Chapter 38: An End for each Pawn
351 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 38: An End for each Pawn


A blade appeared like a guillotine that severed the part of Vane's leg that got inside Vlad's inner range, the bits that penetrated the shield.

"Tsk, tsk, not cunning enough, boy. Hahaha, poor child. You showed quite the talent. A fearless mind, violent and most vicious, ready to sacrifice your own pawns, just a war leader. If we were in another era, I would love to have you as one of my generals."

"Hah, if only I had stumbled on people like you back then."

Vlad's mocking voice turned into a melancholic one, before shifting back to his cold indifference, with his shield morphing back into his curved sword.

*Step*

*Step*

He started approaching the downed man who was gritting his teeth in agony of having a part of his leg amputated, making the whole situation sinister for Vane who never experienced fighting a person like Vlad in his entire life as a pirate.

Struggling to get on his feet, he didn't have anything to support himself and lost his balance, dropping on the floor, and something he did impressed Vlad immensely when he stabbed his Kilij to end his suffering.

*Parry*

From the ground, Charles picked a sword belonging to a dead man, and blocked with all his might the deadly strike.

"I GOT YOUR BACK CHARLES!"

"No you don't. Piss off, damned rat."

*Fleshcut*

*Caput*

A swift strike from Vlad, decapitated the head of the Marine Commander, leaving out only Charles and this devilish guy, who smiled with a wicked expression back, unimpressed by Broadhand's effort.

"Boy, I like your spirit."

"Go fuck yourself, you bastard! You want to kill me? I will take you with me even without my leg!"

"Well said, that's the spirit. You know Vane-boy, in those old books I've read, there is a saying that someone who shows a fearless, brave spirit, willing to sacrifice anything to achieve his goals, is bound to have a stellar future."

"If I let you live in those moments, you might pass this hardship and improve yourself, showing a great future ahead of you."

Charles Vane looked up at Vlad with murderous eyes, grasping his sword tightly that his hands began bleeding, not buying into Vlad's words at all.

"Because of a stupid mistake. I don't feel like letting you grow."

"FUCK YOURSELF YOU HYPOCRITICAL BASTARD! KILL ME IF YOU CAN!"

Vlad shook his head, and from nowhere, he attacked with his Kilij, getting blocked continuously, a point where the pirates saw their leader being downed, struggling to survive Vlad's onslaught, and abandoning the marines fighting Erek they jumped to rescue him.

"CAPTAIN! LET US HELP YOU!"

"Don't! You'll die! Just run, save your lives and avenge me."

Vlad ignored Charles' following attack, dodging it, jumping toward the pirates who broke their formation, into helping the downed pirate, creating a symphony of death for the audience watching this display of power.

"NOOO! GUYS JUST ABANDON THIS FIGHT! I CAN'T ESCAPE THE WAY I AM, BUT YOU GUYS CAN!"

*Wuahaha* "More, show me more emotions. I might change my mind."

"CURSE YOU! YOU DAMNED DEVIL FRUIT USER! If I had one myself, the whole fight would be different right now."

"If and only if, lad. Unknown to the future and present. Now squeal more. I want to see you cry."

Vlad took a lot of pleasure in those moments hearing Charles show such emotions of helplessness, and after he slaughtered all of the pirates that jumped to save him, the suffering man began crying in anger, for his failure.

*Crying* "Damn it! Why am I so weak? My dream of reaching the pinnacle, all vanishing before my eyes because of this monster."

"Indeed, boy. You are weak. You should have trained yourself more instead of spending your time on extorting people of their money. Showing this fake bravado, of power. Building yourself a fake persona." remarked Vlad who turned toward Charles Vane, starting to walk slowly toward him.

Charles looked to be prepared for his last minutes on the Earth, facing Vlad who looked at him with his abyssal eyes, while on his shoulder he could see a small being looking down at him with sad eyes, as if not wanting to see what was staged in those moments.

"Do it then… kill me! I am ready to die."

"Boy, your dream is to reach the pinnacle of the world, right?"

"It all vanished now that you'll be killing me."

