Chapter 24 – Plaything **
3.4k 10 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My swing didn’t connect but harmlessly waved in front of me. I was no longer inside the house but stood in the yard with several camera men filming my confused appearance. It was no longer raining. In fact, it didn’t look like it rained at all. I also wasn’t injured. And not that I noticed yet, my clothes were still intact without any holes or blood. Janet’s message was a simple, “I’m sorry”. I stood there like a fool as I listened to her breathy voice caress my ear and clenched my fist in anger.

I didn’t notice the show’s commentator at first. But when I finally did his handsome face gave me a beauty crit. And while I did find men to be attractive, it wasn’t to the point where I’d turn into a little nympho, like my friends when watching their idols. Still, I had to admit he was a cut above the rest. It was a shame that, according to Janet, he only dated long legged models.

He was standing between the two fat camera men, like a rose growing out of the weeds. His sensual voice broke me out of my stupor. “Well played, you showed courage, wit, and loyalty to your friend when she was in danger. She is very lucky to have you as a friend.”

“Oh, I doubt she’ll feel lucky when I see her again,” I muttered. My nails had made indents on my palm as I clenched my fists. He gave me a puzzled look, but I didn’t think he heard me because he didn’t ask about it.

I let go of my last spell as he smiled again, his pearly whites flashing in the night. “Why don’t you relax over here and you can watch the show or relax.” He gestured to a canopy the show crew had set up and I saw one of the boys sitting on a chair looking dejected as the crew moved a snack table. The happy crew drew a stark contrast to his gloomy appearance.

He walked me over like a gentleman and leaned in close to ask me one last question, as if asking a big secret. “Can I ask, why didn’t you run? It was obvious that you were outnumbered and outclassed.”

I gave a soft snort before saying, “And what? Leave my friend? Even if I could do that, the only room I thought was safe led to the most danger. Without an exit or allies, I would have been a fish on the chopping block. Besides, I doubt anybody would leave their friend behind just to save themselves.” I saw the gloomy boy jerk when I said the last part and figured I was wrong about people running. Still, I couldn’t blame him for trying to save himself.

A woman in professional attire walked over as I finished answering and took me into the tent with the boy. As she did, I saw another canopy tent on the far side of the house with half a dozen mages standing or sitting in front of dozens of screens. But it was a brief glance and I failed to make out what they were doing. The boy looked up as I came in and I noticed it was one of the boys that had been assigned to Aife. I still didn’t know his name, but he looked down as soon as we made eye contact making it impossible for me to ask.

There were several screens placed around the room so I could see what was going on inside the house. So, I watched Aife shake her hand and her twisted broken fingers snapped back into place. “I didn’t expect that girl to be so strong. If I didn’t have ‘Guardian’ up she would have broken my neck with that punch. Not bad, not bad at all.”

“Like I said before, she is a rare treasure. Her use of so many types of spells indicate she is part of the top twenty percent, possibly higher.” The Ice King added while Mary and Aefi nodded in agreement.

Janet stood next to Pam and was rubbing her hip. I must have used too much force when I pulled her free. Or maybe she hit the wall when I threw her. I wasn’t sure. They both stood behind the main actors like a backdrop. The Ice King seemed to listen to something I couldn’t hear and then said, “They are bringing Alice in, get ready.”

The Ice King, Aife, and Mary all stood in the same place, but Janet and Pam switched spots. A screen nearby showed Alice following a silver ball of goo. It rapidly slid down the hall with her trying to catch up. As she got close to the music room, the lights flickered and went out. And like when I was there, the same piano score began to play. It was just that the slimy silver sludge led her here instead of her coming on her own. But I didn’t know what it was or why she followed it.

The rest followed the same script with her being finally being “killed”. It was very one sided, like an adult slapping a toddler, but she didn’t run. Instead, she tried jumping into the well to free Pam. But the Ice king just shook his head before cocooning her inside the water she jumped into. I glanced at the different screens as Alice, Pam and Janet were being interviewed by the host. I saw Rodriguez on one of the TVs. He nodded to the air, looked at his sleeping friend, and then laid down on the floor as the little girl ghost began to manifest above him.

Her form whispered, “Are you ready?” and with another nod, Rodriguez screamed before she even moved into place. The ghost quickly lowered into place as his friend jumped out of bed and got into a fighting pose. She looked at the boy and with an evil grin, spitefully said, “You’re too late” before sinking into the floor with Rodriguez. After that the dolls attacked his friend and I finally knew where the slimy silver came from. Unlike me, he noticed it and followed it to the final battle. It was just that his battle was lack-luster. When he saw his friend, he didn’t even try to fight but tried to slink away quietly. His ending was quick but brutal.

Watching the screens, it quickly became apparent that the “child protection” act did not exist in this world. I also noticed that no matter what happened outside a room, no noise could be heard by those inside. This was best shown when the thirteen-year-old’s sister got “taken”. He had run out of the room screaming her name, but nobody noticed his shrill voice. Even so, he did his best to save her. He had a spell that made him bouncy and used it to spring around the room trying to down his opponents. It was obvious that they were taking it easier on him compared to Alice and myself, and it took a while for him to be neutralized and sent out.

Interested in what was going on, I grabbed some food off the snack table and watched the different screens. One of the kids either suspected or got tipped off that it was all fake. His acting skills weren’t up to fooling anybody. Frowning, Mary waved her hand and sent him out without a word. But most seemed to not know it wasn’t real until they appeared on the lawn. Perhaps it was common because unlike me, nobody was angry or surprised that it was all a prank.

After everybody was sent out it was close to seven in the morning, and we were all disheveled from our fights. Only two of us didn't have dark circles under our eyes from lack of sleep. As the host walked over, this became more apparent. It was because he was dust free and in wrinkle free clothing. He stood in the middle of our group to give his farewell monologue before we were taken back to our homes. During the trip, I didn’t talk to Janet and quickly left the van. Knowing violence was probably normal here, I was trying not to be angry but being fooled and used by somebody that claimed to be my friend left me feeling bitter.

***

~ Two days prior, Friday night ~

24