Chapter 75: Truths Revealed
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

HKDkQ64.png

I latched the last of the wounded onto the lift. Waving to the others above. Speck was strapped down before me. His chest rising with a weak effort. The lift zipped up towards the large red and yellow civilian model air car, and he disappeared. Wind whipped around us as frozen snow drifted down through the hole in the ceiling, casually falling to the floor below.

I shivered, rubbing my arms down, wishing that my corpo jumpsuit was still available to wear. I was relieved to see the Meowtlaws running about, setting up defensive positions, taking up their old jobs where they could to keep the power station running smoothly. If the station fell, everyone on this rock would freeze to death in a matter of hours. The whole city, just gone in a flurry of ice. I thought of all the people being turned into meat popsicles and shuddered.

I was pulled from my daze by my lover’s voice. “We’re on the next ship out. All the wounded are being taken to HQ. This was a hard-fought victory, but we own the power now. We have some sort of advantage now. We’re safe for the time being.” Uwu stepped up to me and wrapped his arms around may shoulders, holding me tight.

His warm fur and musky sent brought some sort of comfort and relaxation. I melted into his arms, grabbing ahold of his waist and holding tight.

“That’s if the Gellys aren’t deranged enough to just bomb the shit out of this place.” The young, black cat had a sword attached to his belt, and a sub-machine gun slung across his shoulder. Mama said his name was Yami, a Meowtlaw that held his own against some Bishops. A terrific feat earning my respect. He was eating some type of ration bar, speaking between munching down, flecks of rations spilling from his mouth. “And I don’t think we can count that out.”

Lumbering footsteps came closer to us, shaking the ground with each step, “That’s a big if. We do know the Gellys are looking for someone.” Mama had a cast wrapped around her arm. She looked a little haggard and worse for the wear. “If they destroy the power, they lose everyone on the surface.”

“You saw them chopping heads in the Mayor’s office. Don’t get too comfy.” Yami tipped his ration bar to Mama before taking a big bite.

Mama had given us the rundown on what was going on out on Meowlith Prime. She informed us of how the Gellys and Corpos had broken the truce and were at civil war. All the people caught in the middle were being taken to safe houses across the moon, at least the ones that were still intact. It was starting to look bleak for any sort of life on this moon.

I was surprised Earth forces weren’t on route now that the Corpos had lost any sort of control. The Gellys only had so much sway over Earth government, and it had to be running out by now. Money talks louder than worship.

Yami glanced around the battle scarred station, “It’s not much better out there.” Yami pitched in, “If I had to pick, I’d rather be here. Less Gellys.”

Uwu stepped up, puffin his chest out to look like a dignified Captain, “The air defenses are up and running again, with new codes for our guys to get in and out. Any attempt to assault us by air will be for naught. Everyone is safe here.”

It was and odd way to take the conversation, until I looked around at all the faces looking our way. They were worried and taking some comfort in his words. That was the Captain I loved. Always one step ahead of the situation.

Uwu spoke louder for other prying ears to hear, “I’ve been informed that a train full of civilians are coming to camp out here for the remainder of the war. All workers have been urged to message their families to head to the terminal city side. For the time being, we have control, and we need all workers running this place to keep the lights and heat on. Get your families here, and take refuge in its safety.”

Some of the workers let out sighs of relief, running off to the nearest vid-call booth.

I looked at Mama, “You said the Gellys are looking for someone? Is that confirmed?” I couldn’t think of a single person that would warrant a full-scale invasion of a moon, I guess maybe if Uwu was taken prisoner, then I’d send a full-scale invasion after the fuckers who took him.

Mama nodded, “Saw it on the vid screens, broadcast planetwide. That creep of a man, Michael, was executing the mayor and top Corpo officials. He was looking for someone called, Gabriel? I think.”

The word hit me like a freight train. I almost lost my footing as memories came flooding back of my time on that loathsome pirate ship. The faces of that horrid crew sent my anxiety into the roof. I thought I was over it, but the mention of his name let loose the flood gates. My fingers ran through my red hair as a sweat overtook me.

Uwu caught me as my knees gave way. “Whoa, what’s wrong?”

I blinked a few times as my vision clouded over briefly. I came back too and everyone was looking at me. I could feel my cheeks burning bright red with embarrassment.

Echo strolled up, filling a bandolier with ammo, “What’s up with her?”

“Sorry, guys.” I stood up and took a few breaths. “It’s just that I know who that is, personally”

Uwu’s eyebrows furrowed, “You know some guy named Gabriel?”

“It’s not just Gabriel. It’s Gabriel the Messenger, murderer of Alphis Prime. One of the four horsemen of the Gellical Collective. I’ve met him before.” I gazed on all my comrades looking at me with eyes agape. A moment of silence hung in the air. I was starting to get nervous and self-conscious at no one said a thing.

“You met a Saint-Admiral and lived?” Yami looked around at everyone, “That’s bad ass.”

“I didn’t just meet him. I help him escape from the Gellys. I know we don’t really talk about the past on our crew, so it never really came up. To bn honest, I tried to forget all about it.”

Uwu looked around, his face was stern, no emotions permeated it. “We should find a quieter place to talk. We don’t need any rumors going around. And I, for one, would love to hear this story.”

I gave a half-hearted smile. I hope this didn’t hurt our relationship.

lefHQPB.png

0