Hearing his response, it made Vlad look down at the man with some interest, before he stabbed his sword in a swift way that Charles couldn't even notice, right next to his throat.

"Lad, do you know what? I will spare you. Your dream is close to one of my dreams of reaching the pinnacle. I will allow you to continue to dream, and strive to reach that dream of yours."

"Motherf… just kill me. … Why spare me now? I wanted to kill you."

"Boy, I can bet I will get lonely in the future, with no one to fight me at the pinnacle. I want someone to continue to entertain me."

"Didn't you say you are a bounty hunter? My head's value is 32.000.000 𝔅."

"Do I look like someone who is interested in money?" asked Vlad while his face frowned, turning malicious once again right in front of this pirate.

"... No."

"Then stop asking stupid questions or I will really kill you. Now answer a question. Do you wish to be my guinea pig?"

"What do you mean?"

"I can place back that severed leg of yours. But I've never done this operation on someone with a fresh amputation. For lack of words, I didn't try to experiment on the prisoners of my homeland."

"Fucker, I will kill you for sure if you place my leg back. Just you wait."

"Wuahaha, that's the spirit, boy. Let me get you to my ship, allowing you to reunite with that pig of yours."

Charles saw this crazy, sinister person make his sword disappear to nowhere, and what happened next was also out of his expectations.

He got grabbed by his neck, and in a swift manner threw to the cold wooden floor of a ship, where he dropped once again to the lower deck where he saw a bag that give off a revolting smell.

"Stay put right there, you also have your leg with you. Keep it safe as if your life hangs on it."

After that, Charles sensed that Vlad departed from the lower deck, with the rest of the conflict dying down, bringing along the screams of panic coming from Ruebard Fiddler, making him close his eyes.

"I've wasted 3 years of my life inside this place for what? This monster still managed to defeat me without even breaking a sweat.

What's more, he is a fucking blind!

I am so pathetic!"

Charles began hitting his head on the wooden plank, creating a wound in the process, at least in the process feeling his frustration being relieved, yet, another thought of the future uncertainty rose in his mind.

"I am fucked! This guy can simply give me to the marines. Wait, but he killed Broadhand, doesn't this make him a criminal like myself? Hahaha, that's good. I can't wait to hear about how those strong marines come to get your head."

All sorts of scenarios played inside his mind, until he turned all silent when the footsteps of people resounded close to the ship, and what happened next was total humiliation for Charles Vane.

"It is as Mister Dracul remarked. He killed Charles Vane, and will bring his corpse to the marines inside Valent City. Getting so close to this motherfucker who allowed those crazy bastards to pull so many dirty things. Some close relative of mine even got raped by that Laurance."

"Isn't in that bag, something like a circular thing? Maybe that animal's head? Since it wasn't Mister Dracul the one who killed all of the Vane Pirates."

"Bah, damned parasites. We have to strengthen our defenses and never allow such pirates to reach power. Erek and his boys also routed that greedy bastard Ruebard Fiddler, and for sure he will be judged by the city."

Carrying out the supplies for Vlad's journey, some of the boys spit on Charles' face while the pirate acted dead, sensing the fear that maybe if he showed he was alive, they would kill him.

'DAMNED FUCKS! If I don't kill each of you, don't call me Charles Vane.'

"Hmph' that's going easy on him. Let me show you how I would deal with such criminals."

*Pissing*

From nowhere, a guy who arrived with another series of supplies pulled his pants and started pissing on Charles, which almost made the pirate snap out and try killing the guy who took his dick out to piss on him.

Outside of the ship, Vlad looked at the merchant who showed great respect back, bowing in an almost servient manner, while praising him for his achievements of ending the Vane Pirates.

"Master Dracul, I never expected you to be such a powerful bounty hunter. Never, ever. That you would be the one that killed The Animal, Laurance.

You don't know how many of us, simple citizens, breathed out in relief at the first news of that animal's death."

"Sure, don't overreact. Here, this is the money for all the supplies with extra for the great scare you've lived."

The merchant saw Vlad took out from one of his pockets a bag full of gold coins, where he started pulling out coins that he placed in his hands, one by one, until the amount of 85.000 𝔅 filled all of his pockets.

