Chapter 9: Return to the Sect
1.2k 6 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After eating, they packed up and got ready to head out.

 

 Li Qiuyue’s injuries had healed enough to be able to move around, and because Xu Ming and Wang jin had been delayed in returning to report on their task, they didn’t linger around any longer and decided to head back to the sect immediately. 

 

Mountain Wu sect was as its name prescribed; the sect was located on a mountain that had once been famous as a rare spring condensed of abundant spiritual energy was discovered there. Since the land was fertile and the conditions were good, the Mountain Wu sect settled here. Over many years, it has become the established sect of today. 

 

“Junior brother Yu, come here.” Wang Jin beckoned with a bright smile. 

 

Yu Liang was almost blinded by the puppy-like gesture, but he hurriedly collected himself while rushing over to Wang Jin’s side. “Senior brother Wang?” 

 

Wang Jin placed a bottle of low-grade restoration skills in Yu Liang’s hand. “These are for you. You have suffered these past few days.” 

 

Yu Liang was a little flustered, unsure of how to accept this kind gesture. “No, no, I can’t trouble senior brother Wang.” He tried giving the bottle back but was blocked by a hand that intercepted between him and Wang Jin. 

 

“You’re going to refuse your senior brother’s kindness?” Xu Ming said quietly. 

 

A gulp unconsciously made Yu Liang swallow down his previous words. Why did there seem to be a bit of a threat in Xu Ming’s words? “I don’t dare accept, senior brother Xu. I am not seriously injured, and I am almost fully recovered.” 

 

Xu Ming’s eyes narrowed, scrutinizing the expression on Yu Liang’s face. Originally, he had seen that this little junior brother was quite attentive and good-looking, and there was an uncomfortable feeling in his chest seeing the former alongside Wang Jin. He had thought many things since hearing Wang Jin’s talk about Yu Liang being forced by another disciple surnamed Ma to do bad things, but had been a bit doubtful of Yu Liang’s true intentions. Xu Ming had even speculated that maybe Yu Liang was like a sparrow hoping to climb atop a high branch using his good looks, but… 

 

“It’s okay, junior brother Yu. These are the pills allotted to sect disciples monthly, and as an inner sect disciple, I am able to get more after returning from my task this time.” Wang Jin placed a hand on Xu Ming’s outstretched arm, smiling warmly at Yu Liang. “We will be troubling you and junior sister Li these next few days as we hope to return back to the sect quickly.” 

 

Yu Liang nodded his head obediently, flickering a hesitant glance at Xu Ming who had moved aside at Wang Jin’s words. “Then this junior brother thanks senior brother Wang and senior brother Xu.” He cupped his hands respectfully. 

 

Xu Ming sighed internally, feeling a little guilty at his suspicions against Yu Liang. Though he was naturally more cautious and stern than Wang Jin, Xu Ming could see the sincerity in Yu Liang’s words and actions. Perhaps, the junior brother had been treated so badly that he saw Wang Jin as some sort of savior. However, he would need to observe this Yu Liang more to figure out his true character. “En, let’s head out.” 

 

Li Qiuyue had watched this exchange between the three with an indifferent expression. She had already gathered her things and was waiting for them. 

 

They stamped out the fire and began their journey back to the sect. During their little journey, Yu Liang had learned a lot from Wang Jin, and the two chatted happily like two peas in a pod. Xu Ming seemed to relax his vigilance against Yu Liang thankfully, but Li Qiuyue was still as silent and unsociable as ever. It took them two days of traveling before reaching the entrance to the sect at the foot of the mountain.

 

A few disciples came up to the group. “Senior brother Wang, senior brother Xu, did you guys get caught up in the spiritual beast stampede as well?” 

 

“En, but we were only delayed and not injured. We’ll be reporting our task to Sect Elder Wen in a little bit.” Xu Ming spoke to the others calmly. “Assist junior brother Yu and junior sister Li to the medical wing to get treated.” 

 

Yu Liang respectfully bid goodbye to Xu Ming and Wang Jin, feeling a bit sad at the departure of his favorite CP. He was quiet as he followed alongside Li Qiuyue as they were led to the medical wing. The other disciple spoke about the recent matters involving the spiritual beast stampede; apparently, quite a number of disciples had been caught in it and ended up losing their lives or severely injured. 

 

“There is one disciple who is making quite big claims recently too,” the disciple spoke as he led them into the medical wing. “He claims that his life was plotted against by another disciple who had killed all the people he was with by forcing them into the stampede.” 

 

Yu Liang froze at those words, his mind whirling with many thoughts. How could he forget!? He had been so excited about the dogfood from his favorite CP that he had forgotten about the big fish surnamed Ma! In the original novel, Ma Chang came to seek trouble with Li Qiuyue, accusing her of intentionally seeking revenge against him and causing the other disciples to die in the stampede! 

 

It was as the fates had conspired against them because it wasn’t long after these words that a group of people came to the medical wing. “Where is outer sect disciple Li Qiuyue?” 

 

Li Qiuyue had just finished getting treated by the physician, and Yu Liang caught the cold glint in her eyes at the sight of the group. 

 

“Greetings Sect Disciplinary Guard Ma!” Nearby passers respectfully called out to the leading man of the group. 

 

A stout-faced man with the look of a ruffian stepped forward, heading towards Li Qiuyue at once. He had obviously known who she was. Most people would recognize the impressive new sect disciple from the sect examination. 

 

Yu Liang’s eyes flickered between the two figures, one imposing and obviously strutting about to showcase his power and the other had a stubborn coldness about her that was also quite imposing.

 

The person beside Sect Disciplinary Guard Ma was quite familiar. It was none other than Ma Chang! He sported a sorry figure with his various scrapes across his face and his arm in a sling. “Li Qiuyue, so you finally decided to show yourself! I hope you are ready to face the guilt and retribution from your actions!” 

 

Sect Disciplinary Guard Ma kept a haughty and superior expression matching his younger nephew’s as he spoke. “Outer sect disciple Li Qiuyue, you’ve caused the death of your fellow disciples and will be subjected to the proper punishment before being expelled from the sect.” 

 

Yu Liang was so distracted by sudden dogblood drama that when sipping the hot medicinal tea, he accidentally burned his tongue. 

 

“Aiya!” Yu Liang’s tongue was numb as he hissed from the pain. 

 

Everybody turned to look at him. 

 

“...Yu Liang?” Ma Chang squinted his eyes and was shocked to recognize the underling that had disappeared during the fight with Li Qiuyue in the woods. He had thought that this weak thing had probably died in the stampede! 

 

Yu Liang cursed his clumsiness. A cannon fodder’s existence was easily forgotten, and he could’ve remained as wallpaper; but now that he’d accidentally drawn attention to himself… 

 

“Umm, hweetings senior bwother Ma.” His tongue was still a bit numb from the hot tea causing a bit of a lisp. 

51