15 – In the Thicket
4.8k 7 163
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room beyond the Prairie challenge was only a simply furnished waiting room. A sofa, a small table with some water and towels laid out on it, and a binding-ball shaped door to go on further, with a green mushroom press button beside it. Brandy was sitting on the sofa, running her fingers through the Wooloo’s coat, when Sparky and Calcine eventually followed her into the next room.  

Sparky was still itching, a few puffy white cotton balls stuck over her skin and making her twitch as she poked at them and tried to tug them off. Calcine seemed perfectly fine by comparison, a little muddied up from her tumble with Valerie, but nothing worse than that. 

“We did it!” Brandy said, looking up from the Wooloo, who had rolled into a ball in her lap. “That was so close. You were both great.”

“Couldn’t let you lose,” Sparky said, picking at a cotton ball stuck to her arm. She yelps as she pulls it free, flicking it away from her. It fades into a little puff of white smoke as it tumbles off. 

“Come here,” Calcine said, raising her hand out. Sparky looks at her suspiciously, and Calcine shakes her head, stepping over instead. She ran a finger along Sparky’s body, making the shorter Pokémon flinch as she barked out quick breaths. 

“Hot, hot! Careful!” Sparky hissed, but Calcine only continued. Her finger caused the Wooloo Infestation bugs to pop off the skin and flee the heat, puffing away into smoke as she stroked Sparky up and down. 

“Mmm, okay, her hands are really nice when they’re like this,” Sparky said after warming up to the strange finger massage. “You should have her do this later. This is actually really good.”

“Thanks for throwing yourself in there for me,” Brandy said, dragging herself along the ground to get her legs out from under the Wooloo, who’d dozed off in her lap. “I really owe you. That was all kinds of heroic!”

“She may be a pest, but she’s our pest,” Calcine said as she ran her hands over Sparky’s legs. Thorough in her removal of the nippy power-manifested insects. “It’s nice to see even a Bug can be loyal.”

“So judgemental!” Sparky laughs, leaning her thighs to bop against Calcine’s head. Those thick thighs are enough to tip Calcine over from her squat down to her knees, and she groans as she feels the weight of Sparky jumping on her back. Using her like a seat, legs kicking in the air. “You’d both be toast without me! You beat my webs once, but I just proved they’re the best. Which means I am the best!”

She beat her chest proudly, Brandy failing to hold back a smile at her antics. 

“Both are the best, really! I think we can win this if we really try.” Brandy says, bounding over to grab Sparky into a big hug. 

“You’re both very trying,” Calcine rumbled from her kneeling position. “Get off!” 

Brandy laughs as she drags Sparky off, fussing with her messy hair as the Joltik tries to sneak some quick kisses. All four blue eyes blink rapidly as she enjoys getting some affection after the savaging.

“You were great too, Calcine. If I hadn't held hold on to you, Valerie would have gotten me.”

“Yes, well, tricking her into pressing on me was very clever. Really warmed me up that.”

“Yeah, tricks!” Sparky said, “Totally not Brandy getting all horny and lucking out again.”

She got a bite on the neck for that, which Sparky enjoyed far too much, judging from her squeal. 

“I was thinking fast,” Brandy said, mouth half full of cheeky Joltik neck. “I hadn’t expected that! It worked out well, didn’t it?”

“You have a Meowth’s luck. There’s no denying it,” Calcine said, grabbing a towel and wetting it before working it over her skin to clear it of the mud. “But I don’t think scraping to victory every time is the best method.”

“I know, I know! But if my plans going to work, we need some early wins. Swear we can kick back once we get the Badge. Take you out for meals, get you some new things.”

“Hand in Lapidary’s name?”

“That too, of course, of course! I haven’t forgotten,” Brandy said, bashfully rubbing an arm. “And help Maple’s mom too, all that. Then a meal on me.”

“And then bed!” Sparky giggled. “You best hope you walk this next battle because if you owe me triple, I will break your hips when you get home.”

“My mom’s at home still! Don’t go crazy,” Brandy blushed, burying her face in Sparky’s fur.

“Best buy her some earmuffs then.”  

“Don’t worry, Brandy,” Calcine said. “She’s a bundle of energy, but if you use what you learned from me, she won’t last five minutes.”

“You don’t know how much noise I can make in five minutes!”

Maybe those earmuffs weren’t a terrible idea.

---

Once Sparky had been soothed with kisses enough to let Brandy go, the group finished cleaning up and went on through the next door. They didn’t even get to step into the room before a blast of smelling air hit their senses like a hammer. It was all flowers. From wall to wall, they blanketed the ground in a dazzling array of colors, vines climbing up the walls adorned with roses and other more exotic blooms. 

It was absolutely gorgeous. 

“You don’t have hay fever, right Brandy? Or you’re going to die in here.”

Sparky yelped as Calcine punched her arm. 

“Ruining the moment,” Calcine said as an explanation. “It looks calm. Another ambush?”

