Chapter 28 – The Magic Healer
867 2 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The white space feels much more prominent than before. As far as the eye can see, there is an unpaired blankness that'd be nothing short of isolating if it were black. Solitude is far from what I've been confined to, I can move where I please and look where I please, but somehow I find myself unable to get rid of the two forms sharing the space with me.

 

Ascelin is here, just like before, but his form is much different this time. He looks like an actual person, I can see his rugged brown hair and flawless face. The color of his lips is almost peach-like, and he is clearly taller than I am. 

 

"Ascelin." I give him a polite bow, greeting the inhabitant of my soul. I won't bother asking him any questions, since it's apparent that he isn't the one who called me here. I'd thrown myself into this realm impulsively after repeatedly hearing a voice in my mind. The owner of that voice stood to the side of Ascelin, not too far away from him.

 

"Who the fuck are you?" I can't hide my indignation in this situation. Someone who was not here before has shown up. Her hair is pure white, similar to Anaphiel's. There is a satisfactory discrepancy in their appearances. This woman was tall, the gap in height between her and Ascelin was in a troublesome margin. Her size makes me wonder if she's even a human, peaking beyond 9 feet tall.

 

Her chortle serves to upset me further. "Apologies, I didn't imagine you'd be so adorable! Look at how small your little soul is!" Perceiving my words as something puerile, she doesn't even bother to answer my question immediately. It's annoying that I've become accustomed to this kind of treatment. This isn't the first time my voice has been disregarded. "I am H! You are free to call me Historia—Latin for history, by the way—it's a pleasure to finally meet your acquaintance!" I'll be content with this response since it doesn't seem like I can get her to take this matter seriously.

 

"Alright, Historia, I'm Luck—" Historia cuts me off in the middle of my speech. "—No you're not." She sounds far too dispassionate when she says this. My head tilts sideward, unable to process why she'd change her way of speaking so abruptly. 

 

"...I'm sorry...?" My mind cannot fathom what this woman wants from me now. She invaded my soul, annoyed me amid my important talk with Tachibana, and is now messing with me by insisting that 'Luck' is not my current name. I think back, perhaps she doesn't want to hear this name. "Then, I am Roshia Qin—" Again, I am cut off by Historia. "—No, you're not Roshia Qinlen."

 

Alarms sound off in my mind, fear being the first emotion that surfaces on my face. Historia raises her arms, probably detecting my discomfort. "Calm down, little gal! I didn't mean to scare you, I just know that isn't your name! I'm not your enemy, so please don't be so stiff!" At some point, her sentence continued behind my back. The woman's hand lands on my shoulder, and I cannot will my body to move in protest.

 

"I am just here to make myself known since I'll be inhabiting your body for a little bit. I'm also here to issue a warning to you, as the guardian of history." Avowed gravitas stands behind Historia's statement. "The guardian of history?" Once I can turn in her direction, I can finally see the mature features of her face. Just like Ascelin, she has an unnatural perfection to her appearance, one that'd give her an angelic aura in the presence of anyone else. Though, after taking in Ascelin's memories, divinity and all things attached to it are bad omens.

 

Historia grants me details that disconcert me, rewarding me with an unfamiliar feeling of clarity that comes when learning something new. "Right. I am one of multiple concepts; ideas devised by the god of all things. Each concept is sentient, each has its own ambition and representation based on the concept they're behind. And~! That's as much as I'll tell you." This may be the beginning of a choleric personality birthing with me. I've been given enough information to be satisfied yet again, so I don't think I'll become such a distasteful person anytime soon.

 

"Why would an existence as great as you be rooming in me? I'm sure you have better things to do, don't you?" 

 

"There are two existences that I can reside inside of without manifesting my real body. You are the only one who won't kill me." Concepts being 'killed' sounds utterly ridiculous, and despite being conscious of this fact, my mind makes sense of it. If a concept is sentient and is speaking with me inside of my soul, that means that it may very well be 'living'; 'existing' may suffice as a better terminology.

