Chapter 31: Some People at Novac
399 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In Novac, there weren't too many attractions. It was a town for scrappers and alike, even to the point where some part of the town would make Geiger counters go tick tick tick due to the amount of radiation.

In front of the motel was a repair shop, filled with rocket spare parts, probably from the test site nearby. I didn't know too much about it, but I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. It was a surprise that nobody got sick from the radiation already.

Well, I didn't think that staying near the irradiated town to sleep would be a good idea. One thing though, back in the game, the rocket spare parts didn't emit any radiation whatsoever. Well, maybe, the radiation-emitting parts had been sold somewhere before the courier even arrived in the first place.

Suddenly, as I exited the courtyard of the place, an old man with tattered clothing approached me. He had white hair and was quite messy as well, and smelled funky, "Youngblood, you got to make sure those crazy don't enter your mind."

"WHAT?" I replied, squinting both my eyes, with the sudden remark.

"Those little commie spies, kid. They'll poison your mind with red propaganda," He said. 

"Huh? What did you say?" I replied, knowing what to reply to that statement. Chinese people were gone, or at least, no longer a threat they used to be unless there was something that I didn't know from the base game. "The reds are all gone, old man."

"That's what they want you to believe. Look at them, poisoning your eyes with red propaganda," he said.

Then, suddenly, an old woman pulled me away from the old man. Damn, what a crazy old man. This old woman eventually pulled me back into the Novac's courtyard. This old woman looked very laid back, to be entirely honest.

"Thanks for the assist, but who are you?" I asked.

"I'm Daisy Whitman, people around here call me Daisy. What brings you into Novac, young man?" Daisy asked.

"Just the statue, to be honest," I said, looking for a reason. I couldn't say that there was a legion encampment probably ready to assault the town at any time if not for those two NCR rangers that were coming to rescue.

"Ah, the statue. I thought you are here to scavenge. Are you a merc? You look awfully familiar to a regular NCR merc," she said.

"Kinda, I worked for them, but it's because I like to piss the Legion," I replied.

"That's a good cause. Those Legions are indeed something, eh? I'm still surprised they hadn't crossed the river yet, for whatever reason," Daisy said.

Had she known that the Legion was not even several kilometers away from the town, she might be more cautious about her words. To be entirely honest, as much as I didn't like to admit it, the Legion legitimately posed a threat to this town.

After that last attack, I made a grave mistake by underestimating the Legion using the belief that the Legion depended so much on melee attacks and their lack of dependence on technology made them less likely to use a gun. However, the thing was, I forgot that the only people that didn't use guns was the legionary recruit. The other people used poorly maintained guns.

"I wish they were as stupid as I believed them to be," I sighed.

"What do you mean? They're fanatics, but not stupids," Daisy added.

"You got that right," I replied. "What are you doing in Novac, old lady?"

"Me? You know, waiting for age to go by and help the town manage the scraps coming right and left. Looking for salvageable parts, the usual," Daisy said.

"Oh, I see. Have you always been a scavenger, or were you something else?" I was curious.

"Well, I like that you ask. I used to fly a vertibird, but now, here I am," she said.

Vertibird? It was quite surprising to know that the NCR had vertibird. I remembered that I had to protect President Kimball's vertibird during his speech at Hoover Dam. It was rather an easy mission, but well, I wouldn't think the Legion would try to attack Hoover Dam anytime soon. There was simply not enough force on the other side of the river.

I wondered whether NCR controlled some towns on the other side of the river, though. After all, the Legion didn't focus too much on NCR as of this day, since they were more busy gathering slaves than killing NCR soldiers. Whether it was a good thing or a bad thing, I'd leave anyone to decide.

"NCR has vertbirds?" I asked.

"Nah, I'm not from the NCR. I'm just a random traveler with some random travelers," she said.

"Ah, I see. Well, if that's the case, thanks for the help with dealing with that old crazy man," I said.

"No problem, my dear," Daisy said.

With my business in Novac concluded, I decided that returning back to Mojave Outpost would be the best course of option, considering that I had a free space to sleep there, instead of living in this pseudo radioactive bungalow.

15