Chapter 37: Making a fort
72 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 37: Making a fort

 The two friends walked back to Anastasios's room, and then walked back inside. The beddings were still on the floor, and the vampire prince clapped his hands. 

"Ok, bring me a chair," Anastasios commanded, and Darius was quick to comply. He got a chair from next to the big mahogany desk, and dragged it across the room to his friend. "Place it in the middle."

Darius did so, and then he was pointed at a ruler. 

"Bring that as well," the prince demanded, as he was busy putting up a blanket over the chair. Darius didn't have an idea how a ruler was going to help them, but he was certain that he had to listen to Anastasios.

 For, the vampire must have many pillow forts under his belt. Darius took the two-meter ruler, and wondered for what it was used for, normally. He brought it to the vampire, and watched as, with the help of some rope, Anastasios balanced the ruler over the blanket.

"Ok, so, now for the hard part," Anastasios said, as he took out the pillows. Darius saw that there were at least ten of them. "Pile five on the other end. Try to keep the blanket from sliding over." 

"Ok, don't worry," Darius said, and took two pillows. Gently, he lifted the blanket, and placed the pillows on one end. Then, he repeated until there were five pillows rising the blanket. He looked to Anastasios, who looked to be concentrating. The young vampire placed the final pillow, and then pulled up the blanket. 

"Now, come inside, but be careful," Anastasios said, and crawled inside the fort. Darius followed him, careful not to bump into the chair or the pillows. The two laid side by side in the dark, and Darius moved until his head was rested under Anastasios's chin. 

"The carpet really is soft," Darius murmured, and he snuggled deeper into Anastasios's hold. "And you are warm." 

"So are you," Anastasios said, and took in Darius's scent. The vampire didn't know if the demon really thought that he smelt like home, but Darius smelt of herbs, which reminded the vampire of his mother's cooking. The association brought a smile to his face, and he nuzzled into Darius's hair.  

"I almost don't want to leave tomorrow," Darius murmured, and Anastasios sighed. Yes, the demon boy would leave early in the morning, together with his father, and then the only way in which the two of them will be able to see each other would be with the mirror. "Come to Westermire Academy with me?"

"I will be attending the Baskia Royal Academy, Dari," Anastasios told him with more than a bit of regret. "Why don't you come and attend it as well?"  

"I want to be able to visit Andy. He is the first person who saw me as a worthy being, since Beth died," Darius said, and then sighed. "Is there no way for you to come to Westermire? It is the best academy in the whole of Fairstar." 

"I will ask my father," Anastasios promised. It will take a lot of begging, but the prince was certain that his father might cave, if he got his mother on board. And his grandmother's support wouldn't hurt either. 

"Really?" Darius asked, and turned carefully, so he wouldn't disturb the fort. The demon boy ended up lying on top of the vampire. The two of them could see in the dark, and so stared in each other's eyes for any signs of lies or half-truths. 

"I promise I will do my best. If we end up in different academies, I will still visit you. Will you visit me?" Anastasios asked, and Darius nodded energetically, the blanket moving together with his head. "Careful, you will get the fort to collapse on our heads." 

"Sorry," Darius said, and then looked down. Anastasios's fangs were poking out from the corners of his lips. "Are you thirsty? I eat Galtea stew. So, I have plenty of blood, if you need it." 

"Just a sip," Anastasios whispered, and moved Darius, so his throat was exposed. The vampire prince placed his fangs next to his friend's skin, and wavered. "Wait, what if I hurt you?" 

"Nastia, I cut myself every day, more than once. Just how much pain do you think you can bring me?" Darius asked, and then nudged the other boy's head closer to his exposed throat. "Just bite." 

And Anastasios did. The blood that flowed pass his lips was like an ambrosia. He had never gotten such blood before. It was like a mix of all of his favorite foods, bundled up in one perfect masterpiece.

And there was so much of it. Anastasios was full before long, but he still licked at the bitten spot, to get the errant droplets of blood. He heard a giggle, which sounded like a bell chime to him, and he realized something with a start. 

Darius really was his soulmate. They were made to be together. Him, to give off a calming scent for the demon who had been through a lot. More than Anastasios could imagine.

 And Darius, whose blood was as good as ambrosia. No, better. Anastasios had eaten ambrosia before. The jelly had nothing on the demon's blood. The vampire began to blink furiously. 

 What if he gives his blood to another vampire? Will he? If he is my soulmate, he won't, right? No other vampire is allowed to taste his blood. Only I. Forever. 

"Hey, my blood didn't give you a tummy ache, did it?" Darius asked, and Anastasios was brought back to the here and now. 

"A what now? Your blood is the best I have ever drank," the prince assured the demon. "If you promise to never feed another vampire, I promise to stop complaining when you call me your soulmate." 

"For real?" Darius exclaimed, rising so fast, he took the blanket with himself. "Sorry." 

Instead of a scolding, he received a giggle, and he was tugged back down. The blanket slid off the chair, and now the only things that kept it upright were the pillows. 

"Promise me," Anastasios insisted. He felt that, if he didn't get to hear the promise tonight, he wouldn't be able to sleep a wink. 

"No other vampire will ever get my blood," Darius promised, and then closed his eyes, as Anastasios began to play with his hair. 

12