 

"I'm aware of history, both the past and present—I am aware of all things related to time. That's why I've attached myself to you, I want to avoid the worst outcome. Until you're ready—" This time, I am the one who cuts her off. The tone in her speech is very similar to Ascelin's, who refused to give me all of the important details he'd been hiding from me last time. "—You won't tell me more. I get it, I get it. Look, I'm just a front-row seated onlooker at this point." I've had so much information thrown at me recently that I can't even keep up.

 

I'd been thrown into Shoyca and was suddenly warned about the existence of gods and monsters beyond the realm of human understanding. I was told that I had a special soul, which I shouldn't have been surprised by given the fact that I am supposedly the only individual who can repeatedly return from death. The embodiment of history is standing in front of me, giving me a similar lecture to the one that Ascelin gave me just recently; it's been a month in the human world, but it's been a few hours at most since the last time I spoke with him.

 

"You declare yourself an onlooker?" Beyond Historia's uncontrollable laughter, my irritation steadily rises. I am not so equanimous that I'd be able to remain levelheaded while having every stance and statement I hold criticized and ruined. "Little 'Luck', let me give you a task. Go to the black zone. The unexplored lands of this continent, 'Shoyca', hold many mysteries. Meet Hairo, then you will gain an understanding of how much danger your world is in." 

 

Danger? The mere idea that there is a danger to our world isn't risible, every day we are met with monsters from another world swarming into our own with only malice in mind. Even I can understand that Historia's words promulgate the notion that there is a danger greater than what we see in our daily lives.

 

I open my mouth, prepared to ask her to explain further—I'd have been willing to plead if necessary—though, Historia steals this chance away from me the instant she taps my forehead with her finger. My featureless body crumbles to the ground, my vision fading to end this 'dream sequence' without any formal valediction.

 

As my conscience sails back to my body in the real world, I curse to myself, wondering how much time might've passed. 

 


 

[God of Fortune] must've activated on its own, because not much time has passed at all. Returning to my physical body, I'm still on Tachibana's shoulder, and we are still approaching the tent where Malison should be waiting for us. "If she's upset, I hope you're prepared to suffer the consequences." Just in front of the tent's entrance, Tachibana utters words that invoke as much fear as Historia's insight.

 

"You're joking, aren't you?" I ask, praying that this is just a harmless joke. Malison's anger is something I don't think I can handle, chiefly in my current state. There is a smile on Tachibana's face that told me everything I needed to know. No.

 

My squeals went on for what felt like an eternity. Tachibana's barrier around the tent blocked out the sounds of pure violence that Malison inflicted on me. "Quit running!" In her hand, there was a belt, given to her by Tachibana. I cannot begin to describe how dangerously accurate she is with a belt. It makes me wonder why Malison didn't use a whip in battle when she is clearly proficient with the item.

 

By the end, my back and bottom were both sore. Malison took her anger out on me since Madam Tachibana wasn't an option. I was also to blame somewhat since I'd just left her without waking her up. She stayed by my side while I was unconscious for over a month so I can understand why she might be angrier at me than Madam Tachibana anyway.

 

After the physical abuse, the mood leavened, "I'm glad you're awake." Malison held me in a tight hug for a few minutes. There is an odd warmth in her embrace—I cannot understand why I feel this way about her, there is nothing but distrust between the two of us—somehow I feel comforted by her embrace. I do not trust Malison. Malison does not trust me. Our relationship is founded on mutual distrust, yet although neither of us trusts the other, we can still put our lives in one another's hands.

 

When we've finished our heartfelt scene, Madam Tachibana snaps her finger, triggering an automatic response from the two of us. The control over my body is lifted—the same looks to happen to Malison—and the two of us turn to face Tachibana, waiting for her to speak in silence. "I will keep this short and simple for the two of you. I'm sure you know my plan, but I will make it as clear as possible. We will clear as many dungeons in Shoyca as possible, and then we will conquer the black layer."

