Chapter 30: Novac
378 0 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Novac, the town with the big giant dinosaur statue on it. When I visited the town, I only came here for one thing, and that one thing was That Gun. Other than That Gun, I didn't know much else about this town, and also, that bald sniper would give a red outline over any target when I was aiming. Other than a quest objective, this town didn't have too much going on, to be entirely honest.

Well, I retconned that I had to go to Repconn Test Site to do something about the ghouls in that location in particular. After all, Novac was a town that lived basically on the scraps and junks salvaged from the place around the whole town, whether it was from that test site, or from Helios One.

As I approached the town, I got greeted by one of the people there, "Hey, are you from the NCR?"

"Do I look like someone who works with the NCR?" I asked.

"Yes, that armor gave it away. Anyway, welcome to Novac, soldier, we are a happy town which respected our own independence from both the reds and the NCR," he said.

"I'm not with the NCR. I'm just happy to piss the Legion," I added.

"In that case, you'll be welcomed here. If you want to get some food, you can get some from the tent. Cliff sold some weapons and ammo from that dino statue right there. If you want to stay in one of the bungalows or motels, just ask May," he said.

"Alright, thanks for the info, appreciate it," I said as I walked toward the dinosaur statue.

The entrance to the dino statue was inside the motel's courtyard. However, that was not the thing that attracted my attention. It was the fact that the securitron from Goodsprings appeared in here. Well, it was just a regular securitron, though, not the same one with the cowboy hat.

I ignored the securitron since there was nothing I needed to talk about to him. I headed inside the dinosaur statue, and as expected, a black almost balding man immediately greeted me. His name was Cliff Briscoe, the owner of the Dino Gift Shop.

"Hey there, welcome to the gift shop, what can I help you with today?" He asked.

"I'd like to sell you these," I put all of the loot that I got from the Legion encampment, the pistols, and all of the other weapons that I got minus the chainsaw for obvious reason. "Do you have enough caps?" I asked.

"Ah, well…" He scratched his head, knowing that there were lots of weapons to be bought. However, I could see that this man didn't have that much money on him. However, I needed to bargain the price for the weapons so I could get a somehow meaningful profit. "These weapons are not in their prime condition, you see?"

"Hmm, but it would expand your business, right?" I convinced him.

"True, but I really can't give you the market price for these guns, considering that some of them would require some major repairing. People wouldn't buy a not-working gun, see?" He said.

"Fine, how much would you give me?" I asked.

"8,000 caps. Think of it as my own long-term investment, perhaps, opening some kind of store to rival the gunrunners. What do you think, would it be enough?" He asked.

Thinking about it, 8,000 caps were a lot of money, and I would doubt that Lacey in Mojave Outpost would be interested in this many amounts of weapons considering that she didn't have much in the weapons department. She was a food vendor, after all.

Besides, I didn't like keeping this many weapons in my Pip-Boy inventory. First, it was cluttered, and second, I didn't exactly like to go all over the place to sell all of my weapons. 8,000 Caps would be enough to set me up for life, to be honest. Still, I preferred to have something better in the future.

"Alright, give me the money, I'll take it," I said.

The old man went to the back of his storage room and put the massive amount of bottlecaps that he kept on the table. I put all of the bottlecaps in the massive sack into my Pip-Boy. Man, what a hassle to keep this many bottlecaps. I wondered whether the other currencies like the NCR dollars and Legion money worked here.

"Do you accept Legion money?" I asked, out of curiosity.

"No, we don't accept Legion money. The NCR doesn't like people that use Legion money," he said.

"I see. So, you only take NCR money, then?" I asked.

"More or less. Even then, there is not much demand for it here. Unless you're not from around here, I suggest converting all of your NCR dollars to bottlecaps, it's universal," he said.

"I see, thanks for the advice, and the bottlecaps. I assume you don't have anything to interest me, do you?" I asked.

"Well, for starters, I have the limited edition miniature dino statues in here. If you want some, I can give it to you, for a price, of course," he said.

The worthless dino statue that was particularly useless even in the game? No thank you, I'd rather waste money on something else, for example, That Gun. Then again, I really didn't have any use for a 5.56 pistol at the moment, considering that I already had my fully-automatic service rifle.

"Well, I can offer you a modification for your rifle. Say, have you ever heard of rails?" He asked.

"Rails? The one that you used to move a train from one place to another? Yeah, I have seen a lot of them lately, especially with how the NCR moved their cargo using the train tracks nowadays. How would a train rail modify my weapon, though?" I asked him.

"No, I meant a weapon modification rail, like this," Cliff showed me a black upper receiver. It had this rail on top of it. What was it called? Martini Rail? Picaniti Rail? Pinaciti rail? What was it?

"Ah, Picatinny Rail?" I asked.

"Picatinny rail? What's that?" Cliff asked.

"Some sort of weapon modification thingy, still, do you even have scopes to attach it to?" I asked him back. What would the purpose of the rail be if there was no scope to attach? Still, it could be a great investment. "Just give me that, I think it would be a good investment."

"If that's the case, thanks for your patronage."

18