"Because of my blindness, I don't use bills to pay. This is why I also ask the ones I trade to give change in coins."

"No problem at all Master Dracul. It is all good."

Nodding his head, he listened in the distance, the raging Mayor who was apprehended by the public and Erek, where not long after a late 40's man appeared accompanied by two men and one woman appeared, followed by an old man wearing priestly clothes.

"Arachar! YOU BASTARD! YOU TRAITOR! HOW DARE YOU DO THIS TO ME, THE RULER OF BULGE!"

"Greedy pig, keep quiet. You forgot that Bulge Island is one of the Republics of South Blue. You've thrown away all the traditions after finding support in Charles Vane and that corrupt marine, Broadhand.

You've blocked all of our attempts at holding a fair election for the next leader, by using your dogs to terrorize and instill fear in the common people, but not in us. This time, you will be the one to be judged."

"YOU DON'T HAVE SUCH POWER! YOU BASTARDS! RELEASE ME!"

"Erek, you know where to take him. Straight to the central square. I want you to raise the platform and bring the sacred executioner sword from my office."

"Yes, boss."

Vlad heard all the squealing of the pig, Ruebard Fiddler, but overall he didn't care about the situation that would follow in the Bulge Island.

In the first place his intent wasn't to be anyone's savior, and things just worked out in such way, but while he remained close to his ship, the Innkeeper along with the rest of his followers, walked toward him.

"Mister Dracul, you have my appreciation for fighting alongside my people, and freeing us from this tyranny."

"You don't have to bow to me. Things worked out in this way. You worked to retake your fate, so don't lose it now." mentioned Vlad, when seeing the Innkeeper and the other three, except the Priest, bow at him, showing their respect.

'Hah, don't kid me. You've taken full advantage of me. Probably you've kept that pig inside your tavern for that reason. Plotting something behind everyone's back so you can take the power.'

"Young sir, thank you for everything, and also our apologies for us and our lands being so inhospitable for you. We will strive to improve the situation around the Bulge Island in the future, and maybe, if you ever visit our island again, to allow us to welcome you with all the honors."

"Sure, but don't stress yourself too much. I just want to be left alone, without much buzzing around me. Anyway, do you guys have anything else to add?"

"Young man, now that you've killed Charles Vane, your name will know quite the notoriety inside the South Blue. Make sure to avoid entering into conflict with all sorts of idiots that might lead to situations like this." advised the old Priest glancing at Vlad's wounds at his hands and legs.

"Likewise, you better avoid entering another power struggle and better reform your political system in making sure no true person holds the whole administrative power."

"What about Vane's body? Do you want to claim his bounty here?" asked Arachar, looking at Vlad with a calm expression.

"No. That's why there are Marines, right? I will claim their bounties in the next stop."

The surviving leaders of Bulge Island, tried to keep Vlad to their island for some extra days, but it was clear as day, that Vlad was of another opinion, and with only a couple of hours before night arrived, he stepped inside the ship, preparing to take off.

No longer feeling bothered by random people trying to get something from him, he set sail, departing from the Fiddler City, listening to a young woman's voice, remarking with her voice sounding slightly relieved.

"You could have spared more of those pirates. For most of the fight you had with them, they were helpless like children."

"Titania, you've seen it with your own eyes. Their guns and bombs, are still dangerous even to me. Which always makes me vigilant whenever someone takes out those weapons. Even a little kid can be dangerous if you teach them how to use those weapons."

"And again, we will return our discussion about how there are no innocent people, when they try to harm you."

"Fine, I understand your logic. But I still want you not to hurt those people."

"You know, Titania, sometimes I look down on such a view of life.

Those pirates, I am willing to bet with you, that each of them committed a crime in their life.

They harmed someone for their own benefit, for that I am certain.

Also, let me ask you. Have you seen me harm those marines apart from that barking dog?"

"No …"

"Which means?"

"You can control yourself?"

"Exactly. Now be a good girl, and stop nagging me about some insignificant criminals."

"One more thing." said the Fairy resting herself on Vlad's head, combing with her hands his long hair.

