2-25: Drinking
55 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Caela

I was awoken by the horrid voices of those three, teasing me about how I snore in my sleep. It’s not my fault I sound so funny when I do, those meanies. Er, where was I- right. After waking up I groggily greeted them with a simple hello and a slight glare.

"Rather rude way to greet a compatriot, Caela." Dryalia responded, in all her purple purpleness. 

"I just woke up."

"No excuse. Ah, Hayli, why did you not mention you were Lord Swyr's child when last we met? I would have flirted with you more."

Hayli scowled, "Okay? You do know I have a girlfriend, right?"

Vea smiled, "Is it that human?"

"Her name is Terra and yes."

"Hmm, a waste for someone who is as beautiful as you to be with such a boring person."

Astai cocked her head, "I don't know if negging her partner is gonna help you Vea. Besides, you want the Princess to hear you badmouthing her friend?"

"Right, fine." Vea frowned.

Dryalia laughed, "Ignore her, she thinks the human is interesting actually, since they're allowed to take the Lord Trial."

"The Queen told you?" I asked.

"No, Quaza. She seemed almost like she was bragging."

"She probably was. No scratch that, she definitely was. It is Quaza we are talking about."

"I mean owning the daughter of the last Lord and a human who's allowed to take the trial is something I'd brag about as well."

"Can you not say it like that." Hayli complained.

"Yeah Dry, she's not a bottom."

"Anyone can bottom if you give them the right top."

"Can we focus." I clap my hands, "I know this is a friendly meet-up before you three go back treasure hunting but can you cool it down a little bit."

"Aww, Cae's blushing" Vea said.

"Fine. Besides, I suppose we should get some supper. Faerick's sound good, bestie?"

"Please don't call me bestie."

Astai patted my back. "Sure bestie."

I grumbled and helped Hayli up before walking out of the room behind them. Hayli quickly took lead and I was surrounded by my fellow original lord candidates and also my childhood schoolmates. 

"So, Caela. Any partners yet." Dryalia asked.

"No." The air was crisp this evening, the scent of the vamoila blooms were even detectable beneath the filthy odor of the city ahead of us.

"Anyone you fancy among your lot?"

I tried to answer negatively but my stumble gave it away. The trio exchanged concerning grins. I shuddered a bit.

"Oh dear, Dry, I think it's time to eliminate some suspects."

"Of course, Astai. Now, to be certain it isn't the princess?"

"Quaza? No."

"Didn't think so. Not like you'd have a chance with her."

"Wow, rude."

"Realistic darling."

I scoffed, "I can make anyone like me."

"And there's the Salvear ego." Vea stated.

I glared at her as we entered into the city edges.

"Perhaps it's Nox."

"Not." I rolled my eyes. "I do not have a crush on that Thornell."

"Then Hayli?"

"She's cute but, no."

"You realize you just gave us the answer, right?"

"No? I never said I liked anyone."

"You just said you didn't have a crush on that Thornell."

"No I..." I grew red. Had I really just said my thoughts aloud, what was wrong with me.

"So, the human. She is quite popular." Dryalia remarked.

"Wait, Nox is her sister?"

"I mean she does look like the hero in the file portraits."

I groaned and when I saw Hayli open a door, I ran ahead to make sure we had two table to make my teasing harder to do.

We ate and chatted a bit, mostly asking the girls about the city and how it was doing. Mostly well the replied, a bit spooked by the betrayal, and the border apparently was full of missionaries trying to convert the human populace to not just be chill and turn on the demons. It wasn't going well for the church as far as anyone could tell. I mean obviously, humans can't argue or persuade at all.

"So, are you sure Honi wants the demons around here as an army?" Astai asked.

"Why?" Hayli replied bread full of mouth. Sorry, mouth full of bread.

"It's just that, well, between you and me and all of us actually, the citizens here aren't very in shape."

"They seem fine to me."

"The air quality sucks so they have the stamina of a geriatric old man."

"Is that bad?"

"Obviously. Honestly surprised Caela can run a mile." Vea stated.

"Hey, fuck off, second place." I glared at her.

She rolled her eyes, "I see transition hasn't made you less abrasive."

"And I see getting double teamed hasn't made you not annoying."

She scoffed at me, "Fine." And moved back to the conversations with the others.

I stared at my drink thinking. I wondered how the others were doing. I tried to move my mind towards Quaza or Nox or even Nana and Zurah, but it went back to Terra every time. Terra. I hate Terra, I want Terra. I hate that a simple crush in someone I barely met for a day affected me so much. I want her to be my friend, but my own brain won't let me think of her as that. But it wasn't like I had a choice. I mean, who wouldn't like her like that. Ugh, I feel like Hayli would kill me if she heard my thoughts. No, that was a bad thought as well. Hayli was my friend... right? I mean, she's the one who shared the writings with me, and that helped me remember my feelings better. I mean, Terra was cute to me yes, and I had somehow figured out she was the girl from memories, but still...

I excused myself and told them I was retiring to the castle and was taking my usual room. The others seemed to barely acknowledge me as I left. It was dark, and there was a slight chill in the air. I picked up my pace, feeling uneasy. I hated the city at night, and I hated it especially alone. I couldn't turn around though and walk back in after saying goodbye, so I trudged ahead trying to ignore the fantasies in my head. I made it back safe, and instead of retiring to the bedroom, I made my way to the kitchen, corking open a bottle of wine, and went to sit in the fireplace room.

I seated myself cross-legged on the floor and started to pour into a chalice, not dissimilar to the ones the now former Hero and Shield had used in the blood ritual. The wine was a bit young, but I needed the drink. It was not a half hour past till the bottle was empty. I sighed and stood up back to the kitchen. I really wished there were servants on hand, but I guess they had assumed we'd all be out still and were getting rest. Whatever.

I grabbed a pair of whites from a dusty corner, hoping they had aged more and began to make my way back when I heard a creak from ahead. I froze, squinting for a good while ahead of me. Eventually I sighed and determined it was just the house settling or something (Can castles settle?) and began walking again. I swore though I could hear a second footstep every time mine fell, but the castle corridors were so echoey that it was probably that, the wine and my tiredness. I had not slept well on the train.

I sat down again and looked into the fireplace, and flicked a tiny spark towards it so it lit up. That was better. I relaxed and poured the first bottle into the chalice. 

"Hey. Do you think, Terra would say yes to my confession if she had never met Hayli again?"

The flames did not answer. 

"Yeah, I really should just ask her out and get rejected. Pining like this is bad. Maybe once I do, I can be their friends."

The flames crackled.

I continued to chat aloud to the flames and douse the fire in myself with drink until finally it all went dark and silent.

2