Chapter 44: Arrival at Skyfruit Temple
282 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 44: Arrival at Skyfruit Temple


"Ohoo, a weird creature like the Guardian from Galerna Mountain. This will be interesting."

Vlad's keen senses were on point, and before the descending monkey could land a blow on him, he dashed to the side, and his ink-black hair immediately got disheveled once he pulled his long hairpin which morphed into a Kilij.

"That's cheating! Why have you dodged?" asked the red monkey that had the size of a young boy, about 10-12 years old, not knowing how to shift his descending move.

The impact of his staff when touching the ground was quite impressive for a monkey the size of a kid, however, before the monkey could even assert the entire situation, all its red fur got goosebumps when Vlad swung his blade.

The monkey uses its tail to jump from harm's way, looking at Vlad whose face held a small mocking smile, where later a humm exited his mouth which made this creature confused.

"Titania, can you describe this little creature for me? I can make out its shape, but I have no idea what creature it is."

Titania who was standing on Vlad's head, popped her head out from her hideout and watched this monkey that came from nowhere attacking Vlad. After some seconds, she declined, but thought about something lingering in her memory.

"Me neither. Wait, wait, I think I know. That's a monkey! It's exactly like the ones from the books we stole from Bulge Island."

"A monkey? Interesting."

"Hehehe, I am not an ordinary monkey. But The Great Monkey King! Hehehe, I will show you how capable I am, you intruder." mentioned the red monkey, who charged at Vlad displaying swift agility where he avoided Vlad's blade strikes.

Titania could see that Vlad wasn't using even half of his strength and speed while fighting this monkey, instead, when she lowered her face to glance at his face, she saw him smiling in a genuine manner.

'Why do you like toying with the ones you are fighting? You did something similar to the Guardian. It will lead to you getting injured.'

Vlad didn't know what Titania was thinking about him since he was preoccupied with fighting the red monkey who used swift attacks with his staff, where he saw plenty of chances of cutting in half his staff.

Yet, where would be the fun, in killing this little pup in one cruel swing of his Kilij that could bisect a wild beast inside a forest?

Instead, he took great satisfaction messing around with the monkey, parrying his attacks, and at times kicking him in the stomach to reset his attacks.

*Humming*

"Not bad, not bad. You almost grazed my chest with that tricky staff attack. Whoever taught you, taught you well." mentioned Vlad, giving the monkey boy some praise, which made Titania surprised, glancing at this monkey with some curiosity.

"I didn't even start, old man. I will show you the mastery of Skyfruit Martial Arts."

From nowhere, the red monkey charged at Vlad morphing his dominant hand into a bigger shape while he was swinging his staff, sure to hit Vlad.

*SMASH*

The staff made contact with the ground, while the monkey boy looked confused, not knowing where Vlad vanished, only where a humming tune scared him shitless.

"Bau." said Vlad in the ear of the monkey, enjoying the reaction he received from the kid.

"AHHHH! How? Do you know Pop's Soru?"

"Maybe, maybe not. What's wrong, child? Have you lost your initial courage?"

"No way! I, the Great Monkey King, remain unbeaten inside the Temple and against everyone I challenged."

"Ohhh, really?" asked Vlad who started walking in a casual manner toward the boy, holding his Kilij lowered.

"Yea, why would I lie?"  confirmed the boy with his voice losing a bit of power, showing some uncertainty.

"I also remain undefeated, in one against one duels. So be careful, I hate losing."

The red monkey charged once again at Vlad, this time approaching the fight differently, and instead of using his staff for attacking he did it to distract Vlad's sword. Yet, what the monkey boy didn't know was that Vlad was fighting using his hearing and smell, instead of his sight.

Feints only worked against those that could see, but he still allowed the child to continue his combos, wanting to test his body resilience, such that he let some of the kid's punches connect.

'Surprisingly, this child isn't weak at all. Maybe it is because of his Devil Fruit powers. Let me taste a bit more of this child's attacks, and I'll end it since I didn't come to babysit kids.'

'Also, this child is amusing seeing grow in spirit whenever he connects his pillow hands on my upper body.'

'Tsk, tsk, I knew I am weak to kids, maybe it is my paternal instincts awakening again. Hah, I am not a good father at all, my sons were all left with their mothers since I was busy with the realm.'

Thinking that his mood remained the same, allowing the monkey boy to land some punches on his stomach, before he had enough and shifted his fighting stance, solely focusing on countering the boy's attacks.

