ADAD Chapter 1: Welcoming ceremony
80 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

ADAD Chapter 1: Welcoming ceremony

 Orestria Academy towered over the landscape. Darius stared at the castle before him, trying his best to take in the gigantic white building. 

"It is said that it is made entirely of white granite," Anastasios murmured next to him, just as amazed. 

"Hey, you three, over here. Don't hold up the teleportation point," a woman called out to them, and the three walked towards her. When they reached her, she extended her hand. "Your badges, please." 

Darius pulled out his entrance permit badge from his pocket, and handed it over. He saw that Anastasios and Prisila had theirs on golden chains around their necks. The woman placed their badges into a scanner, and nodded in approval, when a green light came to life. 

"Well, everything is in order. Welcome to Orestria Academy, the best one in the world. You will spend the next two-hundred years in here, and I hope that what you learn here will stay with you for life," she said, and then pointed in the direction of a crowd of children. They were getting in carriages, which had Pegasuses pulling them. "Go there and find a carriage. The horses know where to take you." 

The three nodded, and headed towards the nearest carriage. They found a free one after a bit of waiting, and got on. The carriage took off in the air, and Darius stared underneath it with wonder in his eyes. 

"I have never flown before," the demon boy said, awestruck. 

"There are Pegasus riding classes on offer at the academy," Prisila told him. "Perhaps we can sign up for them?" 

"That sounds great," Darius said, and then looked at the castle before them. It took them half an hour to get to the landing spot. There were children already gathered there. The three stuck together, and got in the back of the crowd.

At least ten more carriages came after theirs, and then an Orc moved through the crowd, and got them to line up in two lines. Prisila had to go to the side of the girls, but Anastasios and Darius were next to each other. 

"Now, be quiet, children. Professor Gideon Handriel, the rogue instructor, is going to come and give the welcoming speech. When you see him, don't try to ask for his autograph," the Orc said, and Darius and Anastasios shared a look. 

"Is that the man who came in the shop while you were manning the counter?" Anastasios whispered.

"I can't remember his last name, but I think it was him, yes," Darius whispered back. "I guess he won the duel?" 

"Quiet in the back," the Orc barked, and the two boys smiled nervously. 

"We are sorry," they chorused, as the man huffed.  

A hush fell over the lines, as a man came from the castle. Darius smiled brightly. It was indeed the same Gideon that had come in the shop, although now he had a scar under his eye. The demon boy made a note to ask him how that had happened, seeing as the man had purchased an adamantine rune. 

"Welcome, kiddies," Gideon called out to the students. "You are here to fill your empty heads with so much knowledge, that they hurt." 

Groans followed that statement, and the elf chuckled. 

"Now, seriously. You have to do your parents proud. Some of you were send here on a scholarship, of which you can be really proud," a couple of boys before the two friends straightened up at that. "Not too proud, though. You were active and driven, and got the attention of the headmaster. That doesn't make your colleagues any less worthy of being here." 

Darius and Anastasios shared a smile, and then the elf continued on. 

"Now, as it is with many academies, the school has different houses, and a points system. You will be selected for the different houses by being tested on the spot. That means, that you won't have a house for the first week. Or classes," Gideon said, and the children cheered. He chuckled again, and shook his head. 

"Yes, well, you will want the classes to start in due time, they are very interesting," Gideon tried to talk them into cheering, but he got doubtful looks from the lines. "During your first week, your uniforms will be gray. After you get selected for your houses, they will be black with trims corresponding to the different houses. There are as many houses, as there are scholarly and fighting disciplines." 

At that, Darius bit his lower lip. 

I can barely fight. What if I get picked for the runesmithing house, and don't get access to fighting lessons?

Anastasios felt his friend's worry, and took a hold of his hand. He gave it a light squeeze, and Darius's shoulders relaxed, just a little. 

"Now, seeing as there will be two-hundred years' worth of schooling, you can switch houses every five years," Gideon said, and he heard a couple of relieved sighs. "That said, if you end up repeating a year at your current house, you will need to finish your five years there first, before jumping to the next house. There is also the opportunity of continuing in your current house for more than five years, to reach mastery level. But be warned: once you try for mastery, you will need to spend one-hundred years of your schooling in your house." 

Gasps were heard then, and Gideon just shook his head. 

"Quite the commitment, I know. But think of it that way: a mastery is worth a degree in any world. Do you want to be jack of all trades, or master of at least two?" 

Anastasios looked at Darius, whose eyes were wide. Yet, the vampire didn't dare to speak now, and interrupt the instructor. 

"Now, you might be tired and hungry. Teleportation is a tiresome job. Follow me to the main hall. The new students have their welcoming feast in the main hall, and eat there for the duration of their sorting. But once you get in a house, you will eat in your house's hall," Gideon then turned around, and the children followed him. 

9