“It should be the Gym Leader here. Is she hiding? I’d expect this more from a Poison gym. Aren’t Grass all about sticking together?”

“Kinda,” Sparky said, kneeling to snag a yellow flower from the ground and thread it into Brandy’s spiky red hair. “They like people they share interests with, and I guess Grass nerds are getting excited about flowers from this room.”

The trio walks a trail through the flowers. It’s a pleasant stroll, the soft petals against their skin and the sweet smell in the air, making Brandy think of dreamy spring trips where she’d watch the Pokémon on river banks. She was too young to know why she liked them back then, but it’d always relaxed her to see them going about their days while lying in the grass. At least until Fenny inevitably found her and got her to come inside and wash her grass-stained clothes. 

They were on edge enough not to be surprised when a figure rose right up from the ground, petals swirling around her. A tall, willowy woman with long flowing green hair in a gorgeous flower petal patterned dress that’d made an excellent natural camouflage. 

“Woah,” Sparky gasped after the three had stared at her for a moment. “Someone flatter than Brandy, incredible.”

The green-haired woman laughs, a pleasantly bouncy sound as she brushes a few loose petals off her dress. 

“Goodness, that’s quite the introduction. Is everything okay?” she said. 

“Fine! Do you want to trade a Joltik Lea? This one’s got a smart mouth,” Brandy huffs, arms folded over her chest.

“After the display next door? No, I think she’s doing well where she is. I’m the Gym Leader of Turrfield, as you well know, Brandy. For the rest of you, please call me Lea!”

“Lea. A large field covered with grass. Very apt.” Calcine said.

“Oh! That’s impressive. No one’s ever guessed what my name meant before. Very clever of you, Calcine.”

Calcine tilted her chin up, trying to look cool about it. Brandy thought it made her look smug, but she wasn’t about to spoil it. It was a clever thing to know. 

“I’m glad you’re doing okay! I’m here to challenge you.” Brandy said with a nervous swish of her fist. “I’ve been waiting to say that for so long.”

“I know, I know.” Lea laughed. “You always had your eyes set on being a Trainer while growing up. I didn’t expect you to come straight here, though! You sure you’re ready?”

“Uh, well... I kind of ...” she faltered.

In truth, Brandy wasn’t, but she’d wanted to carry out her entire journey like the stories, which meant doing it all with her hard work. Clearing the Town’s Gym early was vital before her funds ran out, and she had to abandon her dream and beg Poké-mom for some bucks. Lea saw the look on her face as the conflict overcame her and softened.

“Well, you passed the trial. At the very least, I think you’ve earned the right to try! Don’t let me put you off. You ready?”

Calcine and Sparky nodded, taking Brandy’s side to support her. The pair of them laced fingers through her hands, giving her the courage to push through. 

“Yeah, let’s fight!” Brandy said, trying to put a confident face on it.

“Fight?” says Lea. “Oh, of course, this is your first gym. You don’t know how it works!”

“It’s completely unlike her,” Calcine said, “But she may have rushed into this.”

Lea shook her head, long green hair swirling behind her. Amused, she waved them closer. 

“Every gym you visit has a theme and rules that suit it. My trial was to see if you could manage a large crowd of sweet-hearted Pokémon.” Lea paused before quickly adding, “And Valerie. Who is sweet in her own way.”

“Hah,” Brandy laughed nervously. “Yeah, she has her own way, for sure. So, what are the rules for this one?”

“Simple! You needed two Pokémon because we’re doing two things at once! Teamwork will be key, and knowing the hearts of both of your Pokémon.” Lea tapped her heart. “And there’ll be no fighting. This is a test of understanding and intimacy, not strength.”

“No fighting? So we’re just going to go at each other?” Sparky said, “Woof, this sounds great.”

“Not quite! We will pick one of our Pokémon to be Defence, and they’ll stay by their partner’s side, supporting them. The other Pokémon will be on Offence and free to go at the opposing Trainer.”

She raised a finger. “With no aggressive moves! You will be gentle, and so will mine. That includes webs, which were quite the sight. You can use your Moves in pleasing ways, but it’s Brandy’s job to ensure you don’t go too far.”

“So, is the victory the same as usual? When one can’t go on?” Calcine said, eyes already looking off to the side, her mind spinning with ideas. 

“I’ll judge if you passed or failed, but if you collapse early, I’d consider that a bit of a poor showing!” Lea laughed. “Do you want to go strategize? I’ll let you get a look at my two while you do! But I won’t tell you who is attacking and defending. That’s a surprise for the moment!”

Brandy was blushing so severely as the realization set in the very tips of her ears was in danger of going red, but she nodded. 

She had two Pokémon already, but she’d never had the chance to have a threesome yet. Now she was going to be tested on her very first?  

She really should have prepared more for this one. 


Now 8 chapters ahead on Patreon!

When I hit 20 ahead, I plan to put up 3 chapters a week here! Wish me luck with it.

 

163