Chapter 34: The Interest of Mojave Outpost
366 5 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"My favorite person returns, how are you, kid?" Jackson asked just the moment that the news of my arrival arrived at the outpost. It was not surprising, considering that he was the one that called the NCR veteran ranger backup for me.

"Fine, more or less," I said.

Thanks to the Stimpak. I could move a little bit better than the previous day, but still, there was a little hot sensation in my stomach, but not an infection, just a little bit of pain. It would eventually subside with routine Stimpak usage.

"Great. You're lucky RS Charlie sent their most badass rangers to come to the rescue," Jackson said.

"The vets? Yeah, I saw them. Good call, I never knew that it would be that much Legion in there. Bloody hell, they were insanely good. Tell me, how many rangers that can take a Legion encampment like that?" I asked Jackson.

"Hahahaha, it's a secret. But we call them a one-man platoon for a reason," Jackson said.

"Anyway, I'm here to deliver a package to Ranger Polar," I said.

"Sure, sure," Jackson said.

I entered the outpost's main building where Knight usually stayed. Rangers usually used a headquarter of an outpost to stay, so there was no doubt that I'd meet Ranger Polar there. And, as expected, there was an NCR Veteran Ranger sitting down on one of the chairs in the headquarter.

He was wearing the usual LAPD Riot Gear behind the desert duster that bore the NCR insignia. His helmet was right beside him, on the chair. He was also holding an Assault Carbine, the same as Ranger Agna. Why would he need an Anti-Materiel rifle?

"Excuse me, Ranger Polar?" I approached the person.

"Yes?" He asked me.

"I have a package for you," I said as I grabbed an Anti-Materiel rifle from my inventory and gave the rifle to him.

He grabbed the rifle and inspected it. He looked very satisfied with the rifle that he got. No wonder, though, it was produced, not looted. The weapon would be top-grade. "Thanks, how much was it, 300 caps?" He asked as he gave me a bundle of bottlecaps in a plastic bag.

[300 Bottlecaps Have Been Added]

"Thanks."

"By the way, Commander Agna told us a lot about you," Polar said.

Commander Agna? So, that female ranger was their commander? That was rather unexpected for a commander to jump into the battlefield like what Agna did to rescue me alongside Moore. Then again, they were rangers, not regular troopers.

"What did she say about me?"

Polar smiled, "The mad man that charged into a Legion's encampment alone to served as my distraction. She said it was stupid, but it was brave. Thanks to you, Agna could return to RC Charlie with all the refugees unharmed."

"Unharmed? What does it have to do with me?"

"Well, the Legion underestimated the appearance of one single crazy trooper then forgot that two vets were watching them with bloodlust," Polar explained. "So, the rangers managed to catch them unguarded before they decided to harm the hostages."

"That's good to know."

"Yeah, heroic tales about you had begun spreading across the Mojave. Keep an eye out, though, Legion would begin to hunt you down. If I were you, I'd give an attachment to the rifle, at the very least," he said.

Well, yes, but who sold scopes around here? I doubt Lacey had one and Cliff in Novac didn't have one either. He only had one Picatinny upper to be used with my Service Rifle and that was it. It was good advice, but not applicable at the moment, and the last time I checked, it required the mysterious perk 'Gun Nut II' to create a scope on my own.

"I found something among the last batch of raiders, this," he put something on my hand.

That something was not an odd thing, but rather something that I really wanted. It was a red dot sight.

"Thanks, are you sure you want to give it to me?" I asked.

"Yeah, I don't need it," Polar said.

"Thanks."

I left Polar and headed into the barracks. I wanted to inspect the scope first, it looked awfully familiar to the Aimpoint red dot sight that was popular back in the day. I sat down on my bed while looking at the scope.

[EM-Point RDS]

That was something. It was Aimpoint, not EM-Point. However, I also noticed that the E on the inscription wasn't a regular E. It was the capital with the line in the middle consisting of three stripes instead of a singular line. It was Enclave's signature E. How the hell did Ranger Polar get a hand on this kind of sight, anyway?

I sighed. It seemed that Enclave's presence was way bigger than I previously anticipated. The thing was, would Enclave affect how NCR's Mojave Campaign plays in any way or not? I'd not bother with the small factions like Great Khans, Three Families, Boomers, or anything similar since their involvement might be minor. However, the Enclave? They might turn the outcome in the First Battle of Hoover Dam.

Well, it might be a coincidence too that somehow, I got myself an Enclave military ration alongside Enclave red dot sight. Something wasn't right. The first time might be a coincidence, but two times in a row would be too good to be a coincidence.

'Doesn't matter, though.' Overall, it was just an ordinary day, nothing too special, but I began to fear that the Legion would eventually come after me in a way I thought to be impossible.

16