1-12: Departure Day**
471 1 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The boat was huge. Too huge. It was as long as eighty men, ninety wide and twenty tall. It was also still too small for me. (None of those are right. - Vern)

“Nice boat.” Remarked Vern.

“Too small.”

“How! It’s fucking huge, Earth! Look at it, it's barely able to fit in port!”

“No boat is large enough for me.”

“The railing is taller than you, you can’t fall off.”

“Famous last words.”

“If you’d learn to swim then this wouldn’t be a problem.”

“Well sorry for being a landlocked child that wasn’t allowed to travel on the hero tour to where there was water.”

“Are you still mad about that?”

“No. Just reminding you why I probably can’t swim and you can. Not mad you got to have fun outside of our hometown more than me at all.”

Vern sighed and shook his head, “The rules of heroes specify that I have to know how to swim, Earth. They don't want another Henry the Drowned. Now, let’s get on and get to our cabins or whatever. We sail at dawn.”

I complained some more as Vern dragged me up the lowered wooden plank and up onto the surface of the boat. The crew was around and about cleaning, adjusting and testing various aspects of the vessel to get it into tiptop sailing vessel. In the middle of the deck stood a large bodied uniformed woman barking orders at the crew. Behind her were a few cabins with a larger one in the middle which was obviously meant for the captain of the oversized canoe. Noticing us she jogged over to greet both of us.

“Ay oh, there. You two must be the Hero Vern and his Shield, Earth.”

“Yes, ma’am. May I presume you to be the captain of this fine vessel?” Vern bowed, I rolled my eyes. He stuck his tongue out at me. I flipped him off below the belt.

“Why, yes I am. I am Captain Charisa Uncha. And this here vessel is my pride and joy, my newborn child, the Sea Eagle.”

“Ah, well, it’s a pleasure to meet you, captain. My Shield and I would like to see our cabins now.”

“Well then, Hero, you’re in Cabin B-3. Over there.” She pointed to a cabin behind her.

“And Earth?”

“Shield? Below deck, between the crew quarters and kitchen.”

“Room?”

“Thirteen. Why does he look relieved?” She asked.

Vern places his hand on his face, “He can’t swim.”

“Ah, one of those landlubber types. Very well. Landlubber Earth, the stairs are port. Now follow me Vern, I’ll show you how to make the most out of your cabin.”

Vern was dragged away to his cabin. I after asking a nearby crewman what direction port was made my way over to an open hole with a collapsible staircase hanging from it. I carefully walked down it, not trusting the flimsy, last-minute installation to hold.

Several grates meant to remove water from the top deck gave me light to see. A large door was at the end of the short hallway. From inside it I could hear metal clanging, sizzling and people yelling. I pulled open the door and ducked through the kitchen, avoiding the hectic staff. One in order to avoid me bumped into a table and covered who I assumed was the chef with a black paste.

I shut the door behind me and looked around. Down this new hallway was another door with the sign “Crew Only” nailed onto it. Rooms were cut into the sides of the hall like caves. I walked down and found the one labeled with a red painted Room Thirteen.

Inside a nailed down desk, red carpet piece in lieu of a rug, and a hammock made up all of the décor. A few books were placed inside the desk. It was better than the crew quarters probably, but Vern’s was probably better than both. I stretched and plopped down on the carpet in the middle of the floor. One oil lamp on the wall lights the room. It flickered and reflected off the key on the desk. I at least had a key; with the sparse décor I’d almost think they’d leave locks out. At least it meant I could lock it, break it and hole up if something occurred to where the crew would try to force me out to sea.

Plus, I could hide if the kitchen staff caught me stealing food to snack on. Which I of course would never do.

I slid the bag on my back off and pull out a small clock I had bought the day before and place it on the desk. Left in my bag was my leather armor, some clothes, and a small knife. The rest of our luggage was below deck in storage.

My clock ticked as the miniature pendulum inside its base swung. Could clocks like mine work properly on a boat? Vern had told me once which clocks work on boats, but I had forgotten via ignoring him. 

I wonder how they’d use the boat afterwards; five guests were too small a number for the rooms they had.

Speaking of guests, where were the ones other than my brother? They had left an hour before Vern and I had even woken up, leaving a note along with coins from Fredericka to pay for breakfast. I assumed they should be here by now, but then… I’d rather not go up and check.

My clock read thirty-one past six.

I stared at the ceiling and let my mind go fuzzy. I must have really gone out of it too because the next thing I knew I was being shook awake by Sairah. And trust me, you do not want to be shook awake by a bear humon.

“Hey, Earth. Its supper time, ya lazy bump.”

“Saaaaaairah, whyyyyyyy aaaaaarreee yoooouuuu shaaaaaakiiinngg meeee?”

“To get you up. We have dinner with the captain on the top deck.”

“How?” I hadn’t seen a space for a dining hall up there.

“Don’t worry, it’s tonight only, before we sail. Then we have all of our meals delivered to our rooms.”

“Good, I can hide then.”

“My disciple would miss you if you did that.”

“She can come down here, I refuse to spend time where I can fall off and drown.”

“Ya could still drown down here if something pierces the hull.”

“Less of a chance.” Sairah left the room. After brushing my hair, a lot, I followed after her.

The top deck had a table with a gigantic assortment of food in the middle of it. Vern was at the head with Fredericka across from him. Between the two were the captain and Sairah, with Hayli across from the captain.

“The Earth rises!” Yelled Vern.

I ignored him and sat in the chair next to Hayli. Her hair was frizzled and messy, untied and haphazardly covering her shoulders. She looked tired, eyes bloodshot and bags underneath them. That was mostly my fault. We had been playing board games with Bianca and her maids till four in the morning the night before. I assumed she had her usual terrible sleep on top of that.

