12-Meetings and greetings
541 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He said nothing, only gentle wind passing as Moby stared back at the elf, “hm... no.”

“Ah, I’ll pay for lessons if-“

“Hold on, it’s not that I don’t want to, but I don’t see the merit for you,” he said, crossing his arms.

‘Merit? But I’ll learn alchemy.’

“Don’t take it the wrong way. It’s just that alchemy requires a full understanding of chemistry and alchemical theory, which I have, but also a natural talent for it, which requires high levels of intelligence and aptitude. I’m sure you’re as smart as you are pretty, being a top executive and Vice-Captain, but I don’t think you have an aptitude for it and besides, you have magic already. Why pursue alchemy?”

Her ears fell slightly with a nod.

“I see so I have no real aptitude for it then, I can’t say I’m surprised I’ve tried attempting transmutation but never receiving results I thought maybe there’s something I’m not seeing but I guess I was just incapable from the start, we gathered those documents for nothing.”

She gave a sad smile and left, “and you don’t have to pay back for the elixir you fight has helped us in other ways.”

‘I’m still going to pay back though,’ he said nothing and watched her leave. Part of him felt sympathy towards her, but it didn’t last long.

“Sigh, I don’t see why she came. Even if something was wrong with the circles she made, there would still be a reaction show she could perform, it but there wasn’t.”

He sighed and went back in. “So, what was that about?”

“They came to apologise for before and ask for something.”

“Hm?”

“Riveria wanted to see if I could teach her alchemy, but she couldn’t, so it’d be a waste of time.”

“Aw, I feel sorry for her and here I thought you would talk about her saving your life with a kiss.”

“That’s not funny and aren’t you supposed to be working or something?” He asked, passing by her and into the hallway.

“Not yet, why?”

“I need to know the price of the elixir she used to heal me so I can pay her back.”

Hestia raised her brow, “I thought she said you didn’t have to,” Moby shrugged in response, “well the price should be around fifty to sixty thousand Valis.”

“Mn, I’ll bring a hundred just in case.”

...

[Dungeon of Babel] [7th floor]

-Shunk!

A dagger stabbed into a war shadow. It turned to smoke, revealing Bell standing there. He picked up the crystal, unaware another one was appearing behind him.

“!” He reacted too late as it swung, but it froze before turning to smoke.

“Geez, Mr Bell, you’re too greedy to be aware of your surroundings,” a child-like voice scolded him as an arrow fell to the ground. A girl walked up to him and picked it up, carrying a bag bigger than herself.

“Hehe sorry Lily I’ll focus better next time,” he rubbed his head and got up, drew out his blade and shot toward the next monster.

“Good luck, Bell!” she cheered from his back. The fake joy in her eyes fuelled the dense boy to push himself further.

...

[Loki familia estate]

Inside a library was a familiar green-haired elf hard at work, reading through a book. Riveria was flipping through books of alchemy, trying to find an alternative for her to learn the craft.

“Hm? What’s this?” Puzzled, she looked at the page showing a red gem, “a philosopher stone and power item believed to be linked to the essence of alchemy, allowing anyone to perform alchemical feet beyond thought possible.”

Her eyes widened reading the page, “why have I only heard about this now?” She flipped the page for more, but that was it only had a one-page entry.

-Knock -knock.

“Come in,” she answered as Loki stepped in with a drink in hand, “hey mama, I was wondering where you were. I heard about you seeing the kid and thought you guys might wanna drink.”

She smiled, sitting across from her. “Whatcha got there?”

Riveria looked up, showing the page to her. “Have you heard of this before, philosopher’s stone? It only has one page, but it says it allows anyone to learn alchemy.”

Loki’s grin disappeared as she poured herself a bottle, listening to Riveria going on about the stone, “Alright stop, Riveria I understand how hard it is for you to know you can’t pursue alchemy and this stone isn’t the way to cope with it there’s a reason it only has one page, history is best left in the past.”

Her voice was firm and unmoving. She even opened her eyes to tell her to stop. “I understand,” she nodded, her ear falling slightly.

-Knock. -Knock.

“Eh, Riveria, there’s a boy here to see you. It’s that guy from the. Dungeon. He said he owes you something.”

“Bring him in here,” Loki shouted as the adventurer on the other side nodded, going through to the entrance.

Moby was outside casually dressed, waiting for a response until the adventurer came to him with a smile. “Please follow me.”

“Cool.” He followed the man, eyeing the place like a tourist along the hall. He crossed a familiar person.

“Moby Tick?” It was Ais she stopped, surprised to see him there. “Is there an issue?” She glanced at the messenger, who shook his head no.

“Why are you here?” she finally asked him.

“To pay back Riveria for the potion.”

“I see is Bell with you?” She looked around, to no sign of him.

‘My god,’ he forced a smile, “no, I came here alone.”

Suddenly a door opened Loki stepped out shouting, “what’s taking you so long? Oh? Ais come here too!”

“Well, there’s the library I have to go to now,” the messenger smiled and left.

