Chapter 43: Slavers? Again?
265 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What? A slaver? In here? In Primm? AGAIN?" I shouted at Nash.

You know, I had gotten tired of this bullshittery about the Legion, and especially about the lack of security that the sheriff provided for this town. Like, man, I wasn't even trained for doing this, but I still did it anyhow. Sooner or later, I'd got myself killed.

"Who got kidnapped this time?"I asked.

"Children, they were heading to Searchlight! You need to stop them!" Nash asked me.

"Searchlight, where?" I asked.

However, I failed to notice something. That courier, with the black duster and 12.7 submachine gun, was watching us. He was watching us with a gaze as sharp as an eagle. He stood up and then approached me. My combat armor wouldn't be able to protect me from the weapon that he was holding right now.

"Legion, isn't it? I might be able to help," he said. "Legion usually goes to the east of Searchlight, a place called Cottonwood Cove. The Legion. They took the road south of Searchlight, an airport south of that Bear's place."

"So, around the airport?" I asked him.

"Yes, be careful, the bull is watching you," he said.

"The bull? The Legion, you mean?" I asked.

"Yes, good luck to you, Courier 10. We might never see each other again," he said.

"Thanks, what's your name, anyway?" I asked.

"Ulysses. Name's Ulysses."

It hits me like a truck about who he was, or what he would become. Ulysses. The bloody courier that launched the ICBM at the NCR at Long 15 if not stopped. He was the Legion, or was with the Legion until the Divide, aka the meeting with Courier 6.

Still, as of right now, I wasn't sure that killing him would be the best idea I could ever think of. Right now, the slaves might be the best thing to do in the first place because it would have less risk of fighting this one guy with the perfect S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats. He was very strong and very cunning to some extent.

Someone who honored history like him was someone which I wanted to be a friend of, not an enemy of. I wouldn't want someone that had a lot of spy networks like him to come after me. I feared Ulysses more than Caesar, for some reason. If I had known his name earlier, I would give him better respect.

"Thanks, Ulysses," I ran outside, straight out of the Mojave Express and right into I-15. I didn't know what I was thinking, but I just felt that it was a moral call. If I didn't save those children, who knew what the Legion would do with them?

I skipped through Ivanpah Dry Lake instead of the usual route using Mojave Outpost as a route. That would be a faster route toward Searchlight, ignoring the giant ants that didn't actually post a threat at this point due to the amount of ammunition that I brought. Every single ant that I encountered was shot. I didn't give a single care about it.

All that mattered was to get the kids out of the Legion's grasp, and I knew that this would be a difficult thing to do, mainly because I didn't bring any backup. However, I didn't think it would be wise to count on any backup whatsoever. Man, this would be hard, wouldn't it?

===

Ulysses wasn't lying, for some unknown reasons. There were indeed some kids who got kidnapped by the Legion. Now, I had to figure out how to rescue those kids from this position which was to open at this point, without any doubt.

Standing in the middle of the desert between Camp Searchlight and Searchlight Airport made me wonder what would happen next. Should I just rescue one of those children straight away or what? It became a major question. My new scope would help to deal with them, but would it be enough? I meant, to kill was one thing, but to rescue was another.

I took a shot. BANG. A bullet flew straight into the legionary's head. The rest of the legionaries seemed to be more disciplined, this time, taking cover behind rocks instead of engaging the enemy without any covering fire. They seemed to be learning rather different tactics this time, quite funny, considering that last time, they went full charge at me.

I heard footsteps from behind me, but I saw nothing. What happened? I took cover behind one of the rocks near the searchlight, man, what the hell was this Legion? Suddenly, I looked behind, and there was a very obscure vision, but I couldn't make of it. Suddenly…

"FOR CAESAR!"

BOOM!

The explosion threw me off the rocks, right into the ground, then I realized it was a suicide bomber from the Legion. Bloody hell! I tried moving my legs, but I couldn't a bone stuck into the leg, preventing me from moving anywhere. My service rifle was thrown away from my hands, leaving me with nothing.

I moved my hand to my Pip-Boy, but I couldn't. I simply couldn't. Blood spilled all over the desert floor, painting the brown desert with red color. The legion slavers approached me and laughed. "Got you, Caesar has marked you for death, and the legion obeys."

Suddenly, one of them put their machete next to my throat and slowly slit it open. I began to suffocate, pulling up air to my lung became harder, and I heard a whistle from my neck, my windpipe was broken. I started struggling and eventually convulsing in pain. The legion slavers left me to suffocate in my own blood in the Mojave Desert.

Man, would this be how it ends? Would this be my end? I eventually lost consciousness as my vision darkened.

8