Chapter 21 – Song to the Moon
720 11 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I don’t know what to tell you, Lark,” says Anya, who no longer looks like Remy. We’re standing outside the library with Ben. “I’ve never really heard of something like that, but you seem to be way more sensitive to stuff like that, or sensitive in a different way, than Ben and I are. I certainly didn’t notice anything weird, but now that you mention it, I wasn’t getting much of a read on your charming brother until he got mad and left. I guess it’s another thing I can ask Mom about.”

“Are we worried about that picture that Jake had?” I ask.

“Not really,” Anya shrugs. “Maybe mention it to your guy, Ben?”

Ben nods. “There’s a few of us who keep track of stuff like that. As long as there’s no real convincing proof, it’s usually not a big deal. I don’t think one blurry picture is anything to worry about. You reacted like most people would when somebody says they have a picture of a demon. You said the pics were in an email. Did you see who sent it?”

“It was a Gmail address. Van Helsing bunchanumbers.”

“That narrows it down to probably only half of the usual suspects,” Ben laughs. “Okay if I pass along your number to some folks, just in case they have any questions?”

“Yeah, that’s fine. Thanks for being here today.”

We say our goodbyes and Anya gives me a lift to the music store. I head inside after a brief makeout session.

“Hey, Lark!” Kelly says as I walk in the door. “Good news! A unit in my building opened up, so Michelle and Lily will be moving in after Thanksgiving. Their lease starts December 1, but they’re hoping to be in town for Thanksgiving, if they can find someplace to keep their stuff.”

“Oh, sweet!” I say. “Let me know details when they get things figured out. I can lend a hot butch who’s nice to watch when she lifts heavy things.”

Kelly lets out an exaggerated dreamy sigh and we both giggle.

Lessons pass largely uneventfully. When I come back up to the front of the store, June is at the counter talking to Kelly.

“Hey, June!” I say. “What’s up?”

“I thought I’d stop by and give you a ride over to work. Unless you wanted to walk in that?” She jerks her head at the window and I can see that today’s grey sky has fulfilled its promise of rain. “It’s starting to freeze up, so it’s already slick and only going to get worse.”

“Then I accept. Thanks!”

“How about you, Kelly?” June asks. “Are you here much longer and are you going to be okay getting home?”

“I’m closing tonight, so I’m here for at least another two hours,” Kelly answers. “My apartment is close, though, so I should be okay.”

“Okay! Let me know if you change your mind. It shouldn’t be busy tonight, especially if the weather keeps getting worse, and I can be here in a few minutes. Also, Anya just put winter tires on my car.”

“I’ll let you know. Thanks! See ya, ladies!”

June and I head out to her car and make the short drive to Sam’s bar. The roads are getting slick. As June predicted, it’s a quiet night. After about an hour, June gets a call from Sam saying that we can close early at our discretion.

“It would have been nice if she’d made that call before we came over here,” June says, “but she said we’re getting paid for the whole shift anyway, so I guess I can’t complain. We’ll lose tips, though.”

“It’s not like we’re getting a lot of tips tonight anyway,” I point out. The only patrons are Olivia the medusa, who is quietly reading in a booth, and some werewolf frat boys engaged in a friendly, and more than a little tipsy, arm-wrestling contest.

“Hey, folks!” June calls out. “We’re closing early tonight so everyone can get home safe. If you want any more food, place your orders now because otherwise we’re shutting down the grill. We’ll start kicking you out in forty-five minutes or so. Bar’s open till then.”

The customers wave acknowledgement, but since no one orders any more food, June ducks into the kitchen to tell Nate, the cook, that he can clean up and head out. As she disappears, someone comes through the entrance.

The newcomer is gorgeous. I’ve learned at this point that when it comes to supernatural folks, appearance is no reliable indication of age, but she looks maybe early middle-aged. She has wide eyes a startling green set in a flawless creamy complexion and I catch a hint of green highlights in her dark hair as she sways up to the bar, unbuttoning an expensive-looking fur coat to reveal an equally pricey-looking jumpsuit and curves for days.

“I’m sorry,” I say, “we’ll be closing early today because of the weather, but I can still get you a drink.”

“Don’t worry, darling, I will not stay too long,” she says. There’s a hint of accent that I can’t quite place. Something Eastern European maybe? “Bourbon, neat, please. Put it on my tab. Sofie. With an F. You must be Lark. Sam said the new girl was a pretty demon.”

“Uh, yeah,” I say smoothly.

I pour her drink and Sofie explains. “I was in the area today and wanted to see the space. I will be singing here next week for your opening. I see Sam still does not have a sound system.”