“Hi, bestie.” She half-heartedly greeted me. She smiled and scooted closer to me and leaned her head on my shoulder. “Let me rest here a little bit.”

I could feel shoulder strain under the weight. “Uh, Hayli… Your scales are digging into me.”

The captain was staring at us. She snickered, “I always thought the dirt was a bad place to take a nap.”

I slammed my face down on the table toppling Hayli on top of me. She jumped up and looked around.

“Aw, this one can't take teasing. You should really get more rest lassie, don't want to pass out on someone that would mind you sleeping on them.” The captain smiled.

"I'm cute. No one here would mind me sleeping on them." Hayli joked sitting back up as I apologized for slamming her to the table. She shook her head and told me it was fine.

I picked a wing off the chicken in front of me and stuffed the meat on it into my face in the hope that the conversation would shift away from me or Hayli.

It thankfully did and the captain and Sairah began to converse. I continued eating my meal grabbing bits here and there and placing them on my plate or in my mouth.

“Hey, bestie.” Hayli poked me in the side.

With a mouthful of lemon seasoned potato slices I looked over and asked, “Whaff Ifsh Ift Hawhee.”

“Where is your cabin?”

I swallowed, “Below deck, where I will be hiding for the next week or however long this death ride lasts.”

“No, I meant what r-r-room are you in. So, I can visit.”

“Oh. Thirteen”

“Great.” She smiled, “I’m in Cabin A-5. If you ever want to visit me.”

“Never. I’m fine never setting foot on the death trap that is the upper deck again until the end of our trip.”

“Even if I asked you to?"

“Well… maybe.” I glanced at Sairah who was smiling at me, “Sure, I might then.” I smiled, half-lying. I probably wouldn't even go on the deck if my brother was being crucified by demons.

“Really?” She got an odd smile on her face. One that made me uncomfortable. She was planning something.

Sairah shook her head, "Hayli, tell me you aren't planning anything." See.

"Nothing bad. Seriously, I told you I'm not going to do anything unless she wants to."

"Like the you-know-what?"

"I'll ask first. Besides I used it."

"First, you were already using substitutes, and second- That's not the point Hayli."

I turn around to Vern as they continue to argue. "So, how's the room."

"Ornate. I feel like I'll break something. Pretty big though. Your room?"

"It could be a closet for all I care. As long as it's away from the deck I do not care."

Vern shook his head, "I wish she here still."

I glared at him, "Excuse me for not being around to learn how to swim."

The captain laughed, "Swimming doesn't help much if you fall off the Sea Eagle. Crushed by the boat or death by exposure, your choice."

"See, even the captain knows the boat is unsafe."

She shook her head, "You won't fall off my vessel landlubber. Not unless we get a real nasty storm."

Vern smirks at me. "I am so teaching you when we get to the island."

"Fine. You going to eat those taters?"

"Give me those scallops." He replied. We swapped and continued to eat. 

Fredericka sighed, "Just get more from the center."

"But it's so far away." Vern stretched and grunted to the un-amusement of the guardswoman.

"You just ask someone to pass it down."

"I asked Earth to give me these." He said popping one into his mouth.

"That's not what I meant. Earth throw me a roll." 

I grabbed one and tossed it to her. She thanked me and started making a roll-wich out of her plate of food.

The rest of the meal passed by without me falling off the boat and after some more idle chatter after with Fredericka and Vern, I went down to my room- stealing a bottle of something to drink on the way- and laid down on the hammock. A minute later Hayli popped her head in.

"Why is this past the kitchen?"

"Why are you in my room. You need sleep more than me."

She looked towards the ground. "Remember that potion I bought?"

"Yeah. Why?"

She took a breath in. "Well, I bought it for both of us. I think it's something that would be helpful for you."

"How so?"

"Yeah, remember my precognition? I just need to get you to discuss a few things and I'll decide if you need it or if that was just a misinterpretation."

"What kind of Potion is it?"

"Just wait until I get you to my room later, please." She began to leave before she turned around, "Weird question, but... is Earth your actual name?"

"What? Yes. Why?"

"If you chose another name, would it be Earth themed?"

"Probably. Why?"

She grinned, "Good night, T."

"G-good night." I stared at her as she left, confused still. What was that about.

I stood sitting on the hammock thinking. What other name would I even use? Dirt? No. Gaia. That was my mom's middle name, so no. Ter- why was I doing this? I shook my head. I leaned back and closed my eyes. My dreams envelop me and off I dazed. 

("Terra? Isn't that a- nevermind. That's cool." The antlered girl smiled. "Though a bit on the nose."

"Excuse me for panicking, while being stuck in a different country." I spit back.

"And whose fault is that? Look I'd rather not have you meet my mom yet, so I have some dresses for you, Terra."

"You're taller than me."

"So? You want my mom to realize the sibling of a Hero is here?"

I coughed and tried to make my voice higher, "Fine. But I should talk. You are awful at lying."

"Aight. So, where did Vern get to?"

From behind us we heard a scream, "A human!"

She turned to me and pointed to a chest, "Get dressed, I'll save your brother, Terra."

I nodded and began to disguise myself.)

(I laid on my back and stared up. I felt her sit down next to me.

"Hey Terra."

"You're still calling me that."

"I know you like it."

"I'm not a- ugh. Look, thanks for helping us escape."

"Looks like you owe me now."

"And what do I owe you?"

"I think we should explore those ruins next month."

"Ugh, what is with you and those rocks Quaza? They're so boring."

She laughed, "You owe me though, Terra.)

33