Chapter Eighty-Four: I’m Finally Back (Illustrations!)
1k 14 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The spoiler box is SFW!!! But it does feature some cleavage. 

Plymoise came into view when the sun was on the cusp of setting. The horizon’s crimson hue clashed hard with this city-state's green-centric color scheme, but it was still beautiful.    

I thought about stopping by the Ministry to get it out of the way, but Tris said she received a message from Gretchen. She figured I’d been away from my family for too long, so she wanted me to catch up with them before heading to her.   

And I did just that.    

I spotted Irisa and the others standing in front of the inn. Everyone was there, and as I got closer, Kengu, Longtooth, Sirive, and Legate materialized and roared. Surtr joined them, flaring his flames. He sent a beam high in the sky, parting the clouds and making it seem morning for a fraction of a second.    

I told Lady Gretchen to expect something like this, my lord. She’s already been given prior notice, and the citizens know not to panic. They know it’s from Surtr.   

The performance was certainly overkill, but it was the perfect display of power for the king of the jungle.    

Misty-eyed gazes met mine as I touched down. My vision blurred with unshed tears, mirroring the emotions welling within me. The notes from my flute still lingered in the air as I dismissed my wings.   

“Master!”   

“My lord!”   

“Mila!”   

"Mila!"

“Mistress!”   

“Lord Springfield!”   

A chorus of affectionate cries met my ears. Tilde circled me in flight before embracing me from behind with her usual exuberance. Tris echoed her enthusiasm and joined her. Niva and Erin linked arms with me while Primrose's hand found my shoulder. Her comforting touch was welcomed. Irisa enveloped me in a tight, emotional embrace, holding my head against her chest.   

“I missed you guys so much…” My quivering voice betrayed my true feelings. Irisa kissed my forehead, rubbed my hair, and gave me her brightest smile. Even with the blisters that still weren't getting better, she was so beautiful…   

Irisa stepped back but held my hands as Mom and Dad welcomed me back.   

“Mom... Dad...” I just felt so weak upon seeing them. It’d been so long... Sure, I saw them with [Skyview], but that didn’t count. Dad held out his arms, and I ran, jumping into them. Mom joined the hug and kissed my head so sweetly.    

“Welcome back,” dad whispered.   

“I’m back... I’m finally back...”   

Dad let me go, and I looked at Chax and Ginnie, who didn’t know what to do.   

But I did.   

I couldn’t leave them out.    

Those two were my friends—my close allies. Ginnie slightly yelped when I gave her a hug. She went weak in the eyes and said she missed me. I even gave one to Chax, who welcomed me back while patting my shoulders.   

Before now, I never had anyone to welcome me back.    

Sure, Mom, Dad, and Irisa were there to welcome me back when we went to Aetos Village for Niva.    

But that was different.    

This was different. This time... It was just so much more emotional...   

“Come on, Master!” Tilde hovered over me and tapped my shoulders. “Let’s go inside already! We wanna hear about it!”   

“Tris didn’t tell you?”  

“She did,” Erin said. “But I wanna hear it from you!” My little sister’s tail wagged so fast. Her eyes were sparkly jewels. I ruffled her hair and let them escort me into the inn, where Delouise and his staff awaited me with a hero’s welcome. He led us to the dining room, where a bountiful feast decorated the table. He then explained what he and his staff had readied.    

At the center was a roasted boar, its skin glistening with a golden-brown hue, a true centerpiece of the meal. Alongside it, the aroma of herb-marinated grilled chicken wafted through the air, making mouths water. A pot of spiced lamb stew simmered, filled with root vegetables and fragrant herbs. Skewers of seasoned venison and smoked trout were laid out, tempting the palate.   

As for my needs, the table held roasted root vegetables with a drizzle of honey and herbs, a comforting dish. Buttered peas and carrots provided a simple delight, while grilled mushrooms with garlic butter and a touch of allspice offered earthy flavors. Stuffed cabbage rolls generously filled with grains and vegetables were served in a tomato sauce.   

An array of bread and sides – from rustic baguettes to soft whole-grain loaves - completed the spread. Cheesy mashed potatoes added a savory note, while a garden salad composed of crisp greens, peppered tomatoes, and crunchy radishes was dressed in a light, tangy dressing.   

But then a green-skinned elf rolled in a serving tray and lifted the lid after we were seated, revealing a honey-glazed fruit platter, a lavender-infused custard, and an almond cake with raspberries, topped with a tart berry sauce.   

