Chapter 17 – The Cloaked Figure
56 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tang! Tang! Tang!

Inside his smithy, Goibhniu contemplated while striking a metal lump on the anvil. The sounds were resounding, but thankfully, the smashed window had repaired by itself in moments.

Tang!

A magnificent engraving of a mountain adorned the smithing hammer. With each strike, the engraving lit up, and the metal block underneath was slowly flattened.

Meanwhile, sweat dripped down from the one holding the hammer. But, it was hard to tell if it was from physical labour or thinking.

“He must have been from the Hidden Shadow. Like a disciple!”

Tang!

“But, why would a Hidden Shadow disciple brave the risk of appearing before us?”

Tang!

“And how did he find us?”

Tang!

“He was so weak, too. Like a speck of dust.”

Tang!

“Unless that was an illusion to let our guards down?”

Tang!

“ARGH!”

TANG!

With a frustrated roar and a heavy swing, the hammer sailed down to pierce through the metal lump. However, ripples like water spread and graciously curved the metal upon contact. The result was an outstanding outer breastplate sheeting.

The smithing hammer turned into wisps that seeped back into Goibhniu’s forearm, and a vivid hammer tattoo reappeared.

“How did he know about our safe word…?”

Goibhniu’s head shook off the thought and stepped out of the smithy. He headed to Circe’s lab, opened the door, and was about to get Circe’s opinion.

“COME, MY LITTLE STEROIDS, BE REBORN!!!”

Goibhniu froze as he watched Circe cackle over an ornamental cauldron.

Kaboom!

Goibhniu shut the door in time for the explosion to rock it. He felt his heart leap in his chest, but it wasn’t from the failed pill explosion.

“Shoot! I knew it wouldn’t work without the slime cores to stabilize them.”

...

Goibhniu tip-toed across the floor and quietly shut the door to the smithy. Back inside, Goibhniu breathed in the heavy metal scent and naturally relaxed. Then, inspiration struck Goibhniu.

“Right, he’ll be back with slime cores. I’ll wait until then and accidentally crush him and the cores!”

Goibhniu’s brows creased.

“Wait, he was getting the slime cores, right?”

The sweat on Goibhniu’s forehead came out again.

 


 

Ding!

Quest Accepted.

The sound of an accepted quest rang out in Novus’ ears. Despite Goibhniu’s worry, Novus intended to do the quest no matter the cost.

Perhaps I can repay them now for their help in my previous life. My future life? I’ve never actually time-travelled before.

Unknowingly, a small pep filled Novus’ step as he continued towards his original destination: the artisan hub. The stat increase from powerful equipment would likely assist him in getting the slime cores for Circe.

As he walked, Novus summarized his circumstances.

So, I’ve regressed to the point that the covenant has only just begun, in my previous world, Angrea, in a random area called Avalan. I’ve never seen nor heard of this place called Avalan, but from what Goibhniu mentioned, this isn’t the mainland.

??? says that Avalan is an island.

Right… an island filled with native freaks.

Proving Novus’ point, a player nearby was pinned down by a town guard after trying to steal from a nearby NPC.

Yeah, the players are to be avoided.

Novus slipped through the forming crowd and continued his steps.

The magical laws remain the same, except for Solace and the whole system, which seems to bypass many things. At the very least, that means that my previous skills should be able to translate over too. At least when I figure out how to incorporate them with a human body.

Novus ducked as a player was thrown out of a nearby shop by a bodybuilder-of-a shopkeeper.

“…And stay out, thief!”

Gaining power is more challenging, but it shouldn’t be impossible. First, I’ll need enough resources to begin my triad of aspect refinements.

The previous thief quickly escaped into an alleyway, where he was greeted by a gang of players that ambushed him. The thief must’ve been unlucky in their last life because soon, he turned into twinkling lights that headed off to the nearby church. The gang of players followed, intent on killing the thief again.

Secondly, I need to get those slime cores to Circe. That will at least earn me some goodwill with them. After that…

Novus’ steps paused as he finished thinking.

…Well, the heavens are the limit. The timeframe is far back enough that I could... I could change it all. I, I…

“I could change everything.”

The statement reached something in Novus. The resolute will that had caused him to seek out change in his past life relentlessly was beginning to reignite.

At this moment, Novus felt the hairs on his neck bristle. But, it wasn’t from anticipation.

Novus turned his sharp eyes towards the highest level of a nearby restaurant before quickly shifting to a nearby alleyway. His feet turned as a cloaked figure burst from the alleyway straight towards him.

