Chapter 31: Making a breakthrough with the runes
78 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 31: Making a breakthrough with the runes

 Darius went home with a happy smile. He had left the two soulmates to spend some time with one another, and to bask in each other's presence. He was happy that he had gotten them together so easily. 

It is possible for a prince to love a pauper, if they are mates! Darius thought happily. Then, he remembered a couple of stories that Beth told him about people who have outlived their soulmates and still found love, with other people. Perhaps even when they are not mates? I have to tell Anastasios!

The little boy stopped by the office, and peered inside. His father was sewing up a wound. Darius waved at his father, and Andiel nodded, but his eyes were back at the wound moments later.

 Darius then rushed to his room, and took out the mirror. He poured mana inside, and waited until his image was replaced with that of his vampire soulmate's. 

"Anastasios, guess what I did today," Darius spoke, tail wagging behind him. Even though Baliel had told him that he needed to practice controlling his body language, Darius decided that he needed to give Anastasios hints.

"Whatever it was, it made you happy. Hey, I have a gift for you. Did it arrive?" Anastasios asked, and Darius tilted his head to the side. 

"It is not my birthday today," the demon boy said, confused. 

 "I know, silly. Or rather, I don't. When is your birthday, even?" The vampire prince asked, and Darius rubbed the back of his head. 

"I don't know. I never celebrated it. Beth used to give me cake in March, though. But I think that was her birthday," Darius said, thoughtful.

 His mother had always worked extra hard in the days leading up to that one March morning, when she gave him some sort of cake. They always shared a cupcake, or a single slice. Even when she tried to give Darius her half. 

"Well," Anastasios began, feeling uncomfortable. "If that is how it is, then we can share a birthday. My birthday is on the sixth of May, as you well know, so in two weeks." 

"I am working on your present," Darius said, and Anastasios's eyebrows rose. 

"You are making me something? Instead of just buying it? Really?" The vampire had stars in his eyes. Darius grinned brightly. 

"It is something that you will be able to use for life, seeing as how I will restart your heart as soon as it stops," Darius boasted, and Anastasios groaned. 

"Not this again. Dari, I might smell of home, but do you know how many relatives I have, who are your age? One of them might be your soulmate, and..." Anastasios stopped when he saw the look of wonder in the demon's face. 

 "What did you just call me?" Darius asked with a huge grin. 

"Dari. Any problem with that? If you don't want for me to shorten your name, just say so," Anastasios blushed, when he gave the shortened name a thought. It meant intimacy. A deeper friendship, than the one they had.  

Who says our friendship is not a deep one? The vampire prince thought, as he blushed even brighter. Would I have sent such a treasure to just any friend?

Unknown to Darius, Anastasios was beginning to consider their friendship in a new light. Sure, they lived in different dimensions, but they were on the mirror every day. Sometimes, more than once per day. 

"What did you send me?" Darius asked, with a huge grin. Then, he added. "Nastia?" 

"Wait, why does my shortened name sound like a girl's?" Anastasios complained, but he only received a giggle. 

"Out of the two of us, you are the cuter one," Darius proclaimed, and then wagged his tail, when Anastasios blushed. 

"Well, you are the one who looks like a puppy. You are the cuter one," the prince said, and Darius's tail threatened to fall off, so fast did it begin to wag. 

"You think I am cute?" Darius asked, with a lopsided smile. 

"You have a tail, pointy ears, curved horns, not to mention those dimples of yours make you look like a cherub," Anastasios said, blushing even more. 

"Well, now I just need to go and see what you send me," Darius said, and then waved at the mirror. "Bye, Nastia." 

The vampire waved as well, and, just as Darius saw his own image in the mirror, he remembered he hadn't told his soulmate about his matchmaking prowess. He shrugged, and rushed to the front door. The mail box had a big package inside, which had the sign for breakable stamped on it. 

Darius opened the box, and saw a big bottle with blood inside. There was also a note. 

An extended bottle, with all the blood of a single Basilisk. Keep it in the fridge, it does have a preservation rune on, but it needs to be kept cool. Happy experimenting. 

Your friend,

Anastasios. 

"He got me Basilisk blood?" Darius asked the air, and then smiled again. "With this, I can solve the Basilisk blood mystery. Wait, what will happen if I make his rune with both this blood, and my own?"

Darius rushed back to his room, and got the already drawn underwater breathing rune out of his stack with future projects. Uncorking the bottle, he began to pour the blood on the paper, and watched as it was absorbed.

 Then, he cut his hand, and began to pour his own blood over the paper, along with the mana needed to activate the rune. The rune glowed, but it was a soft yellow, and not the usual blue. 

Deciding that he had enough blood for a second rune, Darius pressed the rune to his throat, and then watched as the ink left the paper, and tattooed itself on his skin. Just to the side of his throat, where his skin could hide it. 

"A rune that left the paper?" Darius asked himself, and then grinned brightly. He looked at the now empty paper, and went to wash the rune off. No matter how much he scrubbed; however, it didn't come off. Neither did his grin, although it did dim, when he told his father that now he had a tattoo. That scolding was the stuff of legends. 

12