Ais and Moby headed on towards the library. Entering, they both met Loki and Riveria sitting across from each other.

“Hey Riveria, I came to pay you back. I’m not sure how much I cost, so I brought a hundred thousand Valis just in case.” Moby plopped it on the table. Loki flashed at the coins while Riveria stayed passive. He turned to leave not before Loki called him out.

“Moby Tick right? Becoming an adventurer not too long ago has a talent for alchemy and had a tussle with the strongest man in Orario and left him running with wound magic can’t heal only alchemy, which you possess, I’m sure.”

‘I don’t like this,’ he exhaled and turned around, “yes goddess Loki?”

“Wow, so formal please just call me Loki, I can tell you’re a direct person so I’ll be direct myself, I’m saying as soon as your reputation will grow familia’s will want to recruit you with a multitude of offers and others by force.”

“Thank you for the warning, but I think I can manage myself.”

“Yeah, like when we first found you,” she chuckled and downed her wine bottle.

“Ais be a dear and close the door properly,” she grinned as Ais did so, making sure their conversation was hidden.

“I’ll be the blunt kid. I want to recruit you myself, but I’m sure you are a stubborn bastard, so I’ll give up on that, but I suggest we help each other out. What do you say?”

“Oh, and how is it we do that?”

“Simple. I need you to use your alchemy to smelt some ores to use something that would be quite hefty if I asked Hephaestus for it, that’s all.”

“And what do I get for this?”

“Simple protection from the other guilds and some money.”

Moby stood there chuckling for a moment before answering, “I don’t think we'll need protection soon and as for money we’re fine where we are.”

Loki’s lips curled as she took another swig of her bottle. “it’d be a shame if by tomorrow everyone finds out about your tussle. I wonder if you’ll be ready by then? Of course, I’m not one to blackmail. I’m a woman of my word.”

“You’re the goddess of mischief.”

“Exactly, but not even I can keep a tight lid on this, but I can give you time before word gets out to prepare, of course.”

“... ah how many Valis?”

“I’d say two million would be worth it. If you don’t want gold, we can exchange it for anything else.”

Moby nodded, “yeah I want wards books on how to make and repair wards.”

‘He’s trying to fix the church’s wards and defence? I guess he did his research then huh,’ Loki smiled feeling she’s reached an accord with him, “we can do that actually I can do you one better and Riveria fixes your church’s wards and you still get the gold to further our partnership.”

“... partnership? That’s not my decision to make. Have the talk with Hestia and not me. I’ll let her know and you can have a meeting with all decisions like that fall to her.”

Loki frowned at his way of trying to end the conversation, but it was Hestia’s church. She’s the head and all-important decisions fell on her.

“Fine, you go tell her and well set up a date to discuss this over,” Moby nodded and turned to leave before she took a book and showed it to him, “by the way, do you know that this is?”

“What is-“ his eyes flared and quickly acted, “I don’t know.”

“Oh, come on kid, I’m the goddess of lies. Try better than that.”

‘Of course, why did I even try to lie in front of a god?’

“You know what this is. Do you know where to find one?” Riveria, who had been silent like Ais, stood up, asking the question.

Unaware of the message, Loki sent to Ais as she held her blade, ready to draw. There was a small rage in her eyes, but she remained stoic and silent.

“Now, now calm down Riveria I’m asking the questions, kid. What do you know about this and have you ever seen or used one before? Don’t bullshit me here.”

“Yes, I know what a philosopher stone is and no, I haven’t used one, but I have seen one. You just showed me what it looks like. Can I see the book?” he asked the goddess, to which she agreed.

“Mn huh,” he flipped through the pages fast but enough for him to get a clear view of each of them, his ability was working every page was fresh in his mind and soon he closed it, “how much for the book?”

“Oh, you’re suddenly interested,” she opened her eyes, judging him for any reaction, “you can have it since we have no use for it.”

Riveria was about to speak up but got cut off by Loki. “so the book is mine now?”

“Yep, what you gonna do with it?”

-Snap! -Fwoosh!

Immediately, he took out a lighter and burned the book.

“Why!?” Riveria lost her composure and shouted, seeing the book turn into ash.

“Sigh this is getting on my nerves you’re a great person I’m sorry you can pursue alchemy, but there is no shortcut and even so it would be just a dream a fantasy a nightmare you would chase a figment of your hope and even if you got it I doubt you would be happy because you won’t love it unless it comes from your heart and effort instead of an item.”

His voice was firm and unmoving, with no regrets for what he did. The elf looked at the ashes, saddened, but soon his words resonated with her.

Seeing that, he smiled and turned to Loki. “Now, may I be excused?”

‘Well, I’ll be damned,’ Loki grinned, “I like you kid, you’re free to go as well Ais I’ll send someone over to talk a meeting date.”

He bowed and left the library and then the estate. With Ais following behind.

“I’ll say he surprised me by burning the book, but he’s not a good liar,” Loki chuckled and left the library, leaving Riveria, who was busy with her thoughts.

19