Chapter 198 – The Prince’s Folly
383 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

AN: Sorry for the delay, I have been playing a lot of Palworld and Stardew Valley the past few days. I binged a bit because I had not played any games for a while.

============================================

 

Coming over the mountains to the west of the imperial capital, we stumbled into a terrible situation. Contrary to what Myui told us, the capital was not at peace and was surrounded by a disgruntled vassal state’s army. Trapped in between the capital’s walls and the vassal state army were the displaced imperial citizens from the surrounding areas. While the men and mages manned makeshift fortifications, the women, children, and elderly were pleading for the soldiers inside to let them in.

 

“Damn…I wish Myui’s information was not wrong.”, I said, hearing their cries for help miles out.

 

“Did Myui lie to us?”, Ghislane asked.

 

“No, I believe her maids might have wanted to spare her the heartbreak of knowing the truth. If she knew that the capital was in this state, she would have likely surrendered and accepted her fate. The hope that the Imperial Army would save them was the only thing that kept them from giving up completely.”, I remarked, “We should get moving before the fighting starts. Once negotiations break down, the civilians will be overrun in minutes.”

 

Spotting a lone tent between the refugees and the army, I made a beeline there to see who was handling negotiations. If Piña was leading negotiations, things stood a good chance of ending well for the refugees but that was unlikely. Given her father’s favoritism toward her elder brother Zorzal, it was more than like him which would end up getting all the refugees killed. 

 

“You cannot be serious, there is no way we will accept these terms!”, someone shouted from within the tent, “This is highway robbery and you know it. We have the upper hand here, you cannot outlast us. Bringing this many men here has left you vulnerable to attacks from other nations. In a few weeks, you will be running home to protect your lands!”

 

“I cannot believe you would willingly sacrifice all these people to avoid paying us reparations for everything you have done to Mudwan!”, an older gentleman spat, “It is hard to believe that the once noble empire has sunk so low. No one will dare follow you again if you do not help your people!”

 

“Haha, why would I care about some mongrels? You are honestly doing us a favor by killing them.”, the first man laughed, “Killing them means I do not have to hear their fucking wailing outside our walls anymore.”

 

Hearing their conversation as we touched down, I shook my head in disappointment. The crown prince was making light of several thousand lives while the enemy was trying to reason with him to spare the innocent people from dying. It spoke volumes about the difference in character and morals between them.

 

“Halt!”, several guards said, pointing the spears at us, “Come no further, Crown Prince Zorzal and the King of Mudwan are discussing important military-”

 

With a wave of my hand, I lifted the men into the air with magnetism and flung them back to their respective sides. Generating an Electromagnetic Shockwave, I blasted the tent apart so we could speak openly in front of everyone. Realizing that some of Piña’s knights were with Zorzal, in chains and almost naked, I glared at the prince with disdain.

 

“This is how a Crown Prince treats his subjects and nobility?”, I mocked him, “Your stupidity, ignorance, and sheer disregard for you people shows me you are unfit to hold your title. Take your goons and be gone from this place immediately. I will deal with you in due time for your treasonous words today.”

 

“Who do you think you are!?”, Zorzal shouted, rising from his seat, “I am heir to the Imperial Throne, and I will not have some unknown-”

 

Since the fool did not want to accept my generous offer, I vaporized him with my Omega Beam. Letting out a scream before turning into atoms, everyone fell silent after witnessing his swift death.

 

“Are you fools going to argue with me too?”, I asked his goons, “Leave the women here, the rest of you can return to the capital with your lives.”

 

Fleeing the area immediately, Zorzal’s party did not even bother taking their weapons with them. Dropping everything they carried, they ran screaming from the scene pleading for me not to kill them. Letting out a frustrated sigh, I broke the chains binding the women and gave them blankets to cover their bodies with.

 

“You are safe now. I will ensure you are returned to Piña’s side by the end of the day.”, I assured them, “As for you, King Mudwan…what are your demands to break the siege and let these people go?”

 

“Given the egregious treatment we have received over the past few decades, I want several million gold in compensation.”, he said.

 

“That is a fair request given they used your people as slaves to further their own country, and forced your proud country into being a vassal state.”, I acknowledged, “Does the payment have to be in gold, or would you accept items of equal value?”