"Mhm?"

"Are you serious about sparing the guy you brought in our ship?"

"Yeah, it will make my life a bit interesting. Especially when I might meet him again in the future when he is all grown up, ready to challenge me again and put up a good fight."

"You truly are weird. You could simply defeat him without hurting him."

"That will teach him a dear lesson in life. Now, keep an eye on the compass, and our surroundings.

There should be a small island not far from the Bulge. It should be uninhibited, I want to anchor there, and spend the night while experimenting on that boy."

"Sigh, you'll make him cry for sure."

"I got a potion that can numb his pain. Right, can you bring me the healing ointment from the cabin? Those small burns start annoying me."

"That's what you deserve for risking your skin for crazy stunts."

"Now, now. You only live once. We have to make sure to experience everything."

.

.

Inside the Fiddler City with the night sky watching everything going inside this place, many people gathered around the center of the square, just like when Vlad arrived in the city, witnessing the "trial" of a so-called criminal that challenged Charles Vane and Ruebard Fiddler authority.

On a raised platform a fat middle-aged man was held in chains by Erek and other strong, able, guys who looked with a murderous look at the former figure of power, who was reduced to nothing more than a pathetic man begging to be released.

"Don't beg us, you bastard. We are not the ones to decide your fate. Instead it is the whole city." replied Erek, with a cold voice, ignoring later on, all of Ruebard's attempts at manipulating the warriors.

The gathered citizens of Bulge Island could see the Innkeeper climb on the stairs, by himself, standing wearing his working clothes, to symbolize some humbleness before those hard-working people who suffered plenty at the corruption of Ruebard's expense.

"My friends, the question I ask you tonight is rather simple.

Decapitation or hanging?"

"No, please! Arachar, we can talk it out. There's no need to kill me."

"Tell that to all the innocent people you've killed, in Hell. Now be subjected to the same judgment you've placed on others."

"You'll need my treasury to pay the Heavenly Tribute."

"We already found it. So don't worry about that."

"But how??"

The fat Mayor was filled with confusion, but it swiftly vanished when he heard the cries of the people who all in unison, shouted toward Arachar.

"HANGING!"

"Please no! I AM YOUR LEADER! HOW CAN YOU TREAT ME LIKE THIS!"

"TELL THAT TO EVERYONE YOU KILLED WITH THOSE GREEDY HANDS OF YOURS, YOU PIG!"

A rock was thrown hitting his head, splitting his "delicate" skin open, coming from the public, and with a pathetic appearance with blood filling his face.

Erek and the rest of the warriors at Arachar's orders, prepared for the send-off which led to everyone's cheers in public when seeing the fatman hanging on the tall structure of the gallows.

"Remain here in case a fool has some ideas on saving his skin. It will take a couple of minutes before he dies for sure."

"If the rope rips, tie him again. There's no "Godly" intervention in this entire charade. Now, if you excuse me, this night will be busy for me."

Soon after, Arachar arrived at Ruebard's mansion, where a small part of the surviving servants bowed respectfully at him.

He ignored them, walking directly to the fatman's private room, starting to search for something inside his room, stopping only when he got his hands on a dial snail hidden well inside a cabinet, containing a number.

[The damned Bastard, from Valent. Dial number: 543-721-043]

"Found you. Let's set things straight with the marines, so we don't get to any surprising events from them. That blind guy might have killed Broadhand, but does it even count as killing a marine?

A corrupt fuck like that? No way. Let's place all this mess on Vane's name."

『PURU* PURU*』

『PURU* PURU*』

.

.

『PURU* PURU*』

'Sure, fucker, make yourself hard to reach now. It is only 10:25 PM, give me a break. I doubt you'll be sleeping at this time.'

『PURU* PURU*』

Arachar tapped his feet on the floor, starting to get impatient, until the dial snail released the sound of getting its call picked, along with the voice of a man that seemed to respond with a curious tone.

"Fatty, you've finally decided to talk?"

"Captain Kirin, this is not Ruebard Fiddler speaking to you, but instead the provisional leader of the Bulge Island, Arachar."

