Chapter 95: Visit the hospital
1.5k 8 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To read up to 15 chapters ahead: https://www.patréon.com/SlyOW

-------------

Minato looked out the window and said, "We lost many men, but we were able to stop the initial invasion of every village."

"That's a relief."

Minato nodded, before asking, "I know you just came back from quite something, but are you ready to go to another battlefield?"

I shrugged and replied, "Sure, it's my duty as a Jonin after all."

Minato smiled at that, and said, "Suna was rather easy to defend against, as it turns out they did not even use their Jinchuriki, meaning they either have poor control over him or they were overconfident. However, Iwa's side was little more difficult."

If I remember right, then Kakashi and Guy were to deal with the two Jinchurikis of Iwa, and they had the support from the Uchiha Clan, as well as Danzo.

So I asked, "Did any of our top fighters die?"

Fortunately, Minato shook his head, before explaining, "Not that bad. However, quite a few of them were injured. Iwa knows that, and I'm afraid they will try to launch another large scale attack."

Understanding where he was going, I said, "You want the Owl to show up, and scare them. My reputation must have spread more than I thought."

Minato scoffed, "You have no idea. Kumo pulled back their troops and don't dare to come back without the reinforcements from Kiri."

I smiled and asked, "Should be enough to truly qualify for the position of Jonin."

Minato smiled back, "Still having my considerations."

I rolled my eyes, before asking, "When should I go then?"

Minato's smile faded away as he replied, "As soon as possible."

I snorted, "War."

Minato nodded, "War."

Well, I'm not sure whether I should freak out more over the fact I was feeling apathetic towards the prospect of killing a big bunch of people, or the fact I became an important asset in war at the age of 9.

One may wonder, what is so terrible about the second one? Well, if there is one thing I learned through both of my lives, it is that life always balances out. And it is definitely going to throw something stupid at me.

Sighing inwardly, I sent one last nod to Minato and said, "I'll go later in the afternoon, I have a couple of things to do before heading to Iwa."

Minato nodded in understanding, and said, "Good luck."

And with that I left. I first stopped by my apartment, where I changed out of my Anbu uniform, before immediately heading to the hospital.

"What can I do for you?"

I looked at the receptionist and said, "I am here to ask about Itachi Uchiha. How is he, and is he available for visits?"

Surprisingly, the receptionist did not even look into the database, and instead smiled as she said, "You are not the first person who came to ask today."

Not many people would come, considering most were at off at war. So I asked, "Can I go visit him then?"

The receptionist nodded and gave me his room, to which I immediately walked.

The door was wide opened, allowing me to hear some giggles coming from inside. Peeking in, I saw Itachi laying on his bed, with Sasuke sitting next to him.

As I watched them, I saw Itachi notice me, and his expression freeze for a moment. Taking this as my cue, I stepped in, and Sasuke turned around to look at me.

"Sukaina? What are you doing here?"

I smiled at Sasuke and replied, "Sasuke, it's been a while. I'm here for the same reason as you do."

Sasuke scratched his head and asked, "Aren't you supposed to be out at war?"

Itachi coughed slightly and said, "Sasuke, could you leave us for a moment?"

Sasuke looked ready to argue, but a look from Itachi was enough to make him get up, and walk out with a pout.

Once we were left alone, an awkward silence took place, before Itachi finally broke it.

"About last time… I'm sorry for what I said…"

"Oh shut up you idiot."

I cut him off and strongly hugged him.

"Any stronger and you'll finish the Raikage's job."

Realizing I was holding him a little too strong, I somewhat relaxed, but did not let go. After a moment, I said, "Don't you dare die."

Itachi replied with little humour, "I should be telling you that. I heard everything about the Owl. Facing an army by yourself isn't very wise."

"Facing a Kage isn't either."

"I didn't have a choice."

"Did I?"

I let go of him with a sigh, and slightly opened his robe, to reveal his bandaged chest. Rubbing my hand over, I got a feel of his injuries, and asked with a grim face, "How…"

I found myself unable to finish my phrase, as I realized I didn't want to hear the answer. I was scared of what I could hear.

Itachi did not seem to share the feeling as he said with a monotone voice, "They are sure whether I'll be able to return to the battlefield, if that's what you were asking."

It was.

Fixing his robe, I asked, "Don't you feel sad?"

Itachi tilted his head, and after a few seconds said, "Our… talk, it put things in perspective for me. I realized you were right, so honestly I don't really care. Whether I'm making a recovery, I will be quitting Anbu."

"W-what? I didn't mean for you to quit! I was just angry and said some stupid shit!"

Itachi made an annoying smile as he replied, "No, it's fine. You were right, I did what I did for selfish reasons. Well, not because I was bored, that you got wrong, but my stay in Anbu was useless, hence why I am terminating it."

I remained silent for a moment, before asking, "What will you do then?"

Itachi shrugged, which made him wince in pain, before saying, "If I can still fight, then I will become a more regular Jonin, maybe join Shisui in the Police. I love the village, and I want the best for it."

"And what if… you can't fight anymore?"

Itachi smiled and replied, "I guess I will have to serve the village and my clan in a different way, one that won't endanger my life. But I'm confident I will recover."

Surprised by the confidence, I asked, "Why so?"

Itachi said with a smile, "You took on an army and a Tailed Beast Bomb, and look at you. Wouldn't I be a little too disappointing if I was put out of service by a mere Raikage? Besides, I have something more now, something that would be wasted if I stayed at home all day."

As he said that, his Sharingan appeared, and to my shock, the three tomoe started spinning, to form his Mangekyou Sharingan!

Shocked and struggling to find my words, I asked, "H-how? It was only you and Yugao on that mission, aren't you supposed to experience a deep loss to…"

Itachi shook his head, making me stop, and said, "Nothing of the sort. I simply thought I was going to die, and I didn't want to. I have grown to care about certain things, things I did not want to leave behind so early…"

Silence reigned as our eyes locked, and I spotted melancholy in him. After a few seconds that felt like eternity, Itachi added, "I can't really give a logical explanation, it's more of a guess for me too. All I know is that I woke up with those eyes."

Itachi sighed, and his eyes returned to normal as he asked, "How long will you be staying?"

The mood dying out, I sighed and replied, "I will leave for Iwa later today."

Itachi nodded, looking a little sad, before saying, "Say hello to Shisui for me, I heard he is there too."

I nodded, getting up. Looking at the door, I saw Sasuke sticking his head at the entrance, and quickly try to hide. Smiling, I looked at Itachi and said, "Well, it's about I leave you with your dear little brother."

Itachi smiled back, and nodded, "Good luck."

"Thanks."

81