14 – March of the Elves (2)
97 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Blue and silver banners were unfurled as elven weapons and armor reflected the light of the sun, and the fields of Dor Daedeloth shook with the horns of the elves. Fingolfin lead the march ahead, followed by his host.

I watched the fastness be painted with the marching army from atop a hill, like a mirror they seemed from afar, and the land beneath them grew with life and was blessed.

"Let's join them," Finrod said and rode ahead with his horse, I turned to look back at the green grasslands behind. Unease in my heart as I turned to the land ahead, and it was dark.

The earth was black, and red lava flowed in parts, gloomy clouds in the sky, and far in the darkest depth, I could see the highest of peaks.

There it was, Thangorodrim, three mountains that stood higher than all others in the world. And beneath them lay the greatest of darkness in his fortress of Angband.

I rode behind Finrod as my eyes surveyed around me. I could feel a sickness in the dry hot air, half-buried bones were everywhere, and beneath the earth, I could sense movement.

At every turn, I felt a malicious eye on me, like a lonely man who wanders in a dark forest; There was a presence here, one that sent shivers down my spine and put worry in my heart.

This place made me feel as if all the happiness in the world was gone, cheer seemed like a distant memory, and hope appeared as a fool's dream.

I looked at the elves around me, they were afraid, and yet, they looked ahead and bravely marched on. Because at the very front, Fingolfin rode, and he had no fear, nor any doubt. His eyes were firm, and his back was as tall as a mountain giving courage to all behind him.

It gave me courage, and the sunlight above gave me strength. So I didn't falter.

The closer we got to the fortress, the colder my heart grew even though the air was hot. A certain feeling of sinister malice was directed at me. But most horrible was the feeling of being watched as if eyes filled with terrible bloodlust were on me.

I rode closer to Finrod, he glanced at me briefly and smirked, "Is the great master of fire afraid of a little heat?"

I was annoyed. I pointed behind him and put on a face of fear, "Look, a nameless thing!"

He quickly turned around, his face paler than usual, seeing no such thing, he turned and looked at me seemingly offended. But he was interrupted before he could say something.

The sound of loud horns echoed as we reached the black gates, yet no enemy was in sight. The gates were shut and behind them, I could feel the terrible darkness that plagued the world. It looked haunting and desolate, an intimidating sight.

Yet Fingolfin approached the gates without fear and began smiting against them harshly as trumpets loudly shook the towers of Thangorodrim. As far as the eye could see elves prepared for war blocked the gates. It was a glorious sight.

I felt the vibrations of the loud sounds, filling me with a sense of excitement.

"Come out ye who darkened the world! Come out ye who killed the high king of the Noldor! Come out ye who stole the Silmarills! Why do you hide behind the gates of your Fortress?! Coward!! Come and battle me!" Fingolfin's loud cries reached far and wide.

His furious cries and challenge seemed to go unheard as no answer came. There was only silence.

The elves could not open the gates so they retreated a little, everyone was afraid and uneasy. Fingolfin frowned and came back, he rode towards me and asked, "Can you melt the gate?" He asked.

"I can try..." I said and quickly got close to the gate. Extending my palm towards the gate, I summoned my fire at full power. It flowed like a river, howling and wild, and hit the middle of the gates.

Instantly I felt a little weak but held on to see if I could open them, 'If I can open them, we will march in and fight Morgoth, it will be a terrible battle with many casualties but since he is weak right now we might win. Even if we lose, we can retreat, their soldiers can't come under this sunlight so retreating will be easy. The risk is high but if we win... It's worth taking.'

I held on for a minute and then stopped when the headache and weakness were too much, the middle of the gate had turned bright red but it had not melted. It seemed that it had become soft, however.

"That's as far as I can go." I said and returned, Fingolfin patted me on the back with a smile, "More than enough."

He took the reins of his horse and suddenly rode as fast as he could toward the gate, "Ride with me!" He loudly commanded.

Hundreds of elves on horses joined him, he let out a loud battle cry and the riders behind him joined him, their cry shook the ground and made my heart tremble.

They marched as if the gate was not there, as they reached it, Fingolfin drew his sword and it glowed a light blue color as he collided with the gate.

The gate burst open. A loud sound of metal hitting metal spread as silence descended.

All eyes looked at the black abyss beyond the gate silently.

Sunlight entered the depth of the fortress for the 1st time, and within, many horrors that resided screamed. Their haunting screams made my ears hurt. Many forms crawled around to the shadows, it looked like we had just opened a can of worms.

"Elion Nartur, bring the light of the fire to the depth with me! Today, we wage war on Morgoth!!"

Fingolfin seemed to not know a feeling named fear as he roared. Every elf roared back, their voice shaking the ground and the sky. Their fear had vanished.

All eyes turned to me...

'Wha...What? They want me to go first?!'

The Batte of Iron Prison had begun. Dagor Angband.

Unfortunately, I had greatly underestimated the power of Morgoth. But not all hope was lost...

8