 

'Unnerved' does not begin to describe my feelings at Tachibana's words. Does Historia have something to do with this convenience!? No, even if I want to convince myself, I doubt that she has anything to do with this. Tachibana is an enigma to me, even with the little understanding I have of her personality. She may act kind around us, but when it comes to business and her self-interest, I must remind myself that her ability is absolute domination. She can and will get anything that she wishes for, she is a bonafide narcissist.

 

Part of me hopes to deny it, but Tachibana's interest in the two of us had much to do with her narcissism as well. I do not doubt her affection, but it is partly to do with what we can offer to her. I have no room to complain since I'd probably do the same thing if I were in her position. 

 

"Amid all of the chaos, you two will go in and out of dungeons, clear them, and increase your power. When I think you're ready, I'll take you to the black layer. You will find that the monsters there are," she pauses, hesitant to continue, "monstrous in nature."

 

"You've been to the black zone, Ms. Tachibana? I thought that the [S-Ranks] didn't bother going to Shoyca." Malison gives me a side-eye, probably to warn me to stop. 'Thanks a lot, but I've already finished my sentence, Malison. Maybe give me a look before I finish next time.'

 

"Before I became became a [S-Rank], a certain group tried to exploit me to clear out dungeons in Shoyca. I was a [B-Rank] at the time, and I foolishly listened to them and entered the black zone. I nearly lost my life for the first time then, but I managed to hold my ground long enough to be 'saved' by someone." Tachibana uses 'saved' very loosely, I am certain that there's more to the story than what she's revealed.

 

"I've been back and forth a few times in the past, but it's just a bother to stay there. The black layer is protected by a barrier which makes it impossible to see what's happening inside. Inside it is like a dungeon. The reason Shoyca is called a continent is that the vastly unexplored black layer is like a country of its own." Tachibana's explanation tells me that the black zone of Shoyca is like an island within an island; a country within a country.

 

Nevertheless, every crook of my being warns me that going into that place is dangerous. I've not even reached the barrier and I am already doubtful that I can survive in that place that is seen as a dungeon due to its sheer size and hazard.

 

Tachibana sways my discomfort and caution narrowly with her words. "I will be nearby to stop you from dying. If you're in danger, I'll pull you out. We'll have a mage who specializes in healing with us too, seeing that I'm heartlessly throwing you to the wolves."

 

The remainder of our conversation is discussing how we'll tackle the black layer. According to Tachibana, we are still weaker than most [B-Rank] Awakeners, even though both of our stats have risen so exponentially. We're supposedly at the center of [C-Rank] in terms of power, which can be considered growth by a large margin, yet, it is not enough to satisfy my hunger.

 

There are powerful things in the world, more powerful than Malison and I combined. If I want to live comfortably, I'll need to at least reach [A-Rank] before I take them all on. I've been given all of the abilities and powers that I need to combat any threat, all that's left is to refine my strength.

 

"Do either of you—namely Luck—have any questions?" My habit of asking questions has polluted Tachibana's thoughts of me. To her, I probably seem like a clueless child, which would not be wrong, though I still do not like the idea of someone questioning my intellect.

 

I shake my head, even if I did want to ask a question, for the sake of my remaining pride I'll abstain from asking further.

 


 

Avery Whiteherb

 

My eyes face up at the rain pouring down from the sky, which may deceive anyone into thinking that it is night. "Yuri," I call out to my auburn-haired companion sitting against a tree across from me. Yuri is my assistant, a young [C-Rank] tasked with protecting me as I underwent my duties. 

 

"Ms. Whiteherb, you've asked me to kill several Vilebugs now. Although we're in the red layer, I don't know how many times I need to reiterate that they are harmless alone," Yuri doesn't even let me ask what I'd like to, he already knows what I'm going to request from him; to get rid of these minuscule insects crawling around us for the fifth time.

