Terra Interlude 1: Betrayal of the Dragon I
129 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Editor's Note: Terra, in her continued wisdom forgot to write down her journey to the trials or what they even were. Also, thanks to some mistakes I will take responsibility for, some chapters from Quaza were lost in the stomach of my dog. Do not laugh. As such I have moved Terra's Three Trial chapters into their places as interludes and split them up as they were too long even for Terra's inability to stop a chapter. As for the trials, it's just seeing your life in three separate worlds split by a single change and just well going until the tester is satisfied, whether that means just going for the ride, or changing from the path the "you" in the world was like depends on the world and the test- ah, but any more would be spoilers, so. Enjoy.]

I came to existence at a very awkward time. I was glad the me from this place was blocking, though that's all I appreciated. I mean, it was clear she had tried to transition but I guess she never got her potion. The body felt off, but it wasn't bad enough that I couldn't block a few sword swings coming my way. Beside me a strange demon lady and another human I didn't recognize were fighting against two humans. They glanced over at me and yelled:

"Heart. A little help."

So that was the name I chose. Hm. Felt familiar. Had I heard it before? What an odd thought. Even if I did, I had friends of this me to save. Their names came to, Deadh (It was not pronounced Dead-eh or Dave, more like De-ah-vee) and Vaie. Memories of separation, being sent to the north on accident, and someone replacing me danced at my minds edge. Not now, I was in a fight. I could let that wait for later. I joined this me's comrades in their battle and with three heads working as one the room was soon emptied of other lives. I felt weirdly calm, despite taking so many lives. Was this me, used to this? 

Vaie grabbed her demon partner and swore, "Nice going great at stealth."

"I'm sorry but this place is a hellzone. No way we weren't gonna run into fighting eventually."

The memories were slow to come in. I really needed to know what was going on. I feigned a bit of a head injury and asked, "Hey, I kinda hit my head in that fight, I need to make sure I'm okay, remind me what we're doing here?"

Deadh looked at me a bit confused, "Trying to get your currently ex-girlfriend back from her psycho demon lord father's control before her tries to do anything with the twins."

Well, that was not helpful. Ex-girlfriend... had Hayli and I broke up? Was that the difference? No, then I'd still be Terra. Not Heart. I sighed feeling a weird emptiness as my chest didn't jiggle. I had forgotten how flat I had been. Well, whatever. I guessed that beat this world's Swyr was the test for this trial. Seemed basic enough. At least I had some friends to fight with me. And if my intuition was right, there would be Heroes who would probably join in as long as the Lord was alive. Still. If this Swyr had my world's Swyr's magic... I shook my head. Worry about all that later, Heart. 

My head throbbed a little. What was it the old man had said before I entered this one? To let myself be free? Well, I supposed that meant not to act like the me in this world would exactly. 

"Yep. That was kinda mean though." I complained.

"I mean, she did continue to be with that clone of you even though she found out he wasn't you." Vaie replied.

"I mean she does think Heart is dead." Deadh stretched and began looking for something.

I nodded, "Plus, I'm not really Earth now."

"Right, does she even like girls?" Vaie asked.

"If she was smart, she would." Deadh said winking at her human partner.

"Not to hurry us along but should we get going?"

"Not really much point until we find a key to get to the throne room. We had one but some Shield fucked up and let her brother steal it."

Oh, Vern was alive here at least. That did sound like him to steal from me. "Hey I said sorry." 

"No, you didn't, you said 'woops, that went poorly' and then convinced us to rob a castle in the middle of a battle."

Oh, this me hadn't? "Well, I thought it." I pouted a little. I had a feeling this me was a bit more of a brat than even me.

"Look I know your worried about your friends, but please. As an Augur you need to be careful. We don't need the Lord getting the Twins to do as he says."

Augur. There was that word again. Even here. "I will. I will. Now come on, we don't want to let the others have the kill on Swyr, right?"

Vaie laughed, "Right. And guess who just found the classic hidden passage behind a bookshelf?" 

