Chapter Seventy: New Home
1.1k 15 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the ship had anchored at the dock, my family, Captain Caulk, and the Duckfolk commander I captured disembarked while the Mengoire set a course for the shipyard for repairs. The rest of the crew would escort the prisoners to the prison until someone decided their fate.    

Mom and the others broke off from us to head to her mother’s shop—a store called Asura’s Domain—in the carriage prepared ahead of time. It was already waiting in front of the building. I followed the captain with the Duckfolk and Tris through an escape path built into the rear of the building. After going through a series of tight corridors, winding twists and turns, and climbing up very steep steps, we emerged into a hidden backroom filled with non-perishables.   

Captain Caulk walked to a nearby bookshelf, removed a book, and peered through a peephole. I was close enough to have indexed this whole building, so I saw that the next-door room was built like an office. There was just one soul in there. Captain Caulk performed a series of knocks before pushing the bookshelf like a door. We followed.    

“I presume you have answers to the burning mysteries surrounding Ria, Captain Caulk?” asked a portly woman. Her dark green hair had light green, emerald-like highlights, which matched her grassy-colored eyeliner and verdant nails. She sat behind a grand desk filled with documents, forms, and request notices, amongst other diplomatic necessities, as she penned a letter. The green curtains over the two large windows behind her almost camouflaged the incoming light to shine a green glow on her.   

This was Gretchen Plymoise, the ruling lady of Plymoise, one of Parthina’s seven city-states.    

“Hmm? A prisoner?” Gretchen glanced her eyes upward. “A High Elf?!”  

“Things have escalated, Lady Plymoise. This is Lyudmila Springfield. The woman standing beside her is Tris. They have first-hand accounts and experienced the Ria disaster for themselves,” replied Captain Caulk. “The fool in the restraints is from Atrix—specifically, the commander of one of their vessels. They ambushed us during our return trip. The rest of the prisoners are on the Mengoire, and my men will escort them to the prison when they arrive at the shipyard for needed repairs.”  

The woman slammed both hands on the desk and stood up. Gretchen's eyes went wide like a wild beast. She fell back to her chair and sighed deeply. “One thing at a time. Just one thing at a time… Lyudmila Springfield, time is of the essence, so please tell me what transpired as briskly as possible.”  

I nodded, and I told her…but then an idea came to my mind. “During our daring escape, before that tremendous ball of flames was conjured overhead, spirit birds flew and repeated a grave message. If they’re to be believed, then the Bellerophon soldiers stationed at Ria were willing to risk killing a High Elf from Vredi Forest. Even worse, the birds claimed a wizard named Flaf intended to use gas to ensure the secret never escaped.”  

“What?!” exclaimed the captain and Gretchen. Even the captor commander gasped the best he could against his gag and black bag covering his face. I told the captain I didn’t tell him this on the ship because this was grave information, especially since it concerned a High Elf. 

“It is the truth. My ears are sharper than the rest of my kin. I didn’t sense a hint of falsehoods in those spirits' proclamations. But alas, I do not know what specifically caused that attack. I also don't know what set the clouds on fire. I imagine it was the chimera Bellerophon was hunting. If they steeped to even those gross misdeeds... I only fear the chimera was powerful and frightening.” I then told her of our meeting with the pirates, how they ‘killed’ our ‘friend’ Rickard, and Captain Caulk’s offer to escort us here.   

The captain took over and explained the battle with the three Atrix battleships. It was an ambush, to be more specific, and he said they used a spell to conjure a thick fog to hide their vessels before it was to strike with the element of surprise. Gretchen couldn’t help but ask how one Craine-class ship survived against three Concordian-class battleships, and that was when I explained Surtr. She wanted to meet the lion, so I let her. She thanked him when it appeared, and to her credit, she didn’t gasp or flinch after seeing its monstrous size.  If anything, she professed her thanks, Surtr gave a deep nod and returned to its home. Gretchen also asked about Tris since she was quiet and stood by my side with her hands across her stomach—almost like a maid or servant in waiting— but I said she was my advisor. I trusted her council above all else.   

Which wasn’t a lie. I looked to my Fragment of Wisdom for advice and assistance daily. 

“Captain Caulk has a necklace I recovered.” He pulled a pouch from his pocket and gave it to Gretchen. She joyfully looked at it before turning her attention to the obvious.   

“It seems there are problems in every direction I look, and now there’s the matter of the mysterious voice from the sky… Ahh—I apologize, Lord Springfield. Plymoise’s concerns aren’t your own, and you’ve done more than enough to protect our people while escaping from Ria with valuable insight. You deserve a reward. If it is in my power, you will have it.”  