He saw this tactic as rather lazy, but with this proactive monkey that wanted to fight him, it made it easier for him.

"Playtime is over, little boy. Now is the time to take everything you are capable of, or you'll regret not being able to do more."

Saying that he scared away the little monkey with a slash of his Kilij, having him dodge around, and as the minutes passed with him being the one attacking, he learned from Titania that this monkey had the face of a child,

On the other hand, the red monkey wasn't concerned with what Vlad was talking to himself, and instead focused all his knowledge on how to beat Vlad the fastest way possible, having a feeling he wouldn't last for too long against this tall man.

Vlad, sensing the monkey retreating a bit, taking some space, looked intrigued, and while playing along with the child's game, he started walking in his direction, not rushing him at all.

Then, as he got closer to him, he senses the red monkey shift forms, turning himself bigger, and from nowhere, out of his expectations, this monkey boy made his leg even bigger than his body and tensing it out shaking it, he kicked toward Vlad even though there was a sizable distance between the two.

"Rankyaku!"

From the deformed leg of the red monkey, a blue blade the size of Vlad's Kilij was sent flying toward the black-haired, young man who sensed all the chances going around him.

"Watch out Vlad! That brat sent out an attack like a projectile!"

"Hehe, cry all you want, he can't defeat my Rankyaku." commented the red monkey with a proud tone, watching with expecting eyes at his own attack.

Yet looking at Vlad, he didn't see him panicking at all, still having a small smile on his face.

With his right hand holding the Kilij, he used his blade to destroy this Air Blade, but in doing so he tasted for himself how powerful this little monkeys' attack could get.

"Mhmm, this technique you did, child, is not bad. A flying attack coming from your leg? I have never seen it in my life."

The red monkey when seeing how Vlad broke his special technique that only himself from the entire disciples from the Skyfruit Temple learned, it made him start asking questions.

"Nooo way! He even survived the Rankyaku?? That's my strongest attack I learned from Pops."

"Kukuku, little monkey. You are still only a baby compared to old me. It was an interesting attack I should add. You've got more for me?"

When hearing Vlad's mocking inquiry, the red monkey gnashed his sharp teeth, and without wasting any time, he charged at Vlad in his larger form, attacking him with his staff that Vlad with a wicked smile, slashed into pieces.

"Bad idea, boya.

Didn't you learn that my sword is stronger than your wooden staff? Or has your frustration grown heavy on your mind? A pity, I was expecting more from you."

"That was a distraction to give you this."

"Eat this! Rankyaku: Monkey Tail!"

His senses alerted him instinctively by now, that something was about to hit him, and taking his instincts for granted he stabbed the sword on the ground and blocked the strongest part of the monkey's attack.

Still, the rest of his attack slashed at his body making some slicing wounds around his arms and body.

"Impressive! Such a good boy. Come, show me more."

"Arghh! Damn, that was really my best attack. Who are you, intruders? Do you wish to steal the secret techniques of my Temple?"

"Huhuhu, what a cute child, he even knows how to throw jokes.

Old Grabert, whose child is this one? I already know he eat a devil fruit, the Zoan Type which made him into a monkey."

"No idea, with all that red fur on the body, I can't tell."

Then the monkey noticed that Grabert was looking from not far away at him and Vlad squared it off, and immediately pointed it out at him, saying with a surprised voice.

"The Forge Grampa!!! What are you doing in Jade Mountain? This place is forbidden for outsiders."

"Unfortunate circumstances child, I also didn't want to get here." told Grabert while shrugging his shoulders, already having an idea who this boy was from the manner he addressed.

The monkey boy nodded his head at the old man, and turning at Vlad he looked a bit scared of him, especially as he started walking in his direction.

"Is not really that bad. Ahem, Forge Grampa, can you tell the mister with the sword to leave me off for today?"

Finding this question amusing, Grabert, asked with a teasing smile.

"Why don't you ask him?"

"Because I hate to lose." told the monkey boy, who morphed his body into the smaller monkey form, where his human features could be seen clearly.

Vlad, hearing that, started chuckling, walking toward the monkey with his Kilij looking menacing to this child, resulting in the young boy gulping his saliva while starting to back away.

"You hate losing, boy? But it just so happens I also have the tendency of hating to lose. Haven't I told you from the start when you began attacking me?

Come here and learn your lesson to not attack someone you know got no chance of defeating."

"Nooo!! How could I know you, mister, are strong? You look like a thief, a vagabond from the town, who tries to steal from the Temple.