The human was standing with a wide grin on her face next to a stone wall with a now knocked over and busted bookshelf in front of it. Where the shelf had likely been, a dimly lit corridor could be seen.

"I wouldn't call that finding." Deadh replied.

"You're just jealous I saw it first." Vaie rolled her eyes and started her way into the corridor, us two following close behind, careful to not desecrate the dead anymore. 

"What exactly are we looking for, again?" I asked.

"A way to the courtyard."

"Is that where Swyr is?"

"How hard did you hit your head, Heart? He's in the sky. The elevator to it is there."

"Yep. And I bet this will lead us right out!"

I coughed, the dusty corridor making me feel icky. "I hope it fucking does."

"I didn't see any rooms next to the last one when we entered." Deadh replied.

I kept quiet as we continued on, until finally we reached a locked door. Of course, with a kick from Vaie it didn't stay locked for much longer and we found ourselves in a garden, a few heavily armored demons patrolling. It was remarkable untouched by the humans attacking the mansion. As soon as a door came flying out off the side of the house and slammed into one of them, they immediately and predictably charged us. 

Vaie dashed ahead, smoke around her feet. Her opponent raised an ax but was quickly engulfed in smoke from the girl's hand. Smoke magic. Interesting. I watch as then the smoke was cut through by her thin blade. The armored guard fell down, blood gushing from every gap in his armor. Deities, that was fast.

Two charged at Deadh, swords pointed in a thrust. She lazily parried them and then with a very off-putting smile slammed her blade onto the ground. From it came a light that swung ahead and cut the two off guard knights into four. I wonder if those two exist in my world too. They'd be useful. Probably not, this is just a world created to test me after all.

The last one, who had been struck by the door was standing up. I sighed and rushed ahead slamming the back of my sword into his helm. He stumbled away before I could stab him. His left arm raised, a small sphere of ice appearing inside his palm, which he fired at me. Before it even left a foot from him it caught it in a Dark Surface coated hand and sent a bigger one through his head. He stumbled backwards before the life left his body. I frowned at my hand. DS here felt less stressful. No, more like Heart was more used to using it. What kind of life was she living.

"These are Gaia Ranks? The Royals must have lessened their standards." Deadh remarked walking towards the center of the garden.

"Or maybe we're just that strong."

"Of course, we are. The three of us are unstoppable."

"So, where's the lift up." I asked gazing upwards. They hadn't been lying, up above was a titanic chunk of stone just barely visible.

"Over here. Come on, hurry up and step inside. The ride is already gonna be long enough, Heart." Vaie yelled at me.

I nodded and ran over to them before sitting down. Deadh produced a key from her pocket and shoved it into the ground. A circle of runes started to glow and then the ground began to shake, and a strange bubble incased us in a dome and up we began to rise.

"I'd say we have ten minutes to the top. Let's rest, girls." Said Vaie lying back and closing her eyes.

That was a good idea, I could collect my thoughts here. Heart's memories I mean. I focused, thinking back. It had all started the same all the up to when Hayli asked to be my friend, instead she had asked me straight out. That was weird. Besides that, it was barely any difference until the boat ride, where obviously I was never given the potion. I had remained Earth upon that island. 

Then came the main break. The ones drawn for the ruins didn't have Hayli nor Sairah in them. So, then how had I survived. How had that killing blow not come before Olli found me. That too was different. Quaza was made aware of me instantly and treated me much more like she was glad to see me, though that I found out was only a ploy, meant to distract me until a copy of me was made and sent back as a spy. That was always Olli's original plan I bet. Hayli made her change it. Then I had followed them to the island and during a fight accidentally used DS on a Corridor as the spell went off, meaning the spell didn't work as planned, only making me amnesiac and the others forget that the fake wasn't me. I had landed north, further north than I had ever thought one could live without freezing, in a tundra town. There, Vaie and Deadh had brought me to... Swyr. Here he was not as I knew him, but a kind man. He helped me get recovered and when I remembered things, he had me go off to find Hayli, since he seemed to recognize that name but could not place it. That was a mistake, not only did Hayli attack me, but because of that she became aware of her father and his assumed amnesia and had been tricked into retrieving a sword than when she found him had corrupted Swyr and then corupted her, giving her a much more demonic form. The war began not soon after. And the losses did as well. Ilyah, Sairah, Amber, Zeke, Astai, Dryalia, Caela... all of them killed in the fighting. And... my brother Ulther. He had saved Heart's life here. This world was awful. I shook my head. The sides were simple. Hayli, Swyr, Olli, Gaia (That's what Nox called herself here for some reason.), Quaza, Faux Earth on one, Vern, Fredericka, and the rest of the Heroes and candidates on the other. It was odd. The split. But then again, he had planned to take over the world by re-awakening the Twins, so it made sense some demons would side against him.

