Chapter 68 – Success?
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Novus was alarmed as he watched the changes happening within his body. He could control the particles fusing into the barrier and causing it to solidify. To an extent, the rotation and shrinking of the barrier and inner core were also a part of Novus’ control. Though the rotation started to spin faster than Novus wanted, it was within his control.

However, the ambient mana particles tumbling in from the outside were not a part of Novus’ plan.

Novus had to think quickly since the translucent barrier of the needles was wavering. Evidently, it was becoming too much as numerous mana streams poured into Novus’ body.

Ack!

As Novus’ thoughts raced, he called out in his mind.

Summon Aeon! Summon Favur!

Sway.

Novus’ body nearly fell over as a large portion of his soul power was used up in a moment of weakness. However, a semi-corporeal hand prevented Novus from falling over as Favur did her best to keep the now-vibrating needles in Novus’ body from falling out.

When Novus felt the hands on his back, he immediately switched his attention to the spiralling mana in his developing mana core.

Mana flew in from outside channels across Novus’ body as it raced towards his core to be absorbed. Thankfully, the channels were somewhat stop gapped by the needles, but the torrent of mana particles seeped through seemingly anything. At first, the particles acted the same as the previous wind mana particles and were transferred into Novus’ mana core. However, Novus quickly switched to attaching to the outside prism mana barrier as the inside solidified and became denser and denser.

Typically, when the inner core met with the barrier of prism mana and was condensed to a certain point, the core would stop rotating by itself, signalling the end of the cultivation session. However, Novus’ developing mana core resembled Mino and was like a black hole that endlessly sucked in everything.

Flutter.

Favur’s fox-like eyes opened, and the ambient mana charging towards Novus met with a secondary slowing barrier around them. Now, the mana around Novus was slowed to a light jog rather than a dash, alleviating Novus’ burden.

Aeon was no slouch despite the wind mana hurting its form inside and out due to the ingested Perennial Wind Flower. A wide-open mouth with small jutting fangs greedily sucked in the mana flowing into the cave. As Aeon absorbed more mana, his scales rapidly darkened from their initial cobalt to a much deeper navy blue.

Mino was doing its best to transmute the outside mana within Novus’ body. Unfortunately, it had little experience with cultivation, but the experience it did have was from the top-tier powerhouse, Edna. Thus, while Mino couldn’t provide much relief from the mana outside, it excelled in the basics.

Crack. Crack!

The ground around Novus began to crack as the pressure surrounding him was too great for it to stay whole.

...

Warning! Overload of mana imminent.
Warning! Overload...

Despite all of Novus’ actions to ensure smooth cultivation, the system was convinced that Novus’ limits were beginning to appear.

Crack!

Novus' skin around the needles began to crack open like arid desert soil. Blood dyed the needles a superheated red as Novus felt his body erupt with sudden, fierce heat.

Then, unconsciously, Novus inhaled deeply, opened his mouth, and lit a small flame from the center of it. It was an unconscious reaction based on his memories of being a dragon.

Novus felt the bones in his body creaking against the pressure of hundreds of mana particles all trying to enter his body, and he let out an agonizing roar that directed the mana particles out of his body.

“AHHH!”

At the height of the scream, the small flame extended out of Novus’ mouth and turned into a jet stream reminiscent of Alto’s condensed beam of wind mana. The jet stream grew bigger and bigger until it reached the cave opening and incinerated the mist surrounding the area. By the end, Novus’ terrifying flaming roar had travelled at least tens of meters outside the cave and into the misty sky like an angry dragon unleashing a torrent of fire.

Fortunately, the flames didn’t manage to travel any farther before they all gathered and condensed into a small circle inside one dainty hand.

“Like looking after a child.”

In the sky, Edna’s blue dress flowed with the breeze as she merely closed her hand and winked the flaming roar out of existence.

“The little rascal breaks my seal and thinks he’s invincible.”

Edna’s piercing eyes looked at Novus using her powerful sight and grumbled.

“Now here I am solving your problems….”

With a single step, Edna disappeared from the sky.

Where she went or what she was doing vanished alongside her.

 


 

Light reflected through windows resembling stained glass. But, the magic within them portrayed moving pictures like a movie. Yet, the light was evenly cast upon the space inside.

The archaic windows told a history richer than the world and would be sought after by any scholar in Angrea. They were rowed to cast the most light at one central point: an entirely black sarcophagus.

The sarcophagus showed the withered image of a woman surrounded by unclear rays and entrenched with amethysts that flickered with eerie darkness.

Below the sarcophagus was a room entirely of gold.

