ADAD Chapter 33: Seeing things on the bright side
111 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

ADAD Chapter 33: Seeing things on the bright side

 Darius spent his days making runes. No one bothered him during the day, and the years flew by him. He was allowed to move in with Anastasios, as the vampire's roommate had gone out in the world, to catalog plants some fifty years ago.

All this time, Darius just kept his head bowed. He didn't want to be cooped up, but he knew that something might happen to his friends, if he didn't cooperate. 

On this bright morning, his two-hundred-years were finally done. He was wearing the Orestria academy uniform for the last time. He looked at himself in the mirror. His hair was long now, going pass his neck. Seeing as his dream of being a bounty hunter was over with, he didn't see why he should cut it short. 

Tying it in a ponytail, he straightened up, and walked out of the room. Not many knew why he had taken so much time in inventing runes, and had taken only the common classes for the past fifty years. For all the demon community demanded obedience from him, they also wanted to keep him in an illusion of a free life. 

Anastasios was already waiting in the big lecture hall, where the diplomas were going to be given out. Darius had taken more private Charisma classes, in the past fifty years. So many, that the headmaster had allowed him to take the mastery test. The demon allowed himself a slight smile, when he looked at Anastasios. 

"Three masteries. We really milked this academy for all it was worth," Darius said, his tail wrapping around Anastasios's middle. 

"I am a bit envious. With all the runes you made during the past fifty years alone, everyone knows who you are," Anastasios pointed at the camera crews, which were sitting on the side. "I heard them saying your name." 

That was precisely on what Darius was counting. His plan was simple, and he had all the confidence in the world, that it was going to work. 

"Our names will be known as the best bounty hunter. By the end of our career, you will have so many realms to your name, that you will be able to start an empire," Darius teased, and he leaned in to kiss Anastasios's nose. The vampire chuckled, and snuggled into the demon. 

Headmaster Piers came to the stage, and began to call out names. When it was Darius's turn, he stood from his seat, and then walked to the podium. All the while, he did his breathing exercise, and poured mana into his vocal cords. It was now or never. If this new rune didn't pull through, then he was looking to a life of slavery. 

"Runesmith Loreth, it was my pleasure to see you grow in this academy. Now, if you would be so kind to say a couple of words for your fellow students, and for all that are watching from their homes?" The headmaster handed the microphone to Darius, who smiled brightly. 

"My name is Darius Loreth, and my dream is to become a bounty hunter," Darius began, and a hush fell through the crowd. Darius could see a couple of demons bristling at that, but he got everyone's attention. Activating the rune on his throat, he continued. "Runesmithing is something I will continue, but, as someone who has the right to free will, I will not spend my life doing just that. During my time as an Orestria student, I got to get a feel for much and more. For the first fifty years of my life outside the academy, I will go back to Fairstar, and visit Baskia often. If anyone needs blood that has the same effect as mine, contact Mustafa Al'rishad. The ruler of the realm of Gorgon. He would be more than happy to provide you with some. That is my decision, and I will stand by it." 

Darius gave back the microphone, and then looked around. Everyone was as if in a trance. The mind controlling rune was something he devised by himself, after many sleepless nights. Not even Anastasios knew about it. No one protested, when Darius took his diploma, and went back to his seat. 

"Neat speech," Harvey said from behind him. 

"I hope it has the desired effect," Darius said, and then the ceremony continued. 

The graduates left for their homes after the party, and Darius was no exception. He didn't like the fact that he had to be separated from Anastasios, but he liked the fact that he could see his family again. What did it matter that his birth parents had been criminals? They had paid with their lives. 

Darius had done some research on them, and saw that they had been hunted down by bounty hunters. As far as he was concerned, their sins were paid for. When Darius knocked on Andiel's door, it was Rey who answered. 

"Big brother Dari. Wow, you grew up," Rey was looking up, craning his neck, to see Darius's face better. 

"Hey, pipsqueak," Darius greeted, and ruffled the Fey's hair affectionately. "Where are Andy and Alek?"

"In the kitchen. Putting the finishing decorations on the cake," Rey said, and that was all that Darius needed to scoop him up, and head in the direction of the kitchen. The cake was massive, and Darius wondered how they were going to eat it all. 

"Dari?" Andiel turned around, and took a good look at his son. His smile became blinding, when Darius made his tail wag behind him. Andiel chuckled then. "You are the same as back then." 

Darius gave his father a cheeky grin, and placed Rey down. 

"Are we waiting for guests?" Darius asked. 

"Orion and Baliel are coming over," Alek said, as he finished making the snowman on the cake. "They want you to meet their kid." 

"They adopted?" Darius asked, feeling a warmth in his chest. Baliel and Orion had been the first people he had gotten together. 

"A small feline shifter," Andiel said, and then chuckled. "You should see him. His hair stands up every time he uses mana." 

"Yes, he is as adorable as you were, back when you were tiny," Alek agreed. 

Darius felt a lump in his throat. This could have been his life, had he not gone to Orestria. Family friends, a brother close to his age, two loving parents to dote on him. 

"I will make it up to you all," Darius began, feeling tears well up in his eyes. "For my absence, I mean." 

"You came back, that is all that matters," Andiel said, and then went and hugged Darius. The demon held the elf for a whole minute, and then let him go. When Andiel took a look on Darius's face next, the worry that had been there before was gone. 

The end.

5