“Oh, that’s great!” I say. Although we’d been open for a few weeks now, Sam wanted to have some kind of event. She’d mentioned live music, but no details. “I think Sam has some gear coming, but I’m not sure when. She was going to bring stuff over from the old place, but that was before she knew she could keep it open.”

“It is no matter. I will have my boys bring our system if necessary.” She leaves her drink on the bar and walks to the stage and claps her hands, cocking her head to listen to the sound of the room.

“It is no worse than any other basement,” she says as she returns to the bar.

“Ha, yeah, I’ve played in much worse.”

“Oh?” Sofie raises one perfect eyebrow. “You are also a musician?”

“Bass. Not gigging currently since half my band moved, but we’re putting things back together.”

“Does your band know that you are a demon?”

I decide not to muddle things with my confusion on what flavor of Nephilim I am. “Not the part that moved to Seattle; that was before I got, uh, demonized. But June is our guitarist”—I point my thumb at June, who has just come out from the back—“and the drummer is my roommate. He’s a regular human but cool. Why?”

“There are many of us who are musicians, but sometimes it can be hard to find a band for an event that does not introduce…outside complications. I’m sure Sam can tell you better than I can. Call me when you are ready to play a gig.” She hands me a card.

“Thanks! Is there anything else I can do for you? You’re welcome to stay for a bit before we close up.”

“Perhaps another bourbon, then.”

I pour Sofie another drink. Nate comes out of the kitchen and waves goodbye. June and I tidy up the bar and wipe down tables as our customers leave. Sofie is the last to go.

We lock up and Owen, the stocky bouncer, falls into step behind us as we take the stairs up to street level.

“So what is Sofie?” I ask June as we leave the building. The rain has turned to a wintry mix. “Besides a hot singer, I mean.”

“She’s a rusalka,” she answers. “A slavic river mermaid.  They supposedly lure men to their death by singing. Nobody dies at Sofie’s shows, though.”

“That’s good, I guess. Do they eat the men?”

There’s a low laugh from the shadows outside the pool of light by the entrance. Sofie steps out of the darkness as a black car pulls up to the curb.

“Only men who deserve it,” she says as she gets into the car. “Pretty girls we just eat out.” It’s hard to tell in the precipitation, but I think she winks at me before she closes the door and the car pulls away.

“Okay then!” I say and I can feel my face warming. June laughs. We say goodbye to Owen and get in June’s car.

“I texted Kelly and said I’d give her a ride,” says June. We pull up outside the music store as Kelly is locking up. She gets in and we drive a few blocks to her apartment building. We watch the car in front of us brake at a red light and then slide slowly forward on the slippery road surface into the intersection. Fortunately, it seems like most people have already given up on driving for the night as the roads are pretty empty and the car is able to safely clear the intersection.

After dropping Kelly off, June drives us carefully home to her and Anya’s house. The winter tires are up to the task, but I stay quiet so she can concentrate despite having a question I desperately want to ask her. Anya had insisted I stay the night with her in case the meeting with Jake was emotionally rough, which is why June isn’t driving me back to my apartment, so I know I can get her help with an interrogation if I need it. But maybe a gentler touch is the way to go.

“So, you and Kelly, huh?” I ask as we pull into the driveway.

June looks surprised. “How did you know?”

“I kinda picked up some vibes. Sorry. I’m still getting the hang of all of that. I promise I wasn’t trying to eavesdrop or whatever you wanna call it.”

“No, it’s fine. I don’t know that we’re an item yet. Taking things kind of slow. See how things go. I wasn’t looking for anything, but I guess she was. Or it just happened. But Kelly’s sweet and letting me set the pace. It’s not something I’ve really done before, you know?”

It’s a little strange, but very endearing, seeing June less sure of herself like this.

“Yeah, Kelly’s great,” I say. “I’m glad for you.”

“Don’t tell Anya, please.”

“I won’t. But she might figure it out.”

“That’s okay. I just want a little more time if I can have it. I think I’m glad that you know, though.”

I give her a hug and we walk inside. Anya is on the couch, so I dump my stuff and snuggle up to her.

“Guess who came by Sam’s?” June says. “Sofie.”

“Oh damn!” Anya whistles. “The MILFy mermaid? Is she hot or is she hot, babe?”

“I should have warned you, Lark. Your girlfriend’s kind of obsessed with her,” June laughs.

“I just have good taste in women,” Anya retorts. “Right?”

“It’s, um, kinda hard to argue with that,” I say. “Yeah, she’s gorgeous.”

“I went to her last show at Sam’s old place,” Anya says. “She blew me a kiss so I guess you could say she’s kind of into me, too.”

I shake my head at June, but she looks me dead in the eye as she says, “Yeah, and she heavily implied that she’d be happy to go down on Lark.”

“Then she has good taste too,” Anya says. “I say you take her up on it as long as I can watch.”

62