Quirky Exposition
1.2k 24 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The walk to the exam hall thankfully went much smoother than our initial encounter and conversation flowed easily between the three of us. I had to be a bit vague when the topic turned back to my quirk which allowed our meeting, mostly for time constraints rather than any desire to keep it a secret.

“My quirk was a hybrid of several categories, actually. Primarily accumulation, transformation, emission and a minor mutation.” I say wagging my tail at her, making her chuckle. “It allows me to perform a variety of techniques using a special type of energy I can harness that I call Ki. I can increase it through physical training and meditation normally but it does spike on rare occasions, though I haven’t figured out why.” I explained. 

It was a bit more complicated than that, not to mention it being more a side effect of my quirk rather than the actual description. Still seeing as I doubt I’ll use the main ability ever again, it didn’t make much of a difference.

“Heeh~ That sounds really versatile! Kind of reminds me of some of those pre-quirk era martial arts manga! My quirk isn’t nearly as versatile but it’s still pretty good I think. I can affect the gravity of anything I touch. I can go anywhere from zero gravity to uhhh…actually, I don’t think I’ve ever tested how high before? Ehehe~” She gave an embarrassed laugh while rubbing her head. “I do know I can at least triple it though!” She finished proudly with her hands on her hips. Looking awfully smug. 

Personally I was absolutely amazed by her quirk. There were so many rescue applications to be found working in zero g’s, not to mention she could essentially instantly subdue any villain so long as she could touch them. I could totally see her becoming one of the top 10 in the future with the right training. 

Speaking of…

“Then could you help me with my training!” I nearly shouted once a single possibility crossed my mind. 

“W-What do you mean?” She asked, visibly startled at my sudden intensity. No time to worry about that though. 

“With your quirk! Increased gravity. I’ve been trying to find a way to increase the strain I'm under when training for years now! The best I could get was a prototype from some up and coming genius that added about half your body weight but that kind of weight is next to nothing for me now! With your help I might finally be able to start making better progress!” I got closer and closer to her even as she backed away until I was one step away from those beautiful hands of hers-

“Ahnn~” Only to suddenly let out an embarrassingly girly moan and nearly collapse where I was standing unable to move. 

“Eh!? Are you alright, Kayle!? What happened!?” Ochako, the saint she is, kneeled beside me despite the flush on her cheeks increasing, likely from the previous moan. 

“Sorry about that. She can be such a handful sometimes, especially when it’s about training. It’s just about the only way to get her out of her shell when she’s not transformed.” Melissa says, voice laden with exasperation and a firm grip around my tail. 

“B-But is she alright? What happened?” Ochako asked worriedly. Unfortunately I wasn’t in a position to reassure her just yet. 

“Oh, no need to worry about that. She’ll be fine. Probably just tripped or something.” Melissa said evadingly, something I was thankful for. I may like Ochako but there’s really no need to tell everyone I like my greatest weakness. 

Thankfully Melissa hadn’t pulled on my tail too hard so I was able to get back up in about half a minute or so, much to Ochako’s relief. 

I shot Melissa a stink eye but didn’t directly challenge her on what just happened. I was the one at fault for getting too excited, plus the issues with the weights was kind of a sore point for her. As a genius inventor herself, the fact that I had to go to someone else for my problem really grated on her. 

I’m pretty sure her only reason for coming to UA in the first place instead of staying back home with dad was because she found out her self-proclaimed rival was attending this year as well. Personally, I just think she has a crush on the girl, but it’s none of my business. I am looking forward to meeting Mei in the flesh though instead of just video chatting.   

“Sorry about that, Ochako. But what do you say, can you help me?” I asked a bit shyly after embarrassing myself like that. 

“It’s no big deal, I totally understand. And of course I’ll help you! That’s what friends are for, right. Plus helping you train will help me with my quirk too.” Ochako said with an infectious bubbly smile. 