“We spared no expense, Lord Springfield. You’re a hero. Tales of the High Elf of Liberation has spread far and wide,” Delouise said, offering another bow. “Please, this is the least we can do for Plymoise’s savior.”   

“That’s so kind of you.” It was hard to get the words out. I’d never been treated like this. After taking a sip of my tea, a maid-in-waiting refilled my cup. She did the same when I took another sip. When the pot ran dry, she left to fetch another one and remained by my side.   

Well, I couldn’t ever get thirsty, I suppose. I didn’t mind this treatment, I guess. It was different, but it...felt...nice.    

For the next two hours, I talked about what happened in Atrix. The gorier details were kept hidden. I didn’t want to ruin the mood with tales of puppets being slaughtered and hung on pikes. And it wouldn’t do right to detail that I could’ve solved it in a day or two instead of stretching it out.   

Mom and Dad probably wouldn’t have liked to know that, and I felt like shit keeping it from them.    

But I didn’t want them to hate me. I didn’t know what I would do if they said they were disappointed in me. Details about Verdant and her spies were probably a national secret that had to be kept hidden.    

I told them Ayroix was a good man. He wasn't like Gregory. I likened Blackthorn to a man who was dealt a crappy hand. He did the best he could. He wanted to prevent the invasion from going ahead, but he was overruled and was forced to keep it going. Lysander was a gentle soul who had a green thumb. He enjoyed all things nature, and we wondered about the Citrine Reapers’ future.   

Niva congratulated me when I announced [Eyes of the Huntress] combined with [Mana Perception] and evolved. She used her skill and said my vibrant, colorful eyes were pretty.     

I looked at Primrose, and her expression...   

It was one of fear...   

...because she knew I saw it.   

The undeniable nature mana surrounding her body...   

It was flowing somewhere, and I knew exactly where it was going...  

Why did I have to be right?  

“My lord, it’s time to depart. We cannot keep Lady Gretchen and her advisors waiting for your report. I’ve given it to them, but they still wish to hear it from you.”   

“Huh? You’re leaving?!” Erin whined.    

“Mila, it’s been a month since we’ve seen you!” Irisa cried. She grabbed my arm.   

“I’m sorry, but I signed a contract with her. She’s my boss, and I can’t keep her waiting. But I won’t be long, okay?” I fished around for Erin’s and Irisa’s hands. “I promise I won't go anywhere else for a while. Let’s say Sekh is within reach.”   

“Really?!” That got them smiling.    

“Yep. I need a reputable healer or a powerful elixir. But that’s the easy part. There are a thousand ways to handle that.” Right? There had to be. The lifeforce had to have been the challenge, so with that being done...  

Sekh... She was right there...  

Irisa gingerly let go of my arm and let me stand up. Primrose, again, was the only one who avoided meeting my gaze. My family and friends followed me to the lobby, and I promised them I wouldn’t be gone long.   

Once outside, I hopped on Surtr, and we were off.   

“Welcome back, Lord Springfield!”   

“You’re kinda late on that, big guy.”   

“Forgive me. I wished to speak earlier, but I didn’t want to ruin the moment.”   

“Don’t say things like that. You wouldn’t ruin anything. And I missed you, you know. Tris told me you helped patrol Plymoise. Thanks for that.”  

Surtr roared and said he only acted on my orders, but I showed appreciation with head scratches and chin rubs.    


The scent of coffee was incredibly overpowering inside the Ministry—even before I made it to the meeting room.    

Gretchen, Captain Caulk, and General Fruide were present. All turned my way when they heard the door open, and I gave my report.   

Vauche—the historian—wasn’t here. A search for his name revealed he was sleeping.    

I retrieved a copy of Tris’s report and summarized what had happened.   

“General Blackthorn is a sworn ally. Tris concocted a basic reconstruction plan, complete with suggested schedules concerning food and work, and my wooden puppets have successfully groomed Ayroix to become what Plymoise needs the most. Unless something drastic occurs, you won’t have to worry about him being an enemy. Lysander and the Citrine Reapers were being blackmailed. The Citrine Reapers’ true purpose was nothing like the sinister rumors you’ve heard, and I believe they'll rebrand and reaffirm their original task to further safeguard their land. On the return trip, I stopped and talked with Captain Morgan, and he reported no problems. I’ve also briefed him about the update situation within Atrix and what he should expect to find, and Verdant and her spies were informed with the wooden puppets I sent back.”  

