Chapter 30 – Affected (part 2)
1.1k 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After being neglectful for the last three days, I finally ran to school. Bethany and Hanna were standing by the entrance to the gym. Bethany's hair was like a crow’s nest, and she had a look on her face that shouted, 'the world had done me wrong'. She kept yawning as Hanna, between taking bites of a breakfast sandwich and ignoring the fact that Bethany wasn't listening, chatted happily with her.

Once I got there, we didn’t waste much time talking and started practicing our routine as soon as we could. Thankfully, it went smoother this time around and none of us messed up very often. Hot and sweaty, we walked into the showers, but I noticed some of the girls gave me strange looks. It had been happening ever since Victoria and I had started holding hands. While Janet hadn’t told me, I knew there was talk about me being a lesbian.

While being one wasn’t unheard of, most girls only slept with other girls when their boyfriends requested it. At least, that’s what Victoria told me. It was very similar to the late nineties of my world, when being gay was starting to become more common. But being one in this world wasn’t accepted by most. It was why Victoria was so flustered about it. And like anything beyond the normal, gossip about us spread through the school and we both received a form of silent prosecution, as if by being near us would turn them gay. I knew it hurt Victoria but other than comforting her, there wasn’t much I could do.

That wasn’t the only thing being said about me. I kept hearing the rumor that I was a slut that would sleep with anybody for money and was pretty sure that somebody was deliberately trying to destroy my reputation, because it spread too fast. It was all over the school and I have been approached twice so far. My would-be suitor was my first choice on who was spreading it. It was just that whenever he sees me in the hallways, he always turns and quickly goes another way. He gave off a “I’m terrified of you” vibe. I didn’t know why he acted that way, but it made me doubt it was him.

It was frustrating and because I couldn't figure out how to solve the issue, I buried my head into books. My main focus was on understanding the spells I had. It was because one thing was true in both worlds, without strength it was hard to get justice. For now, I didn't know, but that didn't mean I wouldn’t figure it out, and these spells would help me to exact justice. Plus, I still had to deal with those assholes with the multicolored hair. Slightly obsessed, it became common to see me staring off into space, then a book, and then back into space as I referenced my spells to gain better understanding.

But there were still things I had to do, like the dance competition and class assignments. For the dance competition, Ms. Mirth and those not competing sat around the edge of the gym room while those dancing started in the center of the room. With paper and pencil in hand, those not dancing rated those that were. We were the third to go and started ours with a roll of the hips and then we spun away, then back. With a mixture of gymnastics and sensual dance moves, we twirled around each other only to break away at key points. Like most of the dances the girls did, ours emphasize our assets while trying to look artistic.

We used the song 'Baddest of Them All' so we threw in some power poses. It wasn't a song I was familiar with, and only heard it when we practiced, so I was singing it softly. I had linked the song with when and where I needed to move because for me, it made it easier. I knew I was losing us points due to my facial movements but because it was a new song, I was afraid people would make noise and mess me up.

As we ended, I felt that unlocking sensation and my wish to be stronger popped into my head. Then I felt something draining from me rapidly. My magic gushed out of me, like a balloon that got pricked by a needle. A wave of invisible force shot out, into the students, the teacher and finally the walls. The defensive cubes set into them activated, growing brightly, then with bang, bang, bang that exploded like firecrackers. The only people standing were Hanna, Bethany, and myself. Everybody else was either sitting or lying against the walls, with shock on their faces. What the hell?

A commotion broke out after a second passed and people processed what had just happened. It only got stranger as people tried picking themselves up. I watched as thin armed girls ripped tiny hand sized chunks out of the walls with their tiny, fragile looking fingers. Soon the girls were standing still, too afraid to touch anything. The walls and floor had gouges from where they used too much force. It was because everybody in the room had their strength increase to a ridiculous level, except for my group.

A couple of minutes later an older nurse ran into the room. She was holding a black velvet bag and bulged irregularly from whatever was stuffed inside. The nurse's face was flushed. Her chest was rising and falling as she tried to catch her breath as Ms. Mirth walked over and held out her hand as she said, "Can you place one in my hand? I'm afraid I'll break it."

