Ch. 3 – Contemplating on skills and other matters
7.9k 11 177
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For some reason after I caught the bird the area around my nest got weirdly silent. Even when I went to search for monsters, I couldn’t see any. I was relieved I've found a safe place, but that created another problem. I had nothing to do. I had a source of food in shape of a giant bird, so for now i didn't have to search anymore. I wanted to stay here and level up for free, but to do that i would need monsters to actually appear. Since I couldn't make that happen manually i had to find something else to do, and that something would be checking out the system.

[Small inferior albino Tarantula (Young)]
[Lvl: 5/10]
[Status:]
{
HP: 23; MP: 7;
Strength: 29;
Intelligence: 29;
Agility: 29;
Vitality: 29;
Defensive ability: 14;
Offensive ability: 14;
}
[Skills:]
{ [Appraisal] [Weak poison lvl. 1] [Inferior spider web lvl. 1] [Fear resistance lvl.2]
[Faint resistance lvl. 1] [Surpass limits lvl. 1] [Poison resistance lvl. 1] [Mental resistance lvl. 1]   }

Oh, my stats increased along with my level. Not as much as I’d like but every grain counts. I got my resistance skills fairly easy, so maybe I could do something to gain other ones? The only one I could think of was the resistance for physical impact, so maybe I should try hitting myself with something? Or maybe I should try running into a wall? Only thinking won’t take me anywhere, so here I go, full speed ahead with the nearest tree as destination. Oww, why didn’t I expect it would hurt?

[Conditions fullfiled. Gained title [Fool] ]

Hey, that wasn’t nice! Are you mocking me!? Come on and fight me! I will teach you whoever you are to not call some one a fool! Suddenly I heard a very loud thunder. Okay, I was joking okay? Don’t kill me please! I spent a while cowering in fear, until I finally realized no one is coming after me. I have to remember it’s better to not argue with something you can’t see. Come to think of this, the voice was the only thing that ever spoke to me, maybe we can be friends? Hey mysterious voice, do you want to be my friend? Silence as expected, I don’t really think that voice comes from something sentient, maybe it isn’t even alive?

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Prediction lvl. 1] ]

Hey, it spoke again? Does this mean I was right? Or is it just a coincidence and I just did enough predictions to be able to acquire a skill? There is also another question, why am I able to gain all these skills so fast? I don’t know from where I have this knowledge but according to it to make yourself tougher you need a lot of work, so why this system just gives me skills like they were on sale? I think that something weird is going on, and I may be connected to it.

I think it has something to do with why I don’t have any memories. I’m pretty sure I was alive longer than I remember, but the way I know all these things feels unnatural to me. It feels just like I got it from two or more sources, not just from my memories, but also from somewhere else. Maybe it is also the reason for my obsession with human meat? I felt like my mind was going to fry, so I stopped thinking and went back to trying to acquire physical resistance skill. Again I had to stop because of pain, feeling additional grief from being unable to get the skill. Unless I find easier methods to gain proficiency or some means for healing my pain I should abstain from trying to get resistance skills. Disappointed I went to sleep to try another skills next day.

When I woke up I ate some of the meat left, and then tried running, maybe to get some stamina enhancing skills. I was running steadily, not like some time ago where I was running for my life. I found a stably rhythm and ran for half an hour, and nearly gave up, but then it came.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Endurance lvl. 1] ]

Finally, a useful skill, it should help me with running away from the stronger enemies. I fell in though again, should I really run away? Maybe I should try to cover them all in webs and then use my poison to kill them? The crow wasn’t able to get out of my trap so maybe even inferior threads were strong enough to capture something much bigger than me? After a moment I discarded the though of fighting the monsters that clearly overpowered me. I mean, the bird could just be extremely incompatible with my threads, with it’s light build. A snake probably would just go through my traps without any problems.

I would want to practice making webs to get my hands on higher levels of the skill, but after making this nest I noticed that I got even hungrier than before. The web didn’t come from nothingness, it was sucking nutrients from my body. Maybe I could practice some mental skills like calculation? But then, what would I need it for while I’m a spider? I was really starting to think about moving somewhere else.

177