“Incredible… Absolutely incredible…” General Fruide leaned in his chair and smiled. “The High Elf of Liberation... There is truly no better fitting name for you, Lord Springfield.”   

“There’s more.” I retrieved a note from [Void Storage]. My Clone!Rats had found it when infiltrating Gregory’s estate, and I kept it a secret from everyone. “This is a letter written and signed by Little Gregory to the Council of Orchta—postmarked months before the invasion. It’s proof Atrix was involved in preventing a Heptarchis from being called. You have leverage, Lady Plymoise, should you see fit to use it. No doubt you can force a Heptarchis and receive ample compensation for the corruption.”   

“General?”   

“The proof is undeniable. In all my years... I’ve never heard of the council being bribed. Attempts? Yes. It’s happened many times, but no one has succeeded...”   

Captain Caulk stretched his healed wing and asked Gretchen for orders.    

“General, send a messenger to the Orchta asking—no, demanding a Heptarchis as soon as possible. Captain Caulk, prepare your fastest soldiers and set up camps between Plymoise and Atrix. I want to be in constant communication with updates every 12 hours. While the threat of war is far behind us, there could still be remnants of the Atrixian army with unsavory intentions.”   

There was. A few stray camps were planning something, but my waypoints had told Lysander, who informed Ayroix and General Blackthorn.   

It wouldn’t take long for the problem to be solved. I couldn’t always look after Ayroix. But I’d throw him a dozen bones until I felt they were strong enough.   

Really...  

That was the least I could do, right?  

“Of course, Lady Plymoise.”   

“I also found proof of collusion between Gregory Atrix and the chimera I reported,” I said, handing over the contracts I’d forged. 

A collective gasp erupted from the table. Gretchen grabbed the documents and hastily read them over. The color drained from her face when she realized how desperate Gregory had been. Knowingly—even unknowingly—working with a chimera meant death. Even if you were powerful, Gretchen said Bellerophon had no sympathy.    

I knew that from experience. Bellerophon would probably receive a report or hear rumors about the chimera. They’d probably set up a base inside the city or around the surrounding farming villages.    

If so, and if I was still here, I’d wipe them out.    

I despised Bellerophon. They deserved to die.    

“And I believe that’s all to my report. If you’ll excuse me, I wish to return to the inn and spend time with my family.” I turned around, intending to leave…   

“A bonus will be delivered tomorrow morning. But there’s more.”   

“And that is?” I turned to face Gretchen.    

“Your assistance at the Heptarchis. When it’s called, I request you, Tris, and Surtr to accompany me as my guards.”   

“It’s going to be extra.”   

“…We are prepared to pay that. Whatever reparation the Orchta gives us will be yours.”   

“…And what if I said I desired Atrix’s Vestige. Would you grant that to me?”   

I searched for it while I was there, but I couldn’t get any hits. Even I couldn't get anything from Gregory. I must be missing something, but what was it? Maybe it was something only those with the blood of a Vestige can see or perceive? Even Tilde didn’t even know for sure.     

Suddenly, it was like the air had turned into a vacuum.    

“That would not be within our power.”   

“You are the victors, after all.”   

“Conflict happens over them. If we take Atrix’s Vestige, war would be called upon us in no less than a week’s time. We would have a coalition army at our door. If we had lost the war and Atrix took our Vestige, the other city-states wouldn’t sit idly by.”   

“It seemed like that was their plan,” I replied to Gretchen. “It seemed like they believed themselves strong enough to pull it off. Especially if they had leverage over the Orchta. But I won’t ask for anything impossible. You have my trust in that. If I decide the Orchta’s reparation is enough, that’ll be my price.” I politely bowed, wished them a good evening, and left with Surtr. Once outside, I hopped on his back while returning to the inn.    

We talked about the Vestiges. He didn’t know that much. They were around in Sekh’s time, but the world had more pressing problems than worry about meteorite shards.    

But that didn’t stop some sleazy bastards from trying to pull one over. The greed caused Parthina’s assistance to the war effort to dwindle because the country broke into a brawl. Seven armies fought against each other without glimpses of the most fragile alliances.    

What if the Vestiges just weren’t here anymore?   

What if Atrix had waged war for absolutely nothing?   

What if the city-states' leaders pretended to have the Vestiges to save face?  