“… If I may be so greedy, I have…a few things I’d like to ask for,” I said. If it was possible, I asked for our ship to be repaired. Gretchen nodded and said that would happen. And when I inquired if her workers could deliver our cargo for us, she even said she would waive the fees and taxes. 

“Is there anything else?” she asked.   

“No, that was it. That wasn’t too much, was it?”  

“Not at all. Lord Springfield, you have my utmost thanks for your service,” Gretchen stood and extended a thick hand. I shook it. “However, do you require a place to stay? Have you any lodgings?”  

“Yes, we do. My mother is visiting her family’s shop and childhood home. I’m meeting up with them later.”  

“I see. Well, I shall not keep you any longer. Once again, let me thank you from the bottom of my heart. If you don’t mind, could you come by later to complete the paperwork? I need to know where to send the money once the goods are delivered.”  

I told her I didn’t mind. I would probably return in about four or five hours to get a better lay of the land since we would stay here for quite some time. I said my goodbyes to Gretchen and the captain, taunted the captive commander, and walked to the waiting room. The young receptionist—a human— didn’t expect to see me, but she quickly understood the situation after I dropped Captain Caulk’s name. She wished Tris and me a good day, and together, we descended the stairs and left through the primary lobby, which was in a state of almost comical chaos.   

“Where to now, my lord?” Tris asked when we were outside.    

“Gotta find mom and dad.”  

“There is no need because I see them,” Tris replied.   

“Huh?” I looked to where she was pointing and saw my family stepping out of a wagon.  

I ran over and asked what was wrong.  

“Mila… Grandma’s store isn’t here,” Irisa said, wiping her teary eyes. Mom used a handkerchief to brush away her watery cheeks. “And neither is the house they lived in. We talked to the neighbors, but they said they packed everything up, sold the land, and moved to a different city-state. But they didn’t say which one.  And they didn’t leave a forwarding address. We…don’t have anywhere to go…”  

Irisa hugged her mom and cried into her arms. Erin was bordering on tears as well. Dad asked about my report, and I told him. “The money is a start until we decide on what to do.”  

“We could do that…or we can save it. Stay right here. I’ll be back.”  

“Hey—Mila?! Where are you going?” Irisa asked.   

“Getting us a place to stay,” I simply replied. I walked back through the ministry building until I was at the door to Gretchen’s office. Knocking on the door, I announced it was me, and Captain Caulk unlocked and opened it thirty seconds later.    

I don’t see that Duckfolk… Oh, he’s in the secret room. 

He asked if everything was fine, but I said it wasn’t. I apologized as I walked in, but I told Gretchen and the captain our situation. Gretchen asked if I was referring to Asura’s Domain, and I nodded. She said they moved so fast that it didn’t take them more than a week to clear out. She never could get a reason, and unfortunately, she didn't know where they went. That happened about four years ago.  

“But I can see that this is a problem for you. In addition to what I offered you before, I will grant you and your family access to the Waterdale, an inn we use for special guests when they visit. You may stay there for two months, free of charge, but please be within reason. Excuse me for asking this, but the owners were not High Elves…”  

“Thank you for your generosity. However, I was adopted by a family of onis. For all intents and purposes, the woman I consider to be my mother is not my biological mother, but I love her all the same because she and her husband took me in.”  

“I see. I apologize if it was a distressing topic, but I understand fully,” Gretchen lightly bowed her head. She reached for a quill and wrote something on a blank sheet of paper. “Give this to the receptionist outside my office. She’ll escort you to the Waterdale and get you settled in. She will also handle the paperwork I need for your ship’s repair and cargo delivery.” It seemed like she wanted to say more, but she stopped herself.   

I took the note with a smile, offered my thanks again for what felt like the fourth time, and turned to leave. The door promptly locked behind me. Gerrea—the receptionist-- looked up when I approached the desk and handed her the note.   

Reading it, she smiled and put out a placard that said Lady Plymoise would not be receiving any more visitors for the rest of the day. She escorted me outside. Mom and the others stood near the entrance.   

“If you would give me a moment,” said the young receptionist. “I’ll fetch another carriage to make the ride more comfortable.” She briskly walked towards the carriage Captain Caulk had set up for us. Stepping inside, it began to move, heading around the right side of the ministry.     

“Mila, what’s happening?” Dad asked. I told him and the rest about our temporary living arrangements.   

“With the money from the cargo, we should be fine, right? Mom?” Irisa looked to Mom. Her nose was a little stuffy from her prior crying, and her yellow eyes were slightly tinted crimson.   

“Yes… We’ll be okay. We’ll be fine.” Mom tried to put on a brave front.   