Still, none of this was telling me what I was expected to do for the test. Defeat Swyr? Could I even do that? My world's Swyr defeated me easily, what could I do against this one. I sighed. Well, I could figure that out later. Now we were approaching the top. I stood up and readied myself. I had, at least, to try and kill him, just in case.

As we stepped off a voice spoke, loud and clear from his spot on the throne. "Ah, the ungrateful whelps, and the corrupted one. Come to do battle. Good, I was getting bored with these heroes and traitors. Some fresh blood would be delicious."

In front of us was two bloodied groups. I could see Nox in her full armor panting as a row of Mirrors guarded her. Vern was on one knee, guarded by Ophelia and Lili. I could see the Earth clone being guarded by Hayli, as he bled onto the stones. And enraged Vea was in front of them, blade coated in black blood.

Vern turned to me, eyes glowing silver. Oh good, he was overexerting himself. That was dangerous. "You. I remember you. You were there when my brother died. Why are you here. Who's side."

Vaie coughed, "We're here to slay the Demon Lord, since your crew seems to be having issues."

"Tsk. Whatever. We could use the help. We've only managed to take down Earth and Olli. Well, more Olli left than was beaten, I still not sure where she went."

I looked over the situation and came to a very fast conclusion that, all we could do is hope to cripple the Demon Lord a bit and regroup. Hayli and Swyr were unharmed and... I stopped two missing people coming into my head.

"Vern. Where is Quaza?"

"How do you know- never mind. She's below fighting Fredericka and Layla." He pointed left of him.

I frowned. Quaza. She would be a blow, one that would easily help the people here out in the fight if she was lost. And I knew Rica and Layla had no chance against her. I looked at my companions who nodded. 

"We'll go help beat your ex." Vaie grinned.

I nodded and turned to the throne. "Stay safe."

They dashed off leaving just the ones I mentioned before. 

"Hm, oh those vermin are leaving already? Oh well, I have the Augurs here anyways. Let's end this dance." Swyr looked towards Hayli. "Daughter."

Hayli turned towards me, "The faker. Back again."

I frowned, "I'd be more offended if Swyr didn't have you under his sway."

She scowled and sent a stream of water against me. I caught it in my palm. "What was that." 

Oh, had I not used DS in front of her in this world?

"You, that's my brother's magic. Who are you." Vern asked. 

"Heart. Come on and beat Avery would you. Or... are you not worthy to have her old title."

He scowled, "Shut up. Lili, Ophelia. Step away. I need to settle this. Family to family." 

They did as they were asked without a word. I motioned them over. "Would you two mind fending off Hayli. I'll do enough to make Swyr bleed."

"Do you have a plan, Thornell?" Lili asked. She knew me, right. She wasn't on the island. 

"Do some damage and leave. Just make sure Vern st-" I stopped as a sword swung down at my head. I jumped back letting it strike the stones in front of me before a beam of light struck me in the shoulder.

Deadh grinned at me. "Come on, that's unfair. You've gotten faster."

What the hell. It hasn't been that long, and I knew Swyr hadn't done anything. He would have just used it on me if he could change memories at range. Was it Azrael or her gift? No. I hadn't seen her, and no one had mentioned her. "Deadh."