 

Vilebugs are neon-green insects that produce an aura that can incite insanity the longer you're around them. By themselves, they won't have much of an effect on your cognitive abilities, but if too many of them group together, you'll find your own allies attempting to wring your gullet. As a mage who specializes in healing, it pains me to see my patients in a state of madness.

 

While plucking bristles and fronds from my dusty blonde hair, neatly tied back into a ponytail, I retort against Yuri's contumacy. "Must I yank my hair out before you can understand the danger of just one of these vermin?!" I counter, rather dramatically in fact. "Vilebugs can produce hundreds of infants with just one delivery, like a spider! They're also a very united species, just one can lure the attention of many others nearby!"

 

Yuri's face twists in discontent before he responds, "Ms. Whiteherb, I can understand your concerns, but I've killed every Vilebug in the area. If I continue doing this, we'll attract the attention of something far worse than insects. I cannot guarantee your safety against the more dangerous monsters of the red layer, especially as a [C-Rank]." 

 

I can't hold back my laughter at the blatant lie told by Yuri. "Yuri, dear, you can't trick me with rank alone. I've seen what you can do when you're serious, that's why I dragged you from the guild hall and brought you out here!" Yuri is an exception among Awakeners. He does not care for his rank, so he does not bother to get it reevaluated. If my memory serves me well, it's been two years since the last time he underwent an evaluation. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that his power is already converging on the [A-Rank] league.

 

I am an [A-Rank] Awakener myself, by this rank is special. My stats do not compare to anyone's past [C-Rank], yet the amount of proficiency I have in my healing abilities is insane. [Wind Heal], [Poison Purification], [Lust Cleansing]; they're only a few of the skills I've gotten over the last few years I've worked as an Awakener. My skills are so proficient that the greatest healer in the world, [S-Rank] Elizabeth Purich offered to take me under her guild once I turn 18. I only have one year to go before then.

 

"Why don't you just go and get your rank reevaluated? You're sure to earn more opportunities once more people acknowledge you." My curiosity about Yuri's situation makes me want to know even more about him. It's not common for someone to purposely have themselves underestimated by their peers. I've seen Yuri shoved aside, and met with condescending smirks, and he's never seemed bothered by it at all.

 

"If I were to go past where I am now, the center of this world's hierarchy, I'd have too many eyes facing me. My siblings wouldn't be able to live comfortably if their big brother was being chased around by bad people." After reviewing his files, there was a particular detail that stuck out to me. Yuri has four younger siblings, and he is listed as the guardian for all four of them. I brushed it off at the time—as a healer, I've repeatedly seen families torn apart by heartbreaking calamities. I've suppressed these memories as best as I can; the thought of Awakeners causing so much harm to one another, resulting in more harm being done to the innocents around them than each other.

 

Now that I've been enlightened on his motive, the eagerness I had for him to move up in the ranks has been sapped away. It'd be heartless of me to continue urging him to move up in the ranks if even he knows the consequences it'll bring to his family. "I understand, you're making the right choice," I speak in a soothing voice, giving him reassuring a nod. 

 

Our moments of peace come to an end when a jarring pressure finds its way on top of the two of us. It was so sudden that Yuri barely had enough time to grip his dagger by the hilt before the sight of the monsters approaching us from deeper into the forest. "What is it?!" I flounder to my feet like a newborn deer, finding dread in the pressure that only grew closer and closer to our location. "Get behind me!" Yuri orders, and I waste no time complying.

 

I raise both of my hands up to Yuri's back, prepared to give him as many boosts as I can with my abilities. Unlike Elizabeth Purich, I lack an adequate amount of boosting skills. All of my focus has gone into learning and acquiring healing skills rather than support and offense. I'm subconsciously aware that there are no amount of boosts that I can grant Yuri that will prepare him for the enemy approaching us.

 

Theories go through my mind, assumptions of what the enemy can be. A monster from the black layer? I cannot be too certain, but I do know that there are multiple entities approaching us. This feeling isn't like one I've felt from any monster approaching us until now, the ones that Yuri can take down with either one swing or a few minutes of battling. Overwhelming dread encircles the two of us, embracing us to seduce us into accepting the worst.

