2-14: Nathers
118 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Terra

I awoke to the sound of snickering from Ulther, as he stood above us. I untangled from Hayli, and stood up, brushing myself off. Hayli followed suit, nearly bending over backwards to stretch her back.

"I thought I said to stay on the path, Terra."

"Sorry." I replied looking away from him. 

"Yes, my girlfriend wanted to cuddle. You really need some places to sit on that path." Hayli said, flattening her hair down with a little stream of water from the lake.

"Not that many people use it. Now, come on. The chef isn't going to keep food warm forever."

"What's she serving you this time?" I ask.

"Well, she got some venison, so we actually have meat for a bit."

"Do you not usually have meat?" Hayli asks.

"Nathers is a vegetarian and our farms are just vegetables around here." I explain. "And the applies to the people who work for her here as long as they're on her estate."

"Venison is the only meat she ever lets us have." Ulther added.

Hayli frowned, "Not even fish?" 

I shook my head, "Sorry, no."

"Aw." Hayli pouted. I patted her head. 

"Enough dillydallying, come on." 

We made our way back to the estate, going in a back door that led directly to the kitchen where the chef pointed us to a few prepared bowls of stew which we took and moved to some stumps outside to eat. It was filling but I wouldn't venture to even lie about it being tasty. 

Hayli leaned on me and yawned. "Ulther. May we perhaps walk around inside the mansion?"

"Fine. I know that Terra will find a way to sneak in if I say no. Stay to the first floor, please."

Hayli nodded and slurped down the rest of her stew and handed our bowls to my older brother and dragged me towards the front door. Ulther followed, telling his subordinates to let us in and reiterating to keep an eye on us. Really, I wasn't that untrustworthy. I meant I was an adult; I wasn't as bad as I was even a year ago.

Hayli walked in first looking up at the ceiling, raising far above the second floor and even attic. The candles on the chandelier were unlit, the sunlight that filtered in from the many large pane windows giving enough light for now. I motioned her off the center patth, towards the rooms where Nathers kept paintings and artifacts she stole and bought in equal measure from across the continent. Nothing to impressive, seeing as she was not the richest duchess in the world. 

Hayli seemed more interested in them than Vern, Fredericka or I had ever been, except to mock the dress of some of the people in the paintings. She pointed at some and mentioned how I’d look good in them- I responded that my chest was too big for most of them. That didn’t seem to stop Hayli. Eventually, a voice spoke behind us. 

"Odd. I do not remember having guests called over. Who may you be."

I turned around and looked up at the Duchess, still a pile of makeup, but without the wig she usually wore. "W-Well. I'm, uh, Ulther's cousin, Terra and this is my girlfriend, Faiche." I explain.

"My captain's cousin? Well, she seems to have better taste in companion than you."

I heard Ulther let out a breath through his teeth. "I am sorry for not telling you, but last time a relative of mine showed up you weren't expecting you kicked them out."

"Your youngest brother, right? Not my fault you didn't bathe the boy beforehand." She turned back to us. "Faiche, was it? I think I've heard that name. Were you perhaps in Otterburgh?"

"Why are you asking, my lady?" Hayli asked.

"Oh, one of my men there mentioned that there was a winner at one of the tournaments named Faiche." 

"Well, yes. I did win."

"Well, I also hear that the Farnsworth fellow disappeared and one of the last people he was with was a lady named Faiche who disappeared."

"He showed us a hole and left. If you're trying to insinuate anything else, I must say I am offended."

"Oh, I would not care if you had any hand in that man's disappearance or death. I'd perhaps congratulate you if it bloody well did anything. They're still holding the matches. Apparently, he named the mayor's daughter his heir and she's continuing that worthless spectacle."

I glanced over at Hayli who gave me the same look. "Duchess, is this heir named Khione?"

"Yes. Do you know her?"

"Oh, not personally. She did work for a hotel we stayed at is all."

The duchess eyed us over, "Hmm. Well, that heir is coming here on the Twin's Day. I would rather want some on my side to dine with us. Perhaps you would join us, Faiche? You and your lady of course.

"Well, I would be glad to. Terra, dear?"

"Yes. And worry not, I at least am used to dining with you. Your type, excuse me."

"I am used to dining with the upper crust as well, dear."

"Excellent. A firsthand witness will surely help my case. I will see you then. And Ulther, be glad that I do not knock your pay for not warning me." She said before leaving with my older brother.

"You are taking me on a proper date before Twin's Day. I don't want a dinner with a royal to be our first proper date."

"Oh, so this isn't a proper date?"

"No."

"And what exactly is a proper date?"

"Is there a theater nearby?"

"Of course, you would pick that. Yes, a town down there is one. Not really to the standard you expect."

"You know my standards?"

"I know a lot about you." I smiled.

"So, tomorrow then?"

"Fine. I'll see if Callie can get us a discount. She's friends with the matron there. Well, Emily and her daughter are something and they are by result friendly to each other."

"Something?"

"Well, she was her bully for a while, then a rival and before I left, they were apparently planning to be a musical duo."

"Your niece sounds like her life is quite exciting for seven-year-old."

"Eight-year-old." I corrected.

"Well, whatever her age is, I hope Caela is doing well with them."

"She can't do too bad."

"I meant more is she being overrun."

"Well, Caela does strike me as one that would be able to corral one kid, but two?"

"Well, she needs to learn, since most days she'll be the babysitter. Here today, date tomorrow, and the dinner on Twin's Day. One day where we might help."

"Yes, I'll show her how to properly deal with my niece and nephew." I replied.

"How much longer does your brother's shift take?"

"Nine hours. It's a long shift tonight since tomorrow's his day off. Which means helping at the store with Callie, sadly for Caela."

"Is there a bed we could rest in?"

"Hold on." I ran out the room and into the tearoom where the duchess was sipping on that eponymous hot liquid.

"May I help you?"

"Well. My other cousin Vern mentioned he had a room and well, I think a nap would pass time while myself and Hayli wait for Ulther to be finished."

"That is fine. Vern's room is being refurbished and his traitor brother's is being rebuilt, but his replacement shield has a room with a nice bed. Here's her key. Don't touch too much of her stuff and do try and not make a mess if you do more than sleep."

"Of course. Thank you. Do, you have a copy of a key for every bedroom?"

"Yes. Of course, it is my house. Now let me be."

I curtsied and returned to Hayli. "Got us a room."

"Really?"

"Yep. Fredericka's room."

"The one with the crush on the twink? Always wanted to see a serial killer's room." 

"It's not that weird."

"Oh, you've been in it. A girl's room before me?"

"Yes. Even slept in the same bed."

"No wonder you were fine sleeping with me at the hotel."

"No, that's... eh, I'll wait until I can see if your father can correct things."

"Okay. Lead the way, Terr-Terr." She said, grabbing my hand.

I nodded, "Of course, darling." 

7