Friends huh? I never was really good at making friends, even back in America I only had two. We kind of lost contact once we moved to I-Island and after that my friend group was practically non-existent. It’s kind of hard to make friends with a bunch of would-be scientists and inventors when you’re better at the more physical side of things.

That’s not to say I was isolated or anything, especially with how forward and attractive my transformed self is. It’s just…things never went anywhere is all. I had acquaintances at best.

“Thank you.” I said, giving her my best smile. Just meeting Ochako has made choosing to come to UA worth it. Still, I wasn’t expecting Ochako to suddenly go so quiet and just stare at me. Was it something I said? 

“Err, everything alright, Ochako?” I asked, turning to walk backwards while wagging my tail in front of her face. We just entered a corridor that directed us to the venue for the written exams. Only one person was in front of us since we were getting pretty close to the time and most of the other students were already there. We’d probably be splitting up with Mel pretty soon, thankfully, since the only thing she was good for at the moment was laughing at my expense.

“Ahhh! Yup! Everything's AOK! Umm, what about you Melissa, what’s your quirk?” Ochako suddenly unfroze, giving me a thumbs up before hurriedly turning away to talk to a giggling Melissa. 

“Me? Sorry to disappoint, but I don’t have one. I’m quirkless.” Melissa said with a shrug after getting herself under control. 

“Really? But you’re-” Ochako hinted but left unsaid. “Here for the support course.” Melissa finished for her with a smile. 

“Ohh, I guess that makes sense.” Ochako nodded to herself. 

“Yeah Melissa’s a real genius when it comes to support equipment, just like dad. I offered to use my quirk to help her become a hero but she ended up refusing after finding out how much training she’d have to do.” I teased knowing full well that wasn’t the only reason she ultimately refused. It was the reason we grew so close after all. 

“Please, I just wanted to focus on what I was good at, instead. Plus who’d make you more stuff to break without me around?” She returned with a cute pout, making me chuckle a bit. 

“Yeah, yeah whatever you say, sis.” I said sing-songy, while facing her as we kept moving.

“You said you could help her become a hero even though she’s quirkless? Wow, your quirk really is versatile, Kayle!” Ochako praised me sincerely, making me blush a little. It wasn’t that amazing…just one of my abilities that lets me unlock the hidden potential in a person. 

Spoiler

[A/N: Now, I wasn’t going to give her this ability at first, but during my research I found out that the original Son Wukong A.K.A The Monkey King, actually had the ability to transfer knowledge of anything he knew to others. At first I was going to use that but I think that would have really gotten out of hand with what I have planned, so instead she can do potential unlocking. Generally this will just improve someone’s quirk to a degree, but for a person without a quirk…]

[collapse]

 Unfortunately, distracted enough to not notice, the only other person in front of us suddenly came to a stop, bumping into them before Melissa or Ochako could warn me. 

“S-sorr-” I go to apologize, seeing as it was my fault for not looking where I was going, only to freeze at the harshest glare I’ve ever received in my life, barring maybe mom. Given it was coming from a cute girl on top of that…well, suffice to say any confidence I may have gained from making friends with Ochako, instantly disappeared. 

My body heating up a bit, and my underwear suddenly feeling a little damp was completely unrelated. At least that’s the story I’m going with. 

The girl was a rather short, maybe just over 5 feet, pale-skinned beauty. Her straight black hair, tied into low pigtails that stopped at her budding chest, also had side bangs with a few loose short strands over her forehead. Her light-blue eyes were cold as they glared daggers at me. Her slender frame yet athletic physique clued me into the hours she must pour into her training.

She wore a long white shirt that went past her waist with tight black spandex compression shorts that reached her upper thighs. Black fingerless gloves, purple socks, green shoes, and gold hair clips for her pigtails.

All in all? This girl was also totally in my strike zone! So much for my social endurance…

Gonna take me a while to get use to the different format on this site, but I can already tell you guys it's much more user friendly than WN. Also thinking about making the chapters longer. They'll be less frequent but they should flow a little better. Let me know what you guys think.

35