Security has really fallen. Or maybe, it was like this originally?

Novus’ initial guess was correct. The Avalan guards were outnumbered and unable to control the chaotic, reviving players under the banner of the ‘Calamity Devils Guild.’ The jail was getting full, yet more players took their place as the northeastern side of the city was slowly losing control. Of course, nothing drastic had happened, but continuing down a lawless path wasn’t what Avalan’s chief held in mind.

Novus dashed back as his boots crunched dirt. However, the cloaked figure kept on his trail like a speeding bloodhound.

Damn, I’ll have to engage. I didn’t want to create a stir with the guards, but a slight aura should do.

The slight flare of Novus’ Crimson Aura paused the cloaked figure’s steps. But then, they resumed an even faster sprint, like the aura was one giant attractive magnet.

How—

Perhaps, Novus overestimated his abilities, or maybe the cloaked figure was just that talented. Because, when Novus reached for his weapon, the cloaked figure abruptly accelerated and grabbed his hand.

Novus’ eyes opened wide, and he tried to defend against the inevitable attack. However, it never came.

Slump.

Novus’ other arm, which would have grappled in defence, was held onto as the figure collapsed into his body. Then, Novus heard an ominously low hum as numerous word boxes appeared.

The ability Oblivion Aura is attempting to erode your body.
The ability Player’s Body has activated and negated the eroding effects.
The ability Player’s Body has automatically initiated a counterattack and will consume all available mana.

Novus’ face filled to the brim with confusion as he felt the mana circulating in his body drain away. Heavy fatigue washed over him as vivid chain markings appeared on his skin.

If Favur were here, she would exclaim that the vivid chain tattoos were the same hateful chains she had met in the strange caverns.

Don’t decide things on your own!

Novus was none the wiser as he felt a burning sensation from the hand that latched onto him. Clustered in the cloaked figure’s grip were small, purple-tainted white flames that attempted to burn away his skin. Worse yet, Novus felt the urge to collapse envelope his body as he rapidly weakened with each passing moment. And, based on the attacker’s heavy breaths, they weren’t faring any better.

I’ve got to get out of here.

Novus gazed around, and his eyes brightened at a nearby inn. It wasn’t ideal, but Novus couldn’t be picky.

Novus attempted to pry off the hands gripping him, but quickly gave up. Instead, Novus painfully shifted the cloaked figure onto his back and hobbled towards the inn.

Slam!

The players and NPCs in the inn were startled as Novus held little time for social graces. Quickly throwing his coppers towards the innkeeper, Novus just picked a random room.

Thankfully, the room wasn’t occupied.

Meanwhile, the innkeeper looked less than impressed as he got an ominous feeling. He already had a few run-ins with chaotic people these days and felt exhausted every time he saw new ones show up.

“Hopefully, they aren’t too crazy and break my prized vase.”

 


 

From inside the highest level of the restaurant Novus had peered to, an obese man shifted in his seat. Despite filling his mouth with the restaurant’s most luxurious dishes, the obese man seemed ready to consume their entire food supply.

From the side, a restaurant employee gathered a stack of plates piled ten each from the table as more food came out to resupply.

“I suppose this employee will be eaten too.”

The grumble from the obese man made the employee tremble and place the plates beside the table.

Off to the side, a suave young man waited patiently with his leg propped against the wall like a mafia member as the server whizzed past him. The folded arms and strand of untucked hair added to the rough persona as he crudely spoke.

“So? He the one?”

The young man would have been prime mafia boss material if not for the clean butler attire he wore.

Shatter!

The obese man knocked over platers and shattered cups as he abruptly twisted his body to the overcrowded table of meals. The obese man replied with a fantastic talent for talking clearly with a mouth full of food.

Munch. Munch.

“The red-haired one, I think. Hard to tell when they’re so weak. Regardless, that means it’s time, Mercury.”

The suave young man, Mercury, acknowledged the man’s response with a grin.

“Alright, I’ll go prepare things. Keep eating, fatty.”

Mercury avoided a flying chicken leg as he fell back to the floor. However, the expected thud didn’t appear as Mercury’s body sunk into the shadows beneath him. In mere moments, Mercury disappeared.

“He knows my name is Gula….”

The obese man, Gula, twirled his finger, and the thrown chicken leg flew back into his hand like Mjolnir. Then, with a savage bite, Gula looked out the window to the only visible mountain on the island. A slight shiver ran down his back which urged his eating pace faster.

“I’ve got to eat much more if I’m to face her soon.”

2