was about to shove a sausage in my mouth when I felt that feeling again. Like something was burning a hole in my head. I looked behind me. The woman in red robes again, she was looking my way. She turned away as soon as she saw that I was looking. 

"Hey!" Ronnie suddenly said slapping the table. Making me jump. Lucky for me the carriage ride was on a road with some loose brick that made the carriage bounce, and no one noticed when my female half did the same. "You know, I have the rest of the day off. Let's go over to my place when we're done here. I have some beer and I'll answer any questions you have."

It didn't sound like a bad idea. "Ok." But did he have to scare me like that?

8