Ch. 18 – Fighting the boss
4.8k 6 101
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Battling an invisible enemy on top of having to dodge powerful attacks from a freaky monster resembling human. It certainly wasn’t favorable situation. I mean I was looking forward to tasting human meat, and now that I saw this freak, I think I’m going to puke if I take even a bite of them.

 How dare you ruin my future meal, now I’m going to kill you so hard, that you won’t resemble my long awaited dish anymore. Firstly, lets take care of the invisible threat. Since it felt like I was hit by it, and not by a weapon, covering myself in sticky tread should do the trick.

Even I have thought of it as of an stupid idea, since my enemy could be much stronger than me and just drag me along with it after an hit, but it wouldn’t certainly be very bad. I mean, even if I am dragged along, I would know my enemy’s position and hit it.

As how I would remove my threads from myself, I would leave this issue to the future me. It was actually better idea than leaving traps on the floor, since the previous boss just ignored them, and if they were hit with fireball, they would just burn while reducing my dodging area.

The issue now was how I would cover myself in webs, and it could be solved quickly thanks to my new [Thread control] skill. It took a moment, but I succeeded in covering my whole body in a sticky protective layer. Now if I got hit, my enemy would be stuck to me and immobilized.

My counterattack starts now, and because I have a countermeasure for second enemy, let’s take care of the first one. Since my first slash was caught, I had to devise another method of attacking, and it would probably be swinging my web even faster.

My thread mastery level was higher than thread techniques, so having this in mind, I used my skill in thread fighting without additionally empowering my attacks to make them less predictable. It was kind of working since I got a reaction from the monster. It started to sometimes avoid my swings instead of just catching them.

I was expecting to receive hit any moment, but even as I was gaining advantage on the human monster, the invisible enemy didn’t show up. Maybe it was just an attack from the first monster and the second one didn’t even exist?

 I was pretty sure that something invisible hit me, and I was sure that the monster I was observing didn’t make any move back there, but was it possible that it was just one of its abilities to prevent me from escaping?

If it’s like that, let’s make a test, and try to escape again. I jumped and flied above approaching fireball and as it exploded behind me I started to sprint as fast as I could. Actually it was much harder to run straight than before, because the attacks got even more intense.

This time it wasn’t only fireballs that were sent at me, but also ice spears and wind blades that were much faster than fire. Thanks to my prediction I was able to dodge most of them, but some still managed to hit me even if it was just small grazes, they still managed to shave away large chunks of my hp.

[Proficiency reached. Gained skill [Prediction lvl. 5] ]

This skill’s level sure rises fast. Maybe it’s because I am using it a lot to make sure I don’t die a stupid death because of not dodging a lame attack. Still, I’m grateful for the level up, because it will let me save my health for what is yet to come.

And it was coming about now, I was at the same distance from the stairs as before, but now I was fully prepared for an unpredictable attack. I was prepared, and my preparation was a fruitful one. Not later than a second after I crossed a line, invisible attacker came again, and this time, when the attack connected, I got stuck to something and dragged away.

Perfectly in the same moment, I put my plan to use, detaching thread from myself and wrapping it around my enemy. It was possible thanks to my [Thread control] and again I was grateful for having it. The thread binding us together came undone, and because it was while running at high speed, I rolled around for a bit until I stopped.

When I stood up, my enemy was no longer invisible, because it was fully wrapped in white. I wasn’t much surprised, when the shape was resembling another rabbit. The hit I felt earlier was kind of plushy so it was almost obvious.

The real question is why is this dungeon filled with murderous rabbits. Was it supposed to be a joke of dungeon master? Was he bored with his job and with the fact that nobody was exploring this place that he started to fill it with weird enemies?

Well, that didn’t matter for now. Since I already defeated one of my enemies, I might as well take care of the second one. I could escape now, but I wanted to clear this floor, not just take one of the bosses. When I turned my sight to the human monster I froze.

It wasn’t moving, it wasn’t even solid anymore. It looked like it was displayed in a broken TV. Wait, what was a TV? I had no idea but it sounded familiar. It wasn’t important anyway. The main issue was the disappearing monster. The only explanation was that it was just an illusion made by the rabbit I immobilized and was broken when it was left to itself.

So that meant I was struggling with an illusion, and nearly died from its attacks that didn’t even exist in the first place? What a powerful cheat it was. To make illusion into solid object, give it life and make it attack others. I really started to wonder if this dungeon was conquerable.

Dejected a little bit, I decided to kill the rabbit. I was about to sink my fangs into it, when a powerful explosion shook the whole floor. When I looked up, a giant mass of fire was coming my way. Not thinking I jumped back and started to sprint with more than my full power, while simultaneously activating [Limit break].

I had no hope for survival.

101