Ch. 2 – Home sweet home
8.9k 24 201
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After some searching, I couldn’t find anything that looked like decent meal, but I was able to find a sort of berry that sated my hunger for the time being. It wasn’t sweet or tasty, just plain berry that not even animals wanted to eat for some reason, maybe because it was a bit bitter.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Poison resistance lvl. 1] ]

Yup, I didn’t hear anything. And now that I had time to calmly think, I started to feel puzzled about mysterious voice that informed me about gaining skills. It just came out of nowhere when I was running and now that I ate the berries. Does that mean that everything I do can be classified as gaining proficiency for certain skills? If that did make me stronger then I wasn’t complaining, but there could exists some unwanted skills, like gross smell for example. I didn’t know why but the idea wasn’t very appealing.

I was realizing that now, but I had a lot of knowledge about this world, with some exceptions like the system that was making me acquire skills and the race that skeleton I saw earlier. I knew the giant bird was a crow before I appraised it and it was bothering me that it could mean that I wasn’t just born today. Maybe I lost my memories? But I think I’m a spider and what memories could spider have? If I strain my mind, one memory comes to me, “humans are tasty”. What the hell? Did I even eat humans? And why is this memory the one that comes to my mind? Well, seeing that skeleton, humans were much bigger than me, about four times as high. They would just stomp at me, had I tried to eat them, even though the idea of having something tasty to eat seemed appealing to me. I want to eat human meat. No longer having the idea where this thoughts come from, I just shrugged and started moving forward. I had to find some real food.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Mental resistance lvl. 1] ]

Just where did it come from? I mean I like the skill, but what did I do to acquire it? Do they just come at you randomly? Well no point at thinking about it now, I’m grateful for every bit of strength I receive so all is good. For now let’s just focus on finding meal, I’m a spider and spiders have a special method for that. I mean I have the skill [Spider web] so I need to use it for something, don’t I? Wait, wasn’t it inferior and lvl. 1? Will it even be able to stop something? The area is swarming with powerful monsters and I want to catch something with that?

Well, no harm trying. I quickly started my work, first I located nice area to build my web, and then while humming, well, not really, I started spinning patterns with my sticky strings. Maybe it was spider intuition, but even without knowing what I was actually doing, my finished web looked quite decent. I made a small house with my string and hid inside, if something touched my web, I would be informed by its vibrations. Spiders are quite convenient.

I started to feel sleepy and not much time later I actually fell asleep dreaming about eating meat of humans. It sure was tasty, even though I should have never seen a human, and eat him at that. I was woken abruptly just as I was about to catch next prey, by the massive shaking of my house. It wasn’t slight vibration I was expecting, it was as like an earthquake. I quickly went outside to look at my web and I couldn’t believe my eyes. The same looking crow that gave me a run earlier, was now struggling to get out of my inferior spider web. Maybe it was much stronger than I though? It must be since it’s actually holding against this beast.

Not wasting time, waiting until it gets out, I sneaked behind it, and then bit into its neck with my fangs activating [Weak poison]. It started struggling even harder, but I was latched into it, pumping poison with all my might. It took a while, but it finally stopped moving.

[Obtained enough experience. Level risen to 2]
[Obtained enough experience. Level risen to 3]
[Obtained enough experience. Level risen to 4]
[Obtained enough experience. Level risen to 5]

Wow, I hit four levels at one time. I wasn’t sure what it actually meant but that voice was probably speaking when I was getting stronger, so I was quite happy. More than that, I managed to secure meat for days. I instantly started tearing the bird apart, so I could eat the prize for my struggling, but the feathers were in the way. Well, it was time to start plucking them out, but soon I realized it was easier said than done. I eventually managed to pluck a part big enough so I finally could eat, but when I actually took a bite I was repulsed. It tasted awful, it was hard, and it wasn’t even the amount I was hoping for since the bird was a bit scrawny.

Even though I was about to cry, I continued eating, if I wanted to eat something tastier, I had to survive, even while eating this awful meat. This whole forest was a dark place swarming with monsters much stronger than me, and it was a miracle that I managed to bring one down. I had to continue to live like this, hiding in place, while trapping monsters until I gather enough strength to explore. Then I can search for the forest’s exit and finally find myself a human to eat. Really, what’s with this human obsession, did they make me mad in previous life or something?

201