"Don't look at me like that, I know you couldn't have gone without the thought passing in your head, Heart. That we were still loyal to Swyr."

This was bullshit. I winched as my shoulder ached. Wait, we. Did that mean... 

There was an explosion of smoke as both Fredericka and Quaza landed in front of me. A voice came from the other end, "Why did you try and take her head off. Do you want that to reawaken."

"Oh, I'm sorry miss uses explosive magic on a floating rock."

I bent down next to Fredericka who was in a rough sort. "Hey, you good?"

"My leg is fucking gone. Wait, you're... Not important. I'm gonna nap..." She stopped talking. I couldn't worry about her now. I wiped my face free of tears. I was gonna, kill him. Kill him. 

"Heart." Quaza struggled up. "You came."

"Quaza." I scowled. "Vern! I think we should escape. You have a Key right?"

Vern was crossing blades with Gaia still. "Yeah? Why?"

"We need to go. We need to-"

Swyr laughed, "Enough games."

I wish I could say what happened next, but I couldn't. The spear he had resting beside him was quickly flicked into Vern's stomach with as much effort as one would use to shoo away a fly.

"Come on now, remember your duty. Augur." He snapped his fingers and his blade transformed into the object that Azrael had. It sunk into the wound and my brother began to scream. I froze, the sensation in my gut getting worse.

What was this. This test. This world. I was going to fail. I was going to die; I was going to-. I stopped and took a breath. I couldn't escape. I couldn't run. Not now. Every time I ran, it only makes things worse. That said, what was I to do. They wouldn't let me leave and I had about two allies able to stand. This was beyond bad. 

I stood up and swallowed my fear. If I fail, at least I failed trying. "Swyr! I challenge you."

The Demon Lord laughed, "Oh? Not running, are we? Very well, I'm willing to let this be your grave." 

He stepped forward, hand brushing against his throne. It shimmered and morphed into a pair of long swords that somehow Swyr held in each hand with ease. I felt my legs shake. "Do your worst."

"Oh, I will." He smiled and dashed forward swinging down at me with speeds that made just able to block it with my sword. And by just able I mean right before it too shimmered and his blades dug down deep into my flesh. 

The pain was unbearable, and it was a miracle I was able to still stand. 

"Heart." Quaza's voice spoke. She was behind me. Holding me up. "Please."

I frowned. I knew what she wanted. I knew that Heart would want it too. But I couldn't. Not now. I could feel that curse seeping into my wounds even now. The curse that Olli discovered imprinted within me from birth. The cost of Dark Surface. I could feel that my siblings were close to slipping into their cursed forms as well. I didn't want that to happen to me, the blood of my parents was still caking my hands. 

"Please. Swyr. Leave her. We have the Augurs; we can create our world." Quaza said walking in front of me."

"When did you learn to speak to me without respect, cur." He raised his arms up and- 

No, not another death. Not another loss. I could feel the weight of every friend and ally Heart had seen perish hit me as he began his swing and I moved in front of Quaza, letting myself take the fatal blow. I crumpled like a doll to the floor and lay on the cold stone. So, this was death. It felt, so familiar. I guess I failed. So, why was I not feeling myself leave. Maybe I had to let go all the way...

"Heart!" Quaza ran next to me, crying. Had I ever seen my Quaza cry? It was so strange. 

"Oh well, lucky miss. At least you'll die together."

No. Quaza. Run. Please. 

I heard the blade slice downwards and then I felt my body convulse as that dark creation did flow from me. I felt it sew my wounds, become my blood and bones and I stood up, struggling to keep control. I glanced at the form of Quaza and nodded. 

"Oh? This magic of yours, I can see why they mistook you for an Augur."

I do not respond with words only charging wildly at him. I must admit. At this point, I remembered nothing. According to her, I was like a true demon, driving back and fighting all of them, despite wounds that piled up. Until finally, in a desperate attempt to stop us, Quaza threw a Key into the trail of DS that surrounded me and then... I was gone. And I had failed to kill the Lord, and I had failed my test.

And yet. I remained in that world.

2