Chapter 234: Dueling Club (Edited)
204 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You mean you want to start a dueling club?"

Dumbledore looked in surprise at Lockhart, who had suddenly come to him about starting a dueling club.

"Yes," Lockhart said, oblivious to Dumbledore's dumb look, "Filch's cat attacker hasn't been caught yet, so I think Hogwarts students, should learn some additional ways to protect themselves."

"But, Gilderoy," Dumbledore narrowed his eyes slightly, with a hint of amusement in his tone, "It's been almost two months since the last attack."

"Perhaps it is because he is afraid of me, an honorary member of the Defense Against the Dark Arts Association!" said Lockhart, pointing his finger at Dumbledore, "But we cannot place all our hopes in my reputation, Albus. There is still a need to increase the students' means of self-defense."

"Well, you're right, Gilderoy." Dumbledore raised his eyebrows, and the amusement in his voice could hardly be suppressed, "I agree, then, when do you plan to start?"

"Excellent!" Lockhart clapped his hands together, "How about tomorrow night at eight o'clock? Besides, I may need a teacher to be my assistant."

"What do you think of Severus?"

Since Lockhart took the initiative to court death, Dumbledore didn't mind digging a hole for him.

"Of course it's no problem!" Lockhart was very happy and agreed immediately, "I originally planned to find Professor Flitwick, but Snape would be fine too."

Actually, Lockhart was just saying that, as a former student of Flitwick's, he knew he wasn't as good as Flitwick, and Professor McGonagall was in his position as Professor Sprout, so not within his target range.

Professor Snape, on the other hand, was different.

First, he was about the same age as Lockhart, and Lockhart subconsciously felt that Snape was no better than him.

Secondly, although they were from different Houses and years, they had crossed paths during their time at Hogwarts, and Lockhart had seen Snape being bullied by the small group of "Marauders," so he had a preconceived idea that Snape was not a threat.

Again, Lockhart had a perception that Snape, a potions professor, was only good at brewing potions and not fighting.

Finally, Snape's slender figure and pale, sallow face gave him a sickly look, so there was no need to worry about him beating him with his fists and feet, as Fish did, without even using his wand.

Snape was also one of the four deans, a much better choice than the Divination or Astronomy professor Lockhart had seen, which would have made him a much more imposing figure.

Things were not going well for Lockhart lately.

He had lost his authority among the students because of Fish's punch, but at least the others had given him some prestige because Fish liked to hear his stories.

However, after Mrs. Norris was petrified at Christmas, Fish's attitude toward him became more subtle, and although he still listened to the stories he told in class, he was not as active in asking questions as before.

Fish's attitude naturally affected the other students, and those who were already unhappy with Lockhart began to find fault with his class, often drowning him out to the point of embarrassment.

Lockhart pondered at length in his office before realizing that it was probably his attitude with Mrs. Norris the other night that had upset Fish.

The proof of that was that Fish's attitude toward him had changed significantly since then.

That was why Lockhart was planning to start a dueling club, both to prove himself to the students and to change Fish's opinion of him, after all, the reason he used was to protect himself from the aggressor.

Dumbledore didn't know what was going through Lockhart's mind, or rather, he didn't care what Lockhart had in mind.

A pompous fellow like Lockhart, the more he does, the more he will reveal his incompetence, and this is exactly what Dumbledore wanted, to expose him for the fraud he was.

The only thing Dumbledore was worried about was that it wasn't even Christmas break yet, and if Lockhart misbehaved, he might not even make it to the end of the school term....

'I'll have to talk to Severus and ask him to be a little more lenient.' Dumbledore thought.

After dismissing Lockhart, Dumbledore went to see Snape and convinced him to accept.

The next day, a notice was posted in all four Houses and on the notice board in the foyer, informing everyone that a dueling club would be open tonight.

Students from all faculties were enthusiastic about the event.

"What is a bereavement club?"

(●?ω?●)

Fish looked at Seamus with a twinkle in his eye, the name sounded interesting.

"Is it for everyone to fight together nya?"

"Ahem... It's not the same, it's not the same."

Remembering his incredible punch in Defense Against the Dark Arts class, Seamus choked on his own saliva and quickly explained to Fish.

"True, it's a fight, but everyone can only use wands to fight. The comparison is the degree of spell mastery. It's a magic duel, not a boxing match."

"A magic duel? Fish knows it nya."

?(●ΦωΦ●)?

Fish said excitedly, "I've heard about it from Minerva nya, Filius is good at it!"

The little cat wagged his tail, he was interested in this after hearing so many stories about Professor Flitwick's magical duels, he just never had the chance to try it.... Professor McGonagall forbade him to fight with other students.

Now that he had the chance, Fish wasn't going to miss it.

At eight o'clock that evening, Fish returned to the Great Dining Hall with Harry and the others.

The long dining room tables had been removed and a golden stage had appeared lengthwise, with hundreds of candles floating above it, illuminating the entire room.

All the students from all over the school arrived in the Great Dining Hall and all were grouped according to the original long tables of their respective Houses.

"I wonder who's going to teach us."

They gathered around, chatting and discussing.

"It should be Filius, right? Minerva said he's amazing nya."

Fish wagged his tail and said excitedly, "Fish has always wanted to fight him nya!".

(●?ω?●)

"Uh..." The surrounding Gryffindors were silent for a moment before Sharpay explained, "I'm afraid that's unlikely, even if there was a dueling club, it would be a competition between us students, the professor would only be responsible for correcting our mistakes."

"Never mind, when Fish has defeated them all, then I can challenge Filius to a duel nya."

?(●ΦωΦ●)?

Fish shouted confidently, raising his hands high in the air.

"Well, Fish... you can only use a wand in a magic duel, not your fists." warned Ron weakly from the side.

"Of course Fish knows that, I'm not a fool nya!"

Even without using his fists, Fish was sure he could beat the others, he hadn't heard all those stories from Professor McGonagall for nothing!

The kitten was already a theoretical dueling master!

As everyone was arguing, a fuchsia-robed Gilderoy Lockhart entered the scene, followed by a grim-faced Snape, and....

A Professor McGonagall.

4