Tris stood idly by me, remaining quiet while in a state of focus. Nine minutes later, two carriages pulled around to the front. The four horses pulling each one were solid green, like a layer of dyed air was caked over a skeletal frame. Their fur was oddly thick, especially for this heat. [Deduction] said it was in the mid-80s.   

They didn’t seem to be thirsty or tired, though.   

We entered the carriages and set off. 

The leather interior was comfy. Now that I thought about it, Plymoise was a mountainous region. It wasn’t that wide, but it was more of a long, narrow country with mountain ridges to the far north and south. Parthina itself eclipsed Dirge in terms of landmass by about 2.5x. 

But with that said, most people I saw were full of green. Whether it was their hair, eyes, fur, or tails, it was a harsh clash compared to the tropical-like environment of Ria and the surrounding areas. And I didn’t understand why it was like this. Really, it couldn’t have been a coincidence, right? It was one thing to dye your hair the color of your flag, but another thing to be born with green properties you couldn’t hope to control.   

Maybe not having green was a recessive trait in these parts?   

“It’ll take us about thirty minutes to reach the Waterdale, ma’am,” Gerrea said, looking behind to peek through a small sliding window.   

I nodded.   

Irisa and Niva sat beside me and held my hands. Tris crossed her legs, folding her arms in her lap like a proper lady. Primrose was in her crystal to save space and lessen the strain on her summoner.   

Since we had time to waste, I opened a new [Skyview] window and navigated to Gretchen’s office. I didn’t want to be a part of this potential war without a good reason, but knowledge was often more powerful than brawn.     

“…have the resources to fight a war. Even a skirmish is too much for us to handle. Atrix has a powerful navy. The last estimate puts them at twenty-six Concordian-class ships alone, not to mention their thirteen scouting ships and six cruisers. Yet, we only have fourteen ships total—only a handful are seaworthy—and we don’t have enough supplies to fully stock them,” said the Hawkfolk, standing in front of Gretchen with his arms behind his back. I must’ve caught them in the middle of his briefing. “Ria was our primary trading partner. Lord Springfield’s welcomed delivery is enough to keep Plymoise going for that much longer, but it will not be enough. Holy Lord Gloria's unthinkable orders and demands put a thorn in our side.”  

“Yes, I know. I’ve been fielding complaints about our rationing for weeks now. But let us put Ria out of our minds because it is a lost cause. Dirge’s diplomat was summoned home the day she closed the dungeon. We need to convene with my council to see what we can do to prevent war from breaking out.”  

“We have a ship’s commander and their prisoners. It wouldn’t be farfetched to claim the harsh fog prevented the Vladoif, Findlay, and Durely from sailing confidently. The Mengoire could have come across them and only managed to rescue one ship’s crew before the ocean swept them away. Atrix could pay us a substantial rescue fee masqueraded as reparation.”  

“True, we could paint it as that. It would allow this to be put behind us, but I doubt your men will stand for it. You said we lost eight soldiers?” Gretchen asked, sitting up properly.   

“It was fifteen. My soldiers want revenge. I can see it in their eyes.”  

“To be honest, I feel the same. My ancestors have protected Plymoise for hundreds of years. I refuse to see it harmed because some warhawk wanted to have something to brag about.” Gretchen thumbed her necklace. She wasted no time in clasping it around her neck. “But I won't wage war to cause more death if there’s a way to avoid it. Captain, dispatch messengers to the council. Send one to Atrix’s embassy to fetch their diplomat. We need to make the first move and set the precedence.”  

Captain Caulk saluted and promptly left through the door I exited from, emerging into an empty waiting room. The Duckfolk commander in the hidden passage was now tied to a chair with restraints and a bag and gag wrapped tightly around his mouth.   

The captain briskly walked to the third floor and saw a group of soldiers sitting around a table. They wore military uniforms with horse pins attached to their collars.   

They were all Horsefolk with green eyes—powerful runners with exceptional stamina that made them perfect for delivering messages across long distances. They stood and saluted their captain, and the five of them promptly raced downstairs and left through the lobby after getting their orders. I couldn’t track them because I hadn’t indexed the rest of the city.    


We arrived at a gated community. Tris told me she would watch the ministry and alert me when the meeting began, or the messengers returned. 

The carriage driver took us through the middle of this little sectioned-off place, which didn’t seem to be for the rich and famous. I just saw a quaint little inn that wasn’t more than two floors tall. It lacked an exotic atmosphere but emitted a rural quietness. Since this was an inn for diplomats, it made sense to be at the edge of Plymoise’s capital town. The ocean faced behind us, and I was sure I spotted a dock in the inn’s back when the carriage brought us around to the front.   