Whether it be the stainless shine of the grand staircase leading to the sarcophagus, the glittering reflections of the railing, or the golden throne that faced away from the room’s only entrance, they all shone a bright golden colour.

Everything except the sarcophagus was golden, which was why the shadows shifting around and forming a portal were so noticeable.

Thud!

Thud!

Like an eye blinking open, the shadows formed a flat, circular mirror in the air and from within, three figures emerged. Two bodies were thrown, and the last one immediately kneeled after winking the shadowy portal out of existence.

“Reporting back, your majesty. The mission was a successful failure.”

Mercury’s defiant hair curl blocked an eye as he awaited a response.

A gruff voice filled with dignity echoed in the golden throne room as Mercury felt an unconscious pressure envelop him.

“Fuse and explain.”

From beside the throne's shadow, an old man who bore a striking resemblance to Mercury walked out. Without a word, the old man tapped his ancient cane and transformed into a shadow, merging with Mercury's in the next moment.

The kneeling Mercury rapidly aged, becoming a middle-aged man that radiated a sinister aura.

“Gula and I were unable to kill or entrap the dragon slayer, Edna, as planned. However, I have secured an apostle to continue our plans for the Sword Saint.”

Silence reigned in the space after Mercury finished speaking until a golden gauntlet behind the throne threw two gleaming shards toward Mercury.

“One for Gula. One for the apostle.”

Shadows slithered from behind Mercury as he remained kneeling, and they coiled around the shards as they brought them into Mercury’s outstretched hand.

“You may leave, Mercury. Ensure not a person nor soul touches the apostle until she is ready.”

“Of course, your majesty.”

Mercury bowed with uncharacteristic professionalism and carried the two unconscious figures out. Golden doors swung open as the outside of the room was revealed to be a golden nightmare. The layers of golden shine infected everything from the water droplets on a plant to the tall pillars that supported the building.

Arriving at the bottom of the ascending stairs, Mercury put down Adrianne and Gula. Soon, he approached with a Hidden Shadow Shard in each hand that he pressed on each respective forehead. Upon contact, a gleaming purple light that would have blinded regular people for life was released. Polar opposite expressions were seen as Gula’s mouth turned upwards in a satisfied smile and Adrianne’s entire body tensed.

All at once, the blue chains hidden inside Adrianne’s body were activated as they snaked across her skin against the devilish purple light.

“AHHHH!”

A sharpened shadow tendril pierced the hand reaching towards Mercury, and Adrianne’s pained scream rang out.

“Feisty little thing. Sorry, Gula, you’ll have to eat later.”

Gula’s sunny dream of a never-ending feast was only left with scraps as Mercury’s shadow tore out the Hidden Shadow Shard. Then, Mercury’s shadows extended like vice-grips around Adrianne’s limbs as she was fitted with an additional shard in her forehead.

The two pulsating shards in her forehead finally provoked a conscious response from Adrianne as her eyes shot open, and she used her Spirit Eyes unconsciously.

However, a pair of enchanting hands closed her eyelids as soon as they opened, and an equally enchanting voice echoed out soon after. It was the type of voice that would lead your chin to face the origin or search in a crowd of people.

“Mercury, darling, you’re too kind. I can take this beautiful girl from here.”

The hands pressed against Adrianne’s eyes released a fluffy pink cloud-like mana that burned away her facial features.

“AHHHH!”

Adrianne’s screaming heightened in volume for a moment before dark shadows pried the hands and pink mana clouds away.

“She is the king’s apostle. She will not be your plaything.”

Mercury was unusually serious as he harshly condemned the woman who held the enchanting hands and voice. His following words were spoken with a severe tension that warned the others flocking to the bottom of the throne room staircase.

“She. Is. NOT. To. Be. Touched.”

As if on cue, the pulsating shards lodged in Adrianne’s forehead finally broke the contest of strength with the blue chains and an eerie purple light blinded the room.

A dull silence voided the area, and everyone listened to the rustling sounds of Adrianne’s clothes as she got up.

“Hello, everyone. My name is Adrianne. I will be in everyone’s care starting from today.”

Adrianne bowed as she spoke, and her messy, battle-worn hair veiled the temporary scars on her beautiful face.

Voices interlaced with whispers were heard from all around when Adrianne finished her greeting. To all, it seemed like the Hidden Shadow Shards had succeeded in trapping Adrianne in a profound delusion.

However, unbeknownst to everyone, the bowing Adrianne had her eyes flicker with a flash of dark purple flames. However, as she released the bow and stood up, her natural eyes announced nothing to the hall full of enemies.

0