Ch 80. Is this a King?
444 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well, to most people will very happy and feel patriotic to receive a Medal from the king to save the nation.

But at the moment Arthur thought...

'What I am going to do with a medal?'

He wasn't from Earlshide, nor do he has any attachment to the nation. If the nation gets destroyed tomorrow, he can say with confidence that he can sleep with no worries in night.

If anything, Arthur looked at the medal with pessimistic mindset. It kind of became his habit after first experience of being reincarnator.

Always think of worst, that you can be prepared for it.

'Politics...'

Medal are not just to show gratitude. But also to bind people with great power. If Arthur gets a medal today, then his name will be known by all the people.

He will be hailed as a Hero among the people, and if another demon attacks, to protect his expectations of the people he will have to go in frontlines and fight that demon to protect them.

All of this just because of a medal.

"Medal!!"

He looked at Shin bein shocked about the fact he is going to receive a Medal.

There is a limit to guidance. Even teacher's don't teach students for lifetime. Even though Arthur didn't spend much time with his classmates, he will admit that he kind of liked the feeling of having friends.

And that's why he was a bit strict with everyone, specially with Shin, since he was someone with great power.

But his lacking is common sense makes it harder for Shin to understand the consequences.

The use of power is free to its wielder. Even Arthur agrees to it. Shin can do what he wants, it's his freedom to do what he want. But Arthur wants at least for him to understand his actions.

Arthur kills someone because he is stronger. And he is conscious that he killing someone. He is conscious that he is talking someone's life. Not for someone else, but because of his own will, for his own profit.

But Shin doesn't understand that. And that's why Arthur wanted him to learn a bit.

But there is a limit to it. He can't keep pampering him all the time.

This medal is something akin to that. This medal is the trigger to the path of the hero.

'If I receive this medal, I will be hailed as a Hero. It's kind of ironic that my dream is fulfilled after I gave up on it.'

Being a Hero is not suitable for him. Probably Shin is the most suitable for it. But still as a friend he doesn't want any one of his classmates to become a hero.

After all, hero is nothing more but just a mass murderer.

"Diseum. Didn't you say that Shin won't be used for politics? So, what's this now?"

Merlin looked at the king with a very intimidating gaze. The condition that the king offered to him for Shin to attend the academy of his nation was that Shin won't be used for anything political.

"I would like to hear about it too... What exactly is going on?"

Melinda also came beside Merlin to hear an explanation from the king.

Everyone became tense with the sudden cold atmosphere. Shin and rest became quiet. While Arthur just looked at how the king would convince the Sage and Guru about it.

"I'm here now because I still believe in my words. A new devil has appeared after decades. The kingdom was verge of destruction due to back then. The people cannot forget that. And now the threat has reappeared... Many people already know about it, as well the fact that it is already defeated. The country can no longer hide these facts."

"I know that! I am asking why he is getting a medal?!"

"Merlin-dono and Melinda-dono... you two received a medal when you two defeated the devil. So, Shin-kun also has to get a reward for the same achievement."

The king's logic is pretty simple. The fact devil reappeared is known to many people, and the fact that it is defeated is already a talk among the masses.

And to appease the people, he has to give them a medal of same honour as the Sage and Guru, since they also defeated a devil.

"Of course, some people will try to take advantage of it, but I will stop them will all my might. I can even declare that during the awarding ceremony. So please allow it. It is not for my sake, but for the sake of the people. Please...!!!"

'For the sake of the people...'

Arthur looked at the King bowing down to the Sage and Merlin. This king made him feel that he is a really good king that works in the interest of common people.

He is giving the medal to uphold the people's wishes of honour for the one who defeated the devil.

'This King is not like from those of Bluesphere Empire.'

Unlike Bluesphere Empire, where nobles don't even look at commoners, this king is very good. Better to say too good, that he would even give up his pride for the interests of common people.

And that's why...

'I don't like it.'

As a modern person with a firm believer of democracy, it's not like he dislike kings. On the contrary, Arthur loves kings. His own name is what he borrowed from a king.

In his previous life, he watched different kings in anime, and their ideology, their way of living and used to admire it.

And his impression of the King of Earlshide - Diseum Von Earlshide is that he likes him but... he don't admire him.

'Who would follow him?'

A king that bows his head in front of someone. How could someone follow him?

Looking at Diseum, Arthur could say from certainty that if not for his bloodline that he was a prince, he would never become a king from the start.

4