The Lost Crypts of Gothmog – Page 98
107 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bridge sways alarmingly from under you when you step on it. You make your way across as carefully as you can, not daring to look down even once.

By the time you reach the other side, your nerves are a wreck, but you gamely walk over to the ruined temple. It is a small, dark, and foreboding structure made of black stone adorned with decaying carvings of grotesque monsters. The entrance to the temple is through a small door that leads into a dark and musty chamber. Inside the chamber are several stone sarcophagi, each containing the remains of a long-dead priest. The walls are covered in sharp metal spikes. The chamber is lit by a single torch, and the only other source of light comes from the small windows that line the top of the chamber.

There is a stone altar in the center of the chamber. On it is a small chest made of some dark wood. You cautiously approach the altar, scanning the walls, floor, and ceiling for traps, but see nothing suspicious.

You unsheathe your sword and use its tip to try to lift open the lid of the chest. You half expect flames to shoot out of the walls, but nothing happens, and the lid doesn’t open. The altar doesn’t seem to be booby-trapped, so you pick up the wooden chest and examine it.

You read the writing on the chest that says:

As I was going to the temple,
I met a man with seven wives,
Each wife had seven sacks,
Each sack had seven cats,
Each cat had seven kits:
Kits, cats, sacks, and wives,
How many were there going to the temple?

The riddle is written on the top of the chest, and its four sides have four buttons where four possible riddle answers are written. Clearly, you are meant to push the correct button to open it. You don’t know for sure, but it’s probable that getting the answer wrong might destroy the item inside.

Press the button that says “1.” (Page 17)

 

Press the button that says “7.” (Page 70)

 

Press the button that says “8.” (Page 48)

 

Press the button that says “2,802.” (Page 24)

1