Chapter 39: Change of plans
85 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 39: Change of plans

 "Orestria Academy?" Darius asked, from his spot next to his father. They were in a drawing room, with Anastasios, Prisila, their parents, and Andromeda. 

"Two hundred years of studying sounds like a lot, but you will have the best resources there," Octavian said, and then looked at Andiel. "Two hundred years in the Northern Outposts of the Realms of the Forgotten Realms equals a month here. We will see them old and wise in a month. What do you say?"

"I would have liked it if I got to see Dari grow up," Andiel protested, but then he was hit with two sets of puppy eyes. "You really want this, don't you?"

His question was for both boys. They both nodded. 

"Two hundred years with my best friend would be the best. And after that, we will still live together because we are soulmates," Darius said, and then looked at Anastasios. "Right?"

"You will never get rid of me," Anastasios promised, and his mother tugged at his ear. 

"Be more romantic, son. Masking adoration with threats is not the way to win your soulmate's heart," Antoannete said, and both boys chuckled. 

"Dad, can I go to Orestria as well?" Prisila asked. "This year?" 

"Absolutely not," both her parents said. 

"But why not?" The vampire princess asked. Her bottom lip quivering. 

"At least one of our children has to have completed the Baskia Royal Academy, Prisi," her mother said in a soothing tone. "After you are done with the academy, then you can go to Orestria for the rest of your school career." 

"But by then, both Anastasios and Darius would have graduated. I want to go on adventures with them!" Prisila protested. Her brother looked guiltily at her. He was getting what he wanted, while his sister had to sit on the sidelines. 

"No means no," Octavian said sternly. Then, his face softened. "What if your soulmate waits for you in Baskia, Prisi? Would you wait two hundred years for him or her?" 

"What if he doesn't wait here, but in Orestria Academy?" Prisila bit back, but there was no venom in her voice. Just resignation. 

"Then you will wait until you have become eighteen, or thirty, and travel. Your brother won't get that chance. If Darius goes to Westermire, then they will be separated for years, and not months," Octavian told his daughter, who just sighed. 

"I won't get to grow up with my brother," she mumbled, and Anastasios took her hand in his. 

"I will always remember you, sis. And, when I get back all grown up, I will be able to take you out on adventures. Just the three of us," Anastasios said, knowing full well that, if he came back as a 206 years old, he would be trusted with his sister's wellbeing on excursions. 

"Just the three of us?" Darius asked, not daring to hope. 

"With you too, silly," Prisila told him, and then stood, went to him, and flicked his nose. "It will be a long month for me." 

"It will be even longer two hundred years for us," Anastasios assured her, and then stood as well. The three were in a group hug before long, and Antoannete nudged her husband. 

"Come now, must you separate them?" She asked, her eyes pleading silently with the man who was her soulmate, her heart, her happiness. 

"Well," Octavian wavered, as he took in the sight. "Don't you want to see at least one of the children grow up?"

"Look at them, Vian," the queen said, as she stared at the three. "Prisi will be so lonely in here without her brother." 

"Who is she going to use as a cover for pranks?" Octavian mused, and then sighed. "Fine, Prisi, you may also go to Orestria, although it will be tough, getting you there a year early." 

"Really?" Prisila exclaimed, and then rushed to her father. She hugged his legs, and he patted her on the back. "I will get the best marks, and will become world-renowned with the rapier." 

"You don't have to butter me up, I am letting you go. But remember, I want pictures. Your first day there, the welcoming ceremony, the first cafeteria lunch break, the first..." Octavian began to list, as the children broke down in giggles. 

"I want pictures too," Andiel said, looking pointedly at Darius. "I better get one for every day that you were there." 

"I will send you so many, that you will have to fill up my room with photo albums," Darius said, smiling cheekily. 

"I will hire storage space, if I have to. I guess I will have to connect you to the teleportation network, and get myself a speaking mirror," Andiel murmured to himself. This was going to set him back some, but seeing as the king was going to pay for the boarding school and all the expenses, he could afford it. "Once again thank you, for doing this for my son." 

At Andiel's words, Octavian just waved him off. 

"Meh, it was nothing. You are family now. There is precious little that I wouldn't do for my family. And that is a single thing, so, no worries," Octavian said. 

"What is that, dad?" Anastasios asked. Curious to know what his loving father would say no to doing for the family. 

"Abandon one of you for the sake of someone else, even if it is a family member. I will never do such a thing, and I hope that you won't, either," Octavian said, and then looked at Prisila next. "Or you, little lady." 

"You won't be able to call me that soon," Prisila said, poking out her tongue. "I will be 205 next time I come back from the Realms of the Forgotten Times." 

"While you are there listen to your instructors, brush your teeth, and do your medical check-ups," Antoannete said, and then stared at all of them in turn, until the children gave her nods. 

"Yes, mom," they chorused, and turned to Andiel next. 

"Have fun, don't do something that will cause a diplomatic incident," Andiel said with a chuckle. 

"Yes, dad," the children chorused again. 

"Do us proud," Octavian said, when the three looked to him next. 

"We will, dad," the three said, and Octavian could already feel pride blossoming in his chest, at their calm and collected expressions. 

11