 

“What do you have in mind?”, he inquired.

 

“Precious jewels, magical ore, and food supplies.”, I clarified, “The situation with that bastard God Cedric has likely crippled you the same way it has everyone else, right?”

 

“Are you mad!?”, the King shouted, “He will smite you down for such words!!”

 

Cracking a smile, I shouted several more insults about Cedric into the sky and spread my arms out wide waiting for something to happen. Aside from my group, everyone cowered in fear waiting for his Divine Retribution to come down but nothing happened. Waiting a few moments before raising their heads, the King was confused as to why nothing happened.

 

“Come on you fucking bastard, these people say you will do something so, do it!! I am standing right here waiting for your traitorous ass to come fight me or strike me down.”, I laughed, “Where are you fat pig, show yourself!!”

 

Noticing no signs of retribution coming, the King of Mudwan asked who I was.

 

“None have dared insult a deity like you before. Just who are you?”, he asked, believing I was a lucky madman.

 

“I am Cole Bolt, God of Destruction, Nightmares, and Deceit. I am the one who has come to kill the God of Mischief Cedric.”, I told him with a smile, “Now then, King Mudwan, are the items I listed off acceptable payment for the lives of these people standing in front of you?”

 

Taken aback for a moment, he was confused that I would still agree to pay him given I could wipe his army out with a wave of my hand.

 

“A God I may be, but I still have a human heart. Your people have suffered greatly under Molt and Zorzal, it is time you got your retribution.”, I said, “If you wish, I will happily hand Molt and Zorzal over to you as well.”

 

Regenerating Zorzal with the Omega Force, the stark naked prince took a moment to snap back to reality. Gasping for air as soon as he did so, he looked up at us and screamed like a little girl when he saw me.

 

“You…you killed me!?”, he shrieked, “How am I still alive?!”

 

“Boy, I can kill you as many times as I want and revive just as many too.”, I chuckled, with an amused smile, “Well, King Mudwan?”

 

“For Molt, Zorzal, and several thousand pounds of food we will agree to leave the Imperial Capital in peace.”, King Mudwan accepted, with a wicked smile.

 

“Done.”, I said, targeting Molt and teleporting him to his son.

 

Making him fall a few feet to the ground, Emperor Molt looked around trying to figure out what happened. Discovering that he was outside the protection of his walls, he demanded to know what was going on.

 

“Why are you naked boy?!”, Molt shouted, “What is going on here!?

 

“Father, the King Mudwan would not listen to reason and accept the several thousand gold coins we agreed to pay them to leave. When that did not work I tried offering him some of Piña’s knights, but that too did not entice him. Just as I was about to give up, this man showed up and killed me!”, Zorzal told him.

 

“Are you a madman!? You are alive!”, Molt spat.

 

“He was not just a moment ago.”, I told Molt, “I think your people deserve to watch you die for leaving them out here to fend for themselves.”

 

Snapping my fingers, I dropped a massive surge of lightning on Molt which atomized him and left Zorzal with third-degree burns. Screaming in agony, Zorzal writhed around in pain while his people sneered at him nervously.

 

“I give you my solemn word that none of you will be punished for speaking ill of them. By all means, pour out all your disdain and hatred for them now. By the end of today, Piña will be your new ruler and they will be a distant memory of yours.”, I advised the civilians.

 

Given the green light, all hell broke loose as rocks, sticks, and human waste were thrown at Zorzal. Resurrect Molt, I let him enjoy the same treatment as his son for a bit.

 

“I hope you do not mind letting them have the first crack at them. They will be in perfect health before you leave.”, I assured him.

 

“As long as they do not smell like shit, leave them as is.”, Mudwan laughed, reveling in their misery, “You two better get used to it. When we are back in Mudwan, you should expect the same treatment!”

 

Taking the opportunity to hand over the food supplies to Mudwan’s army, the two of us shook hands as our transaction was complete. Approaching the refugee camp, I told them to make sure they rinsed the two men off once they were done. Agreeing to my request, Piña’s knights and my group headed into the capital to find Piña and the Apostles.

17