The nurse opened the bag, reached in, and placed a clear crystal into Ms. Mirth’s hand. And… much to my disappointment, nothing visibly happened. But a relieved look appeared before she ordered, "Okay, give one to each student." She then pointed at our group and continued, "You three, come with me." She took us into the locker room’s office. It wasn't big and while we fit inside it felt tight. "Which one of you unleashed magic?"

She looked at us, Hanna looked, Bethany looked, and I stood there looking guilty. Her question had sent me into a downward spiral. The thought of having to pay for damages left me in fear. Even if I ignored the damage the girls did to the walls and floor, those magic gathering squares couldn't be cheap. Neither my mom nor I could afford it. I looked at my feet as I tried to think of how I could get money quickly, but just like the last world, money isn't easy to come by. As a kid, I was even more restricted in what I could do.

I glanced at Ms. Mirth as she said, "You two can go get changed and wait for class to end. I need to talk with Stephanie." I gathered a little courage, because she didn't sound angry, and looked up. "I have to ask this. Did you release magic during class?"

I hesitated but finally nodded. She didn't say anything but started looking through a couple of pages on the desk, until she found what she was looking for.  When she found it, she asked a question. "Do you know what happened?" and when I shook my head she continued, "I didn't think you did. You had a ‘what the hell is going on’ look during it. I'm going to explain something not covered in high school. As you know, 'Harmonic Spell Casting' teaches students how to harness a group of people’s magic and unleash it all at once. Certain dances will help casters to amplify their magic. We don't teach it because without an accumulation of power and dance skills, ninety-nine percent of the population can't generate much of a bonus. I'm telling you this, so you know why I'm transferring you to another class. Our school isn't equipped to handle your ability and lacks the funds to remodel a room for one person. You would affect everybody as we continue to study group dancing."

Her explanation made sense and I couldn't fault her, so I asked, "What class?" I didn't want to go back to the taekwondo class.

She held the paper from the desk and said, "Badminton."

I sighed in relief. It wasn't the class I wanted, but it was better than going back. I was going to ask if I had to pay for anything, but if she didn't say anything, I wasn't going to. I just listened as she entered my transfer, gave me yet another new schedule, and sent me away. Gym just wasn't my class. At least, I knew what that "unlocking" feeling was. That must be why the music videos I've seen in this world all had dancers in them. Interesting, maybe I could be a singer in this world. I had the power, but to be completely honest, I lacked skills. While the old Stephanie had some basic training, I'd have to get more if I really wanted to go that route and that took money.

***

“So, you destroyed the gym?”

“It wasn’t me.” I denied it quickly. My head shook like a rattle as we walked down the stairs. Everybody in the upstairs gym knew about what happened. How could they not? Once the girls came in to change, they told their friends, their friends told others and so on.

“Uh-huh, somehow I don’t believe you.” Victoria had a big smile on her face and was doing her best not to laugh at my plight. She jiggled a little more as she shook with suppressed mirth.

She wasn’t the only one that found it funny, Ann chimed in, “You made a room fool of King-Kong barbies. The look on their faces… ha, ha, ha.” She didn’t hold back and laughed so hard she snorted.

Janet was the only one taking it seriously, and asked, “So they moved you to another class again?” I latched onto her question and while we walked to our next classes, I explained what happened.

As we parted, I told Victoria that I was going to run home, but I’d come over after dinner. It was a little lie. I planned on using ‘Shadow Walk’ to try and track those misfits after school. Because of cheer leading, I could only do it on Mondays and Fridays, so I didn’t want to lose the chance. And that’s what I did. After the last class, I ran out of school and kept going until I found a shadow big enough to start shadow hopping.

Like clockwork they passed me. I was waiting at the first intersection, but after the second they turned and before I could cast again, they were too far for me to keep up.  I kept to the shadows, watched them drive away, and without any hesitation, I turned and ran home.

22