Chapter 10: Cannon Fodder vs. The Protagonist Halo
2.5k 11 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sect Disciplinary Guard Ma looked at Yu Liang with a frown. He recognized the name as one of the people who Ma Chang said had died in the woods. Their plans are going to be a lot more difficult now that this Yu Liang is actually alive. The older man shot his nephew a dark glare. 

 

Ma Chang seemed a little flustered. He could tell that his uncle was annoyed at him, but what to do? He hadn’t really expected Yu Liang to still be alive! 

 

“Y-You…” A sudden idea flashed in Ma Chang’s mind. “You must’ve conspired with Li Qiuyue to kill the other disciples!”

 

Yu Liang almost bit his tongue from surprise at the sudden accusation. This was the fate of a cannon fodder! His life and death was so easily tied to the fate of others! He was just about to speak up when a figure came barging into the medical wing. 

 

“Nonsense!” 

 

It was Wang Jin!!

 

The puppylike senior brother had cheeks flushed red with anger as he stepped forward. “This disciple can vouch that junior brother Yu and junior sister Li did no such thing!” 

 

Xu Ming silently followed after Wang Jin, his strong straight brows pressed together in a dark glare. His hand was gently placed on Wang Jin’s shoulder. “Jin, take a breath.” Then that originally gentle gaze turned black as it looked at Ma Chang. “I’ll deal with them.” 

 

“Brother Xu…” Wang Jin said in a frustrated tone, looking quite wronged. His hand tightly gripped the sleeve of Xu Ming’s clothes. It was obvious that he was quite angry and upset. 

 

!!!

 

Yu Liang’s gaze was filled with the sight of Xu Ming comforting Wang Jin. His heart began to beat quickly at the sight of what was a loving gong protecting his family’s shou. A heat spread through his body, and his face began to burn with excitement. 

 

Ma Chang and his uncle looked quite shocked at Wang Jin and Xu Ming’s sudden appearance. It was obvious by the latters’ clothes that they were inner sect disciples. How had Li Qiuyue and Yu Liang become acquainted with such people? 

 

“Distinguished disciples, I am merely acting in accordance to the sect rules.” Sect Disciplinary Guard Ma suddenly changed his tune. His previous haughty appearance had been exchanged with a slightly nervous smile and demeanor. “In regards to the safety of the other disciples, it is this lowly one’s duty to take preventative measures against any possible dangerous threats.”

 

“So based on the accusations of one disciple, you are going to punish and expel two others without a sect elder’s approval?” Xu Ming spoke calmly, but his words were like sharp darts that easily poked holes in the other’s logic. 

 

“This matter has already been approved by Sect Elder Cai.” Sect Disciplinary Guard Ma sounded confident, but his facial expression looked a little bad. He had been forced to pull out his trump card so early! 

 

Yu Liang recognized that name. Sect Elder Cai was one of the four sect elders in the Mountain Wu sect. He remembered that in the novel, Sect Elder Cai was the weakest of the elders, and due to his inferiority complex, he was a bit corrupt in morals and easily bribed by money. 

 

“Then where is Sect Elder Cai?” Xu Ming inquired calmly.

 

“What do you mean?” Sect Disciplinary Guard Ma furrowed his brows. “Sect Elder Cai is not here.” 

 

“You just said that Sect Elder Cai approved of your actions, but it is clear that you had just now accused junior brother Yu of conspiring with junior sister Li to kill the other sect disciples. Did he also approve the punishment and expulsion of junior brother Yu or are you, a sect disciplinary guard, wielding the power and authority of a sect elder at your own discretion?” 

 

“I don’t dare!” Sect Disciplinary Guard Ma looked horrified at the accusation. He grit his teeth in frustration. 

 

“Then let us bring this matter to Sect Elder Cai and see what he says.” Xu Ming finished. 

 

“But uncle-” Ma Chang looked to the older man with an upset expression, but upon noticing his uncle’s fierce glare, the words in his throat were swallowed back down. 

 

Yu Liang sighed. Such was the fate of a cannon fodder when fighting against the protagonist halo. Li Qiuyue hadn’t said a word, and yet the white knights of the harem had already stepped up to defend her. But he also had no pity for Ma Chang and his uncle because they were the ones who were deliberately making trouble for a single girl. He really didn’t understand this logic. 

 

As Xu Ming and Wang Jin had a glare off with Ma Chang and his uncle, another disciple had already left to fetch Sect Elder Cai. It wasn’t long before a thick round-bellied middle-aged man stepped into the medical wing. 

 

“Greetings Sect Elder Cai!” 

 

The middle aged man had a protruding belly, and his face was plump with cheeks that pressed down upon his lips that made him look forever frowning. 

 

Sect Elder Cai looked thoroughly annoyed at having been bothered, but when he spotted Wang Jin and Xu Ming, he recognized them immediately. These were none other than the two inner sect disciples with great prospects that Sect Elder Wen was cultivating! He could not afford to offend them here! 

 

“Aiya, disciple Wang, disciple Xu, how may I assist you two today?” Sect Elder Cai suddenly smiled courteously. 

 

“Greetings Sect Elder Cai.” Xu Ming and Wang Jin cupped their hands respectfully. 

 

Xu Ming was the one who spoke up first. “Sect Elder Cai, this disciple apologizes for troubling you.” 

 

“No such thing, no such thing! If this elder can help you, then I shall do so gladly!” 

 

Sect Disciplinary Guard Ma saw the exchange between them and gave his nephew an even more furious look. It was obvious that these two inner sect disciples could not be messed with! As a person with some authority, most disciples tend to give respect to a sect disciplinary guard, but a sect elder was his superior; and now his superior was even being so amicable and accommodating to these two! 

 

Yu Liang gently blew on his medicinal tea, sipping it lightly. It was a little bitter but no longer as scalding hot as before. He didn’t realize that he had completely entered viewer mode, and he was now watching the whole ordeal take place as though it had nothing to do with him. 

 

Li Qiuyue had been silent during the entire thing. Not because she was scared or frightened, but because she couldn’t be bothered to argue with such idiots. Her breath and energy was better saved for the revenge she had planned. Her gaze flickered over to Yu Liang, observing the latter with mild interest. The previously fumbling and naive-seeming young man now looked calm and composed. His long slender fingers cupped the tea as he drank and watched the chaos with barely a flicker of emotion in those black eyes. Her gaze darkened, and she internally took note that this Yu Liang was not as simple as he seemed… 

 

Meanwhile, Yu Liang continued to watch the dogblood drama casually; completely unaware of the misunderstandings surrounding him.

 

 

62