How ironic would that be?  

I mean, if I couldn’t find any traces of them...  

Were they even here?  

Nothing could hide from Tris. So, if they weren’t here, they weren’t here.   

So... 

Where were they? 


It was well past three in the morning when I finally returned to my room. I couldn’t feel tiredness unless I exhausted my mana, biomass, or soul energy, but sleeping—no, resting in a comfy bed? 

If only it was that simple… 

I blinked twice and turned to Tilde, who wore… something completely new.  She was kneeling, looking up at me with a unique, submissive expression. 

Spoiler

Tilde - Arc 4 - Maid Uniform Without Wings

[collapse]

Suddenly, she stood, grabbed the helm of her skirt, and bowed. “Welcome home, Master! Your lovable maid missed you a buuuunch!!!” She winked and flashed a bright smile.   

“You’re a maid now? What happened to my fairy? Don’t tell me she’s gone forever.”  

“She’s still here, but I call this Maid Mode!” Tilde snapped, and she became nude. Another snap, and she was back in her maid outfit. She said she could manifest and vanish her wings—most fairies could do it.    

It seemed she unlocked a storage skill that only worked for clothing and armor. It wasn’t as good as mine, though. But Tilde progressed much faster than I thought. She was practically an expert. I doubt anyone knew more than her about how this world worked.    

“I requested it from the manager a few days ago to surprise you! Hey! Did ya know Tris can save different outfit configurations to her wardrobe? It extends to her hair and makeup, and it’s different from stashing things inside [Void Storage] and putting them on that way. Tris, activate Maid Mode!” Tris’s body glowed, and she showed off her matching attire.  

“You look amazing, Tris. I like it.”   

“Hehe… My lord… It does my heart well to see you like it!”  Tris giggled and touched the tips of her fingers together, her fluffy ears twitching from happiness.     

Tilde grabbed my arm and took me to bed. “I talked with Irisa. I just said enough to make her start thinking, but it’s time for you to go and speak with her. It’s not a good idea to push it off anymore. She knows you’re leaving soon for the Heptarchis, and she didn’t take it well.”  

“Was it a mistake to delay it for this long?” I asked. Tris grabbed my hand and rubbed it against her cheeks before joyfully wagging her tail. I couldn’t get enough of that beautiful smile.   

“You had genuine excuses. It’s hard to talk about this stuff when the threat of invasion was looming overhead. But you don’t have that anymore. Part of being an adult is knowing that there are times when you must have a difficult conversation. But I don’t think tonight’s the night. She’s too vulnerable. Go show our little oni your affection. It’s what she needs.”   

“What about you two?”   

“What about us? I’m your lovable fairy maid, and Tris is your dependable analytical engine. Your success is our success. We’re with you for the long haul. Irisa? She has a kind heart. This type of fighting isn’t for her. So, go on and comfort her. Tris and I’ll head to bed soon, so we’ll see you in the morning. Focus on Irisa, okay? She really needs you right now. She's nearly 90, but the wee lass still has room for growing and maturing.”  

“I love you so much, Tilde.” I kissed her head and rubbed her arms. Her smile was eternally delightful and beautiful.  

“Hey, did you know Tris wailed over her cute lord? Hehe, you should’ve seen her sulk. It was totes adorbs." 

“Tilde!!” It wasn’t often Tris became embarrassed, but it was always so cute to see her blushing face. “You said you wouldn’t tell!!”  

“Teehee!”  

Tris looked like she was about to cry. But I quickly embraced her and held her close to my chest. “I’ve missed you too. So much… Hearing your voice is one thing, but it’s something else to have you in my arms once again."  

She lifted her eyes and met mine. Her body softened when I kissed her. Tilde waved when Tris escorted me to Irisa’s room, but it was just an excuse to hold her hand some more.    

I watched her return to my room before pressing an ear against Irisa’s door.     

I heard her sobbing…    

God, it hurt my heart so much… 

I'm hoping the image works. I resized and made it a little smaller, but please let me know if it doesn't. 

The title of the next chapter is called Relationship Growths...

It's also pretty chunky at 5 parts, and two or three parts feature R-18 content. But those parts also serve to really, really, really deepen some relationships, hence the title's name. 

Oh, Fairy Maid Tilde! Fairy Maid Tilde!

(Her image doesn't have wings...because the AI was just not having it. I wanted one with them, though.)

23