It is my duty to protect the temple.

*Chuckle*

Titania started giggling when hearing this monkey boy's reasoning for attacking Vlad, and she told to herself, letting Vlad hear her thoughts.

"That child isn't wrong, you look like a thief by climbing the mountain, and appearing here from nowhere."

"Exactly, madam I can't see. You are right. How could I know he wasn't a thief?"

"Hah, this doesn't change the gravity of what you've done. Still, commendable, but it doesn't give you an excuse not to be punished for attacking people for no reason.

"Come here, you brat, and get my fatherly love."

Saying that Vlad dashed with his fast speed, and with himself clicking his tongue to make a detailed map in his mind which tired him more than the actual fighting, he moved his left and grabbed the monkey.

"Nooo! I will not be defeated now."

The boy dropped to the floor, surprising Vlad who was ready to scoop him by the nape, and while on the floor the monkey began rolling around, getting distance from Vlad.

"You are slow, old man! Abayoo!"

From there on, in a shameless manner, the monkey jumped on one of the trees, and ran for his life, leaving Vlad standing next to a tree, with the Kilij disappearing, turning back into the hairpin, while himself started pulling his hair back into a tie.

"Young Vlad, what will you do about that little monkey? You aren't serious about harming it? It will be troublesome since that's a disciple of Skyfruit Temple, a good one at that."

"No need. We'll soon meet that cheeky brat, and teach him a lesson.

Let's get moving, old Grabert, you've got plenty of time to recover your energy."

"This time, you'll follow after me. I don't want you to take me to the summit of the mountain since Skyfruit Temple isn't there anyway. It's lower in the mountain."

"Okay, okay, is not like you had to do anything since I was carrying you." mentioned Vlad in a calm manner, taking some of the red monkey's fallen hair that he created a small bundle.

"Well, you aren't wrong about that."

The two, old and young, began moving in a cleared path of the forest, which took them some minutes to find, and following that path, they were led toward the Skyfruit Temple.

In front of their eyes, except for Vlad who couldn't see that far, a large temple appeared where around smaller housing buildings could be seen.

"This is Skyfruit Temple. We got to the right place, unlike my worries."

After staying for a bit outside of the building's range, Titania took her time to observe the large temple, which looked more like a monastery to Vlad after she described in detail how the Temple looked.

'The chances of getting my hands on some good books are higher than I expected. Doing my journey like this, and stopping at Athkatla wasn't wrong.'

'I could directly move to Sorbet Kingdom from Bulge Island, but wouldn't I be missing everything going on here?'

Stepping forward, Vlad took the lead, clicking his tongue, only making out some small details, such as being able to see the steps leading up to the Temple.

The surroundings were all ordered, while the steps leading toward the temple were all cleared out, where one could see kids wearing simple, monk attire brush the stairs of the temple, stopping in their work once Vlad and Grabert made their appearance.

Whispers started ensuing between the disciples, who from what Vlad could understand, rarely saw guests climbing the mountain to have an audience with Elder Greenwood.

And before he knew it, once he finished climbing the steps together with old Grabert, the news about his visit spread like wildfire inside the Temple.

"Is this something common here? This type of reception?" inquired Vlad, stepping at a slower pace, giving Grabert a chance to keep up with himself.

"No idea, this is my first time too. If not for those plants that might help me, I wouldn't be bothered to climb the mountain and seek those two brats."

"Mhm, still it is fine. I don't feel any repulsive sensation from the vibe of this place. What about you Titania, are you on the same page with me on this one?"

"Yea, I feel the same. The atmosphere of this place is peaceful like it is one with nature." commented the Fairy, looking at the fauna surrounding the mountain, feeling as if she was back to Galena Mountain.

"I don't know what you two are feeling, but you shouldn't worry about being attacked inside the Temple. I've heard plenty of stories from people who visited the Temple to learn some procedures."

"Like how that little baby attacked me?"

"That… Take it as an accident."

Finishing the climb of the stairs, Vlad heard from Titania that they arrived at something like a fortress gate, where they walked toward a hallway, which led to a plaza.

There a lot of people were gathered, with the older ones being in front watching with interest at the newcomers, while around them, various children of ranging ages were watching Vlad and Grabert.

'Fuck, those guys didn't tell me that getting to Skyfruit Temple would be so tense. I'll get back at you, damned bastards.'

