7. Spiraling downward
1.3k 10 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Interested in my person?", Kaede repeated curiously, head tilted, her messy pink hair falling over one of her eyes, her gaze never faltering from the ghoul investigator.

These words meant many things, all negative in their own way for the horned girl but to various degrees. Putting rice in her mouth she ate and awaited patiently for his response.

"You have been invited to join one of our academies, the most prestigious of the seven in fact and as an honor student.", Kisho Arima said calmly with his usual poker face back on, inching closer, the face of the girl became blank.

And he felt an unexplainable wind whip against his face, damaging his glasses beyond which he immediately changed for a new undamaged pair he took from the inside his trench coat. 

'Two times. Two times I felt this close to the cold touches of death… Two times by this little horned girl. Incredible, terrifying for whoever has her ire.', the Reaper of the CCG thought, remembering the puddle-once-man who killed her father.

Plans for the future in his mind and the way it morphed into the one he had with the One-Eyed Owl. Which also reminded him he will need to inform her about this new variable.

Oh, this seemingly harmless prepubescent girl would play a big role in the future that much he could tell, a new species, the first of her species. 

That was an obvious conclusion, from her medical record, the various ultrasound, radiography, and blood tests and the drastic difference compared to before in them, and her appearance, even if the horn could be easily hidden. 

The CCG already had eyes on her but it was for a very different reason, it was on the fact Kaede was a genius than on her unusual appearance. Malformation happened after all, and crazier ones than a pair of cat-ear-like horns.

One species with at this point unknown and mysterious capabilities. One that will break the status quo between prey and predator, between ghouls and humans. A third party.

"Invited hmm. I don't really have a choice, do I, Mister Special Ghoul Investigator?", the girl spoke bluntly with barely contained anger and resignation, showing that she perfectly understood her current predicament.

He understood how she could feel to a certain degree but her tone and the snarky comment made him frown ever so slightly. However speaking to her was similar to speaking to an adult, not surprising considering her intelligence but it was clear she was also a kid.

And she was lucky he was the first to get to the scene once the police called the CCG, otherwise, Kaede might have been already in a hidden CCG laboratory or the Sunlit Garden as some breeding cattle or worse, her mother killed and everyone knowing her erased from the record… 

And this made his blood boil. The Washuu would never have her, he would make sure nobody could, even himself.

What he did pissed off many high-placed people in the association, but what could they do? 

Nothing, he was too important, too strong, too smart but also very loyal to them. But it wasn't a loss far from that, it just wasn't the 'optimal' result of this unexpected situation they would like.

Sighing, Arima simply nodded at the girl, before leaving the hospital room he said, "Do not worry I will do my best to protect you and your Mother from the one in the shadow."

The following week was unpleasant for both Kaede and her Mom, they didn't sleep in their apartment for an evident reason so they were forced to sleep at the old lady, Aoi's place. 

The funeral of her Dad passed two days after she left the hospital and it was hard, after all this time in this world it was her real Dad, and she loved him. At least she partially avenged him, but it wasn't nearly enough for her. Not even close.

But the most affected was her Mom, she was overworking herself to the bone and in clear depression, she slept less because of regular night terrors and was rapidly losing weight. At least she wasn't scared of her own daughter or was lying to herself about what happened and in denial. 

Even then Kaede was sure she wouldn't be afraid of what she was, that what she dearly believed, though she didn't reveal what she was to her Mom… For reasons, the pre-teen girl with even the experience from her past life has a man in his late twenties failed to truly understand.

Seeing your family being torn apart with no power to stop it hurts and she knew it could only spiral downward from there. 

Then there was the visit of the Principal from the Ghoul Investigator Training Academy of the 1st Ward where she used a promise from her Dad at the refusal of her Mom to her joining this Academy. 

A promise he told Kaede that whatever she wishes to study as long as she could enter her parents will fully support her. She wasn't proud of what she did, she was a horrible person but the CCG was essentially the government and as long as she lacked power she could but comply, even with cold shimmering anger, unstoppable fury, and pure hatred in her heart. 

She knew she was manipulated into doing this and whoever was responsible as his-her days counted, she would rain Hell on Earth if necessary. 

But she will use this opportunity to grow stronger, and it's not like she was alone, the CCG's Reaper seemed to be an ally and also probably the utter psychopath and mad woman, naturally born one-eyed ghoul Eto Yoshimura.

 

"Here sweetheart, you must be famished.", an aged feminine voice rang out, snapping Kaede out of her reverie. Turning around she was met with the brown eyes of Aoi, fear hidden deep within them.

"Are you scared Gran?", she asked the old lady who froze for a short moment before placing the tray with a plate of homemade cookies right from the hove, warm milk chocolate, and green tea. This last part wasn't for her.

"I… Yes. You terrify me… Each time you look into my eyes I feel as if a beast was going to leap at me and reap my guts out. But you aren't a monster, the man who did this to your Father was. I know that sounds corny but you must stay strong.", the old woman said, and hugged the pink-haired girl, even if her every instinct screamed at her to run.

"Thank you.", Kaede with closed eyes mumbled almost inaudibly as she was retaining her own instinct from killing the woman behind her.

'But that doesn't the fact change that I'm one.'

54