Gerrea hopped down and opened the door for us. I got out and saw Mom and the others. Erin held Dad's hand, and they looked at our new temporary home.  I couldn’t place the architecture, but it reminded me of an archaic structure-- with a lot of cement, stone, and very little wood. On that note, I hadn’t seen much greenery, which was almost alarming because the color was prevalent in the people and animals I’d seen.  

Really, upon first observation, even the air was dustier than the freshness in Ria.    

“Hmm? Lady Plymoise didn’t mention we would be receiving any visitors,” said a portly green mustached butler with a healthy belly. He approached with a curious look. Gerrea handed him the message Gretchen wrote. “I see… Lord Springfield?”  

“Yes?” I replied, walking to join the rest of my family.   

“On behalf of the manager of the Waterdale Inn, I welcome you. It says here you’re to stay for two months?” I nodded. “Lovely. If you’ll follow me, I’ll escort you all to your rooms.”  

Mom wanted to thank the man. Her pretty, gentle face was back to normal instead of being bombarded by sadness. Dad and Erin probably helped her emotionally. 

“My name is Delouise Waterdale, ma’am,” replied the manager.  He didn't say it, but the butler was internally questioning the wounds on Dad and the others. I told Gretchen I only escaped damage from that massive spell because Surtr protected me with its body. “My ancestors founded the Waterdale Inn before Plymoise was even a city-state of Parthina.”  

We followed the manager into the building and emerged into the lobby, where there was a line of six butlers on the left and six maids on the right, all of whom bowed and greeted us. Delouise kept walking and escorted us to the stairs in the far back, explaining that the hallways to our left and right on the ground floor led to additional rooms and a hot spring.   

“Hot springs?”  

“Yes, that’s correct. The Waterdale Inn uses geothermal heat to warm our waters. The hot spring downstairs is divided into halves, with a stone wall separating the two. One is for men, and the other is for women. Ah, you should know that your rooms will have an outside bath.”  

“We have our own?” Irisa asked.   

“That’s correct. You'll also have a bell that connects to the lobby. Ring it if you require anything,” Delouise explained when we came to the second floor. He asked how many rooms we would need, and I said five.   

One for mom and dad.   

One for Irisa.   

One for Erin. 

One for Niva and Primrose.   

And one for myself and Tris. But honestly, Irisa would probably sleep in my room, but it was best to have that one extra in case.  Lei would probably sleep with Erin or Niva. 

“Understood. You all must be exhausted, so please take a chance to rest. If you decide to take a bath, we have robes in the closet for you to wear. Lady Plymoise has also authorized us to purchase any necessities you may need, so if you desire clothing or anything of the sort, please do not hesitate to ask. We will come and get you when dinner is prepared. Is there anything else I can do for you?”  

“Thank you, Mr. Waterdale,” replied Dad. He shook the manager’s hand, and after a professional nod, Delouise walked downstairs.   

And we were alone.   

Dad said it wasn’t a bad idea to get clean and rest. The past nine days or so were exhaustive for everyone except me. I didn’t know how they were even able to move, if I was being honest. Living on a military ship with very little food took a toll on them. They didn’t admit it, but I saw it in their mannerisms and tone of voice.  Irisa and Erin yawned, proving Dad’s point, and we all agreed to get some sleep before meeting up for dinner.   

And after that, they would probably hit the hay early to recuperate.    

Not me, though.   

I had plans.   

“I guess I’ll see you a little bit, Mila,” Irisa said, giving me a hug. I kissed her lips and rubbed her back, and she entered her room. Mom and Dad left a few moments ago, and I walked to Erin and rubbed her head. The poor girl was about to start crying, but she wiped her eyes, hugged Lei, and tried to give me a big smile before heading inside.  

She was my sister. When I had time, I needed to spend some time with her. Erin's life had changed dramatically in the past month alone.    

“Mistress?” I went to Niva and hugged her. Primrose emerged from her crystal and watched.   

“Go and get some rest, okay? You'll start training [Mana Perception] tomorrow. Prim, be sure to help her.”  

“Are we going somewhere?” asked Niva.   

“Yes, but not now. We have two months.”  

“Two months? Do you have a plan?” asked the spirit.  

I looked at Primrose and nodded. “I’m still working out the exact details, but that skirmish with Atrix might delay us. It just depends on how it plays out.”  

“Understood,” replied Primrose. Niva used her staff from her spirit to walk by herself. Prim turned around and looked into my eyes. “I’ll put my trust in you, Lord Springfield. I'll follow your decisions.” As quickly as she said that, Primrose blushed, turned her head, and closed the door. 

37