 

Yuri stands with his daggers drawn, producing an aura that I didn't even know he could. The seriousness on his face outmatched the one I'd seen in the past, this time he focused in, realizing the life-or-death situation approaching us on its own.

 

When the source of the pressure comes into my line of sight, my jaw nearly drops. I put my hand on Yuri's shoulder, stopping him in his tracks before he can move in to attack the enemies. 

 

I'd expected a massive ogre-like beast, maybe even a dragon standing on its hind legs. Instead, what came into our line of sight was Tsukiko Tachibana, the woman who is responsible for summoning us here. The Asian woman walked with elegance, despite being in a place creeping with danger around every corner. Behind her are two unique individuals, if I've ever seen any. One is a young girl with animal features. Canine-like ears and a tail sway from side to side with each step. Beside the girl, there is another one, slightly taller than her, with red hair that descends down to her bottom. 

 

"M-Madam Tachibana, are you the one releasing such a dreadful aura?!" I shout from behind Yuri, unable to gather the courage to step out from behind my only form of protection in a few miles.

 

"Ah, apologies for not announcing myself sooner! These pests around the red layer don't know when to quit, so I had to rely on intimidation to keep them away," her reasoning made sense, but none of that mattered to me. The moment Tachibana's aura reached me, I'd lost all sense of reason and understanding. It was taking a lot of effort to compose myself. Hell, if not for Yuri's presence, I might've wet myself!

 

"Please, never do that again..." This time, the voice came from Yuri. His dagger was still held in front of him, every cell in his body demanding that he prepare for an attack. Yuri definitely knew who Madam Tachibana is since he works for her, but when you're struck by the intimidation aura of a [S-Rank], you realize how little you can actually afford to care for those things in a dire time.

 

I see a smirk rise on the face of Tachibana when she sees the display of 'courage' Yuri has put up. "Again, I do apologize, but I don't recommend you keep your weapon raised at me much longer. Pluto hates when people threaten me."

 

That is a name that Madam Tachibana has not used in a long time. The owner of that name, Pluto, is one of the hundreds of monsters Madam Tachibana has forced under her control. She can summon these monsters to fight for her, and Pluto is considered one of the weaker ones. Although the beast is considered weak, it is still on the level of a [C-Rank] Awakener. In other words, Yuri could certainly deal with such a monster—but if Madam Tachibana willed for it, it could end my life quickly.

 

"That's enough, Yuri. I think you've had enough time to compose yourself," I attempt to calm Yuri down. I lean into his ear, whispering something that I know will have him stand down. 'Think of your siblings, Yuri.' Just as I'd expected, Yuri quickly puts his dagger away.

 

With the situation finally de-escalated, the pressure—that has since become more subtle—is completely lifted. For this, I can only assume one thing. Madam Tachibana no longer needed to maintain her intimidating aura because she has summoned something else to do it. 

 

As if she was capable of reading my mind, Madam Tachibana sends a wink my way. I notice her pointing her finger up at the sky, but when I look up, I don't see anything but the clouds flowing by. Then, the realization hits me. The longer I look, the more I can make out unnatural details in the clouds, minor distortions that'd you see in the reflection of rippling water. 

 

Immediately, my mind readjusts to the image, and I can see it. What I am witnessing is not the moving of clouds, but the camouflaging of the massive mountain-sized serpent, Jorman. The beast is a rare one, the only of its kind. A massive serpent that once succeeded at tunneling through a country before Madam Tachibana arrived and captured it, adding it to her personal collection of monsters.

 

I can make out what appears to be its eyes gazing down at us sharply, but it doesn't look like anyone else is aware of it. Not Yuri, not the two girls behind Tachibana, only myself. It is no wonder Madam Tachibana so confidently declared our expedition into the black layer, she has the power to fend off any beast in the orange and red layer without effort. She is the queen of the monsters, and if I dare say, a threat to humanity.

32