Some uncertainty built up in old Grabert's mind, which vanished when an elderly person with a long beard and Manchurian hairstyle, wearing a traditional Hanfu appeared.

The old man walked slowly from the main building of the Temple, as if it was the palace court, stepping down the stairs, and making his way toward the plaza, greeting Vlad in a formal manner.

"Greetings and welcome to Skyfruit Temple, I am the Head Elder of this establishment, Greenwood."

"What brings you this visit to my humble Temple?"

Vlad clicked his tongue in the direction of the old man that had a small stature, about 171 centimeters, which was taken as a sign of disrespect by the older ones next to him, yet, the elder simply waved his hands, looking at Vlad with great interest.

*Click*

"I greet you, Elder. My name is Vlad Dracul, a traveler, a doctor, and a bounty hunter from Picodras Island. Hearing about the prestige of your Skyfruit Temple, I came forth with a small question."

The old man, stroking his long beard, and studying Vlad who "looked" back at him with his abyssal eyes, asked curiously.

"You've climbed Jade Mountain for a small question? Please, go ahead."

"I wanted to know if your Temple has a Library, and if people outside of your Temple are allowed to enter, and study the contents of the books in said Library."

"The Temple, certainly, does have the Library you are looking for. However, only people who pass my judgment can step inside."

"I don't mind, test what you have to test. I simply desire to read books, without being interested in worldly possessions."

"Good, then we'll settle your request soon. What about you, mister? With what can my temple help you?" asked Elder Greenwood, addressing Grabert in a humble manner.

"Ahem, I came looking for two of your disciples, Elder Greenwood."

"Two of my disciples? Who could they be, mind telling me?"

"Of course, they are called Arkhan and Amak."

"I see, no problem. Do the two disciples in question are present?" asked the old man in a serene voice, keeping watch over Vlad, as if he was studying an enemy.

When that question was asked in the crowd, a boy about 10 years old raised his hand, stepping forward from the crowd of disciples. It was a boy with brown hair, which immediately became familiar to Grabert, who started nodding his head.

"Present, Master."

"I see, what about Arkhan? Is he sleeping again?"

"Reporting to master, I don't know where brother Arkhan is. He should have returned from his patrol."

.

The one asked for, was washing up his dirty buddhist monk robe that suffered after getting messed up by a tall, young man, who was imprinted in the mind of this boy with tan skin with long wavy crimson hair with golden circlet and bead-braids on his side.

His face was still of a child, but the way he was looking in the water bucket was of disappointment.

"That mister got to be good. I couldn't do anything to him, even though I'd eaten the fruit pops held inside the Altar said to be the treasure of the Temple.

I am still so weak compared to that person or the old bums! Damn it! I need to be stronger than everyone, only in this way will I be able to protect my friends down in the city."

While he was washing his monk robe full of dirt stains, he could hear that something was going on inside the Temple's plaza, and without knowing what happened, he still chose to wash his robe, not wishing to be seen by Elder Greenwood with marks of his cheeky acts.

"Brother Arkhan! Brother Arkhan! High Elder is requesting your presence!" shouted some disciples, trying to find the crimson-haired boy, who scratched his butt, only protected by his underwear.

"Chee, can't they leave me alone? I can't do that, do that, then for some reason that old man wants to beat me. Why are they stressing me so much?" murmured the boy, who transformed his body into a small monkey, and without anyone noticing him, he entered a small shack.

Transforming back into a human form, he walked toward a chair that had some stinky clothes that he forgot to wash and decided to wear them.

"At least being dirty from stains, let me stink of hard work. Hehe, it tells a better story."

Finishing changing his clothes, he dashed when he heard the other disciples getting impatient and nervous, arranging his robe on his way to the plaza, and once there he saw everyone gathered as if some important person came.

"Arkhan, you finally got your ass out from where you were hiding! You lazy bum, the High Elder was looking for you." scolded an old man holding a broomstick in his hand, hitting him with the shaft of the broom.

'Fuck you, old man. I will shit on your bed again after I have a good meal.'

"Little Arkhan, you've finally come. This old gentleman wants to have a conversation with you." mentioned Elder Greenwood, without even turning his body to look at the crimson-haired boy, and he did well for not turning,

The one called Arkhan, when he noticed who the ones standing in front were, had his face crumbling with shock, pointing out and also calling out Vlad for haunting him like a ghost.

*Cough* *Cough* "I greet the esteemed guests. This disciple's name is Arkhan. Sir, I heard you were looking for me? How can I help?"

13