"Really now? The rebel the fatty mentioned? I see, how can I be of service?"

"I wanted to announce to you that Charles Vane has been killed. Also, the Commander of the Marine Base inside the city also perished being killed in the fight. While Fiddler has been judged by the people."

"That Vane guy got killed? By whom? I didn't send any of my officers to kill that sly bastard."

"I doubt you'll know about this person since he calls himself an adventurer."

"Try me. Auril, come here for a brief moment and bring your logbook along, there's something interesting on the line."

"Right away, Captain."

Arachar could hear the conversation between the Marine Captain sitting at the center of the South Blue, right inside Valent City of Kaysang Kingdom, seeming unbothered by any events concerning the region, as if it was worth nothing to him. Yet, the news he brought to him, about Charles Vane, shifted the Captain's approach, turning interested.

"Okay, I am ready. Who is the guy that killed Vane?"

"Someone called Vlad Dracul." remarked the Innkeeper in a calm voice, whereas Kirin asked his officer, giving the impression that he knew the name from somewhere.

"Auril, I feel I know this name from somewhere. Help me out a bit, your memory is better in regard to names."

"The one who killed Malus, the team we sent to Calmaria Island confirmed that it is indeed Malus that was killed."

"Yes, yes, that's why I felt it was familiar. But then again, who is this Dracul guy?"

"From the information given by the Elder of the Island, is someone from Picodras. A blind person adventuring on South Blue."

"A blind person? Really??? Rebel guy, can you confirm what my officer just said?"

"Indeed, this Vlad Dracul is a blind person."

"And he managed to kill Charles Vane, someone who killed one of my officers. Would you look at that?

Auril, is this guy a criminal or pirate? Check the logs."

"I've checked them beforehand when his name was brought about. There's no criminal activity on his name, and now that makes his second kill."

"Ahem, he also killed Vane's subordinate, Laurance."

"Hah? Who the fuck is this Laurance?"

"Let me see, Captain. … Right, "The Animal" Laurance. 10.000.000 𝔅. This guy is a notorious rapist and killer, who made a mess inside Lathast Island, rather close to the border with Kaysang Kingdom."

"So this makes it three rather decent bounties that this Dracul guy managed to claim? How much do we have to give him if he comes with their heads to our base or any adjutant base?"

"If we take in account Malus's bounty in fully, that would be about 50.750.000 𝔅." replied the officer in a stoic manner, not showing much of his emotions while Kirin was doing a great display of his personality, showing great interest in those moments on Vlad.

"Vlad … Dracul … Should I thank him, Auril? He kind of does my job."

"Well, we can also assume he killed Commander Broadhand."

"Meh, who cares about some rat? Would I place a bounty on such a good boy working for me without even knowing? That would be dumb from my side. Let the guy continue hunting down those parasites, and I will give him the offer of his lifetime."

"Hoho, what would that be Captain?"

"Joining the Marines without being subjected to the long Bureaucratic System. I will talk with Sir Momonga about skipping the lines, sending him directly to the HQ in the Elite Academy."

"Whoa, that's sure enticing, but we shouldn't talk about this on an open line."

"Bahahaha, who cares? Let those fucks who have enough money to tap into my calls to do so. I have nothing to hide. Right, the Rebel guy, Arachar you said you were called?"

"Yes, sir?" inquired Arachar, feeling a bit nervous talking with this marine Captain that he heard came from the Headquarters of the Marines, the Legendary Marineford.

"Good job, I will send an officer of mine to Bulge to lead the Marine Base there. You better welcome him properly this time. Do you want to add something else?"

"No sir, that's all I wanted to tell you."

"Good. Have a pleasant night."

『*GATCHA*』

'Phew, this talk went rather smoothly? Isn't it because of that Dracul guy? It seems he killed another strong pirate on those adventures of his. I wonder who else will be on his namelist.'

 

A/N: Captain Kirin, you become more mysterious with each call you receive. I wonder what Vlad's reaction would be knowing he is doing the job of someone else?

.

Cheer me up! Rate! Comment! Review!
— Patre0n: patre0n.com/Morpheus146 — Discord: https://discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

18