Chapter 47: Printing set up
70 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 47: Printing set up

 Darius was before a dilemma. He could spend the entire day writing bounty jobs, or he could use the printing services of the publishing house of Brukleon, and have them churn them up.

 Sure, he was not yet fifteen, and so not considered an adult. Still, he was certain that Andiel would help. If he could get himself out of Alek's arms for even a little while, that is. 

Alek has been a constant fixture in their house since the picnic. He had dinner with them every night, and went home in the morning. Even his hygiene things were at the Loreth home. 

I wonder when he will move in the house for good? Is he waiting for me to leave for Orestria? I hope not. Dad is so happy these days. 

 It has only been a week, but Andy did things that he hadn't done until now. He hummed, when he made the breakfast. Each breakfast was more intricate than the last one.

 Just yesterday, Andiel had made banana bread with cinnamon for breakfast. When Alek commented that Andiel had made it as good as how the Fey's mother used to make it, Andiel had given the Fey a blinding smile, which had stayed on his face the entire day. 

Darius was glad that his father was happy. He just wanted for Alek to move in officially, so Andiel wouldn't have to stare at the door so often, waiting for the Fey to come home. 

Alek is fun, and a good papa. I don't care what Andy says. There is nothing feminine about the word papa. 

Darius nodded to himself, and took the wanted poster with himself. He went to the office, and saw his father with his ears in a headset, listening to a patient's breathing.

The demon boy waved, and the patient waved back. Darius didn't break the silence, and waited until Andiel had prescribed the herbal blend to the woman, and then he went to his father. 

"Dad, I need to go and hire the publishing house to print me wanted posters," Darius said, and then showed off the poster he had written. "I have everything done. I just need to land a contract in your name." 

"Oh, Dari. I can't. I have another patient coming in ten minutes," Andiel said, and Darius's shoulders slummed. 

"But I am heading to Orestria in two weeks," Darius protested. He had to set up everything before September 1st.  

"How about you go and ask Alek for help? He closes shop before I close the clinic," Andiel suggested, and Darius nodded. That could work. Alek was his business partner. They had a contract and the Fey represented his runes and all. 

"I'll be going then," Darius said, and then gave his father a one-armed hug. Andiel chuckled, and patted him on the back. The demon boy rolled up the poster, and rushed out of the house. He passed by the church, and noticed that there were no beggars around it. 

Orion was true to his word. With the minimum wage, people really got a second chance. 

Deciding to visit the Fey after he was done with the publishing house, Darius moved through the streets in a faster pace. Some people recognized him, and waved at him. Darius did his best to not let his tail wag. 

Just a couple of months ago, these people weren't smiling at me. Now, they are. 

Darius was happy with how his life turned out to be. When he reached the rune shop, he entered, and the bell announced his arrival. Alek was speaking with a client, so Darius waited by the table with the chairs to be called. Finally, a rune was exchanged for money, and Alek waved him over. 

"Well, if it isn't my favorite runesmith? I have to say, people want to buy only your runes. I am making so many sales for the cream rune, that the beauty companies might send a hitman after me," Alek joked, and Darius allowed himself a small smile. 

"When I go to the Realm of the Forgotten Times, time will pass slower there," Darius began, as he unrolled his wanted poster. "I will need daily deliveries of blood, to be able to do my quota for you." 

"And you can't spend your entire academic career writing wanted posters, I take it? Do you want that printed?" Alek asked, and Darius nodded. 

"Printed, with at least twenty copies to be hung in Orc's eye tavern," Darius said. Until he became a bounty hunter, and became capable of getting his own blood for the runes, he had to depend on others. 

"I can hire you an assistant. How much would you like to pay them? What gender do you prefer for the assistant?" Alek asked, taking out a notepad. 

"I want it to be someone who really needs the job," Darius said, and Alek wrote that down. 

"So, someone homeless?" The Fey asked, and Darius nodded. 

"With how much money I make, I can afford to pay ten silver coins per day, right?" Darius suggested. Ten silver coins were enough for someone to live the life of luxury for as long as Darius employed them. 

And I will employ my assistant for a very long time. Not just for the month that will last two-hundred years. 

"That is a bit too generous, but if that is what you wish, I won't stop you. So, ten silver coins, and no gender or age preferences?" Alek asked, and Darius bit his lower lip. 

"A child. Try for a homeless child," Darius said. He felt pity for the grown-ups that didn't have a job, but a child could do this job as easily as a grown up. He had been doing it for months. 

"Do you want to offer a place for your assistant to stay as well?" Alek asked, his pen to his notepad. 

"A room in Orc's eye, paid by me," Orc's eye might look rowdy, but people there knew Darius, and Tom was a kind demon. He was going to look after Darius's assistant. Of that, the demon boy had no doubts. 

"A room, ten silver coins, meals and clothes included?" Alek asked, and Darius nodded. This had been for what Darius had wished for, when he didn't dare to hope that he was ever going to be adopted. Back then, when he had been Beggar. 

9