Chapter 10: Q & A
24 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10: Q & A

 "So, counting spilled rice?" I asked Ferenc who just smirked at me. "Come on, Fer. Is it real, or no?" 

"Myth," he tells me with that same British accent, that makes my knees go weak. He seems to have noticed the effect that his voice has on me because he begins to speak again. "If you don't believe me, we can spill some rice, and you can see if you want to count it?"  

Oh my god, why is this man this perfect? I wonder, and not for the first time, what he sees in me? Why did he accept me with open arms? That leads me to my next question.

"So, turning a person in a vampire kills the original vampire? Myth, or no?" I ask, and his expression turns somber. 

"That is the truth, regretfully. There were about two-hundred original vampires. All but two are now dead," he tells me, and my eyes go wide. 

"Wait, where did all the myths come from, if there are about only 200 of us at a time?" I ask, and he sighs. 

"How many of the myths are the truth, kiscica? You have been asking me about them for the past hour," he tells me, and I check his phone. Yes, an hour has indeed passed us by. 

"So, we can't take over the world? The vampires are what? An endangered species?" I ask, and he nods. 

"Some of the original 200 had heirs that couldn't pass on the curse, so, there are less of us nowadays. In Hungary, there are about only two others than you and me," he tells me, and I turn pale. 

"Because the villagers here like wooden stakes?" I ask him, and he nods. 

"You were lucky you didn't explore rural Bulgaria. People there are just as superstitious, as the ones in here and in Romania. There are no vampires in Romania, by the way. At least ten lost their lives, and their lines ended, in that country," he tells me, and I nod. Yes, the wooden stake happy natives must have dealt with the vamps without judge or jury. 

"Why are you living in here, when you can move anywhere?" I really need to know. If life is so hard for him in Hungary, why doesn't he move? 

"This is my home," he says, and smiles at me. "I was born in here, back when the Austrians ruled over us. I fought during the times when we got our independence. Kiscica, I am too invested in this land." 

I blink then. Wait, just how old is Ferenc? That is my next question. 

"Old," is his simple answer, and he changes the subject. "The house is under my name. So, no worries about us having to leave anytime soon. I will be bringing my feeder in here, so, I will bring out the water bed." 

"Your feeder?" I ask him. His expression softens. 

"Aliz won't bother you. I am certain that you both can become friends," he says, and I smile. Although, my heart breaks. 

Maybe I misunderstood something, back when I met Ferenc? He said I will need to put in some work to improve my body, and I thought that he and I... but, what was I thinking?

He is one hell of a hot piece of ass, and I am... me. For all I know, this Aliz is his lover, on top of being his feeder. Wait, does it mean that the guy lets himself be drunk from?

"So, you drink from Aliz?" I ask, and Ferenc nods. 

"Not too much. I make sure he is well," he assures me, and then takes his phone. The next thing I know, I am looking into the picture of an adorable, eyeglasses wearing, twenty-something man, with light brown curls, caramel eyes, and pale skin. The guy must have never gone tanning before because he is really pale. If I hadn't seen his picture, I would have said that he is a vampire.  

"So, for how long have you known Aliz?" I ask, pretending to just keep the small talk going. In my mind, the small hope I was keeping alive that Ferenc and I could be together, was flickering out of existence, in the face of the wistful look of the Hungarian vampire. He sure as hell has never looked at me like this. 

"Five years. Aliz lives in a nearby village. He just graduated from university. I footed the bills, in exchange for blood. Now, he is working from home, making websites, and can move in with me. I mean, us," Ferenc said, and then placed his hand over mine. "The three of us can share something special." 

Those words stuck in my head, as I laid on the couch, and typed my conversation in the blog. I waited for anyone to type their opinion, and, as always, killyourself89 didn't disappoint. 

  He is going to use you to turn his lover, doofos. You are going to die, turn into a pile of ash. Run while you still can! -killyourself89. 

I check to see if Ferenc is still asleep, and then go out of my cocoon made out of blankets. On tip-toes, I try the door. Then, I blink. The door is locked. I go and try the windows. One opens, and I slid through it. Thanking God and all the saints, of all of the different parts of Christianity, that the windows are big enough for my bulk. 

When I am far enough, so I can no longer smell Ferenc, which hopefully means that he can't smell me either, I allow myself a breather. How could this happen? The only guy who gives me the time of day is not only taken, but is also probably planning my death. I decide not to waste my time, and smile bitterly. 

Come now, Julius, who would like a fat man?

This is not the first time I ask myself this question, but it is the first time that it threatens to choke me, and force me to the ground. Just as I am nearing the highway